Honda Odyssey Forum banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Carr
Having just traded my Pilot for an Ody, I had a couple of salesmen comment on how clean my Pilot was. I had vacuumed it and run it though the car wash ( then hit it with some Griot's Speed shine and tire gloss) before going to the dealerships, but nothing major like a complete detailing.

Does it make much of a difference how clean a vehicle is for trade-in value? I had one sales manager comment on what great shape it was in, then offer (to the DOLLAR) Kelley Blue Book "fair condition" value.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi carr..in case somebody ask again about ext. warranty for EGR...I had mine covered in canada, EGR 2001 LX/EX (from new dad new van) . 3wks ago i had the CEL/TCS light on...now its owrking fine after warranty replaced it.....thx again

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
to waynerd

the cleaner the car the more it is worth. but I would rate the following in order of importance

1) overall condition
2) current mileage
3) previous work done /work needed
4) what the overall market is for the car.
5) how quickly or slowly the car may sell on my lot or how quickly i can turn the car wholesale if it is not a retail unit.

the one killer on most cars is mileage. figure in metro areas 12000 miles or less per year will generally be worth more. if you average 18000 or more the car will take a big mileage hit after 2 years of ownership.

just observations.
carr

·
Registered
47 Posts
Carr,

I've been reading through this forum and have found it very informative. Please excuse me if I have missed yoru responses to these questions.

1. Why does Honda require me to buy the Rear Entertainment System in order to get the Navigation system? While $2000 for the NAV is a ridiculous price alone...making me spend another $1500 for the RES makes it ridiculous. Does one have something to do with the other electronically? We DO not want a RES for our child...so it looks like we're going to be forced to use a 3rd party solution and have to deal with cords ::ugh::

2. This is a question I've talked about with a friend of ours that owns a VW & Volvo dealership...Why does it seem that the auto resale industry makes buying a car so painful? The sales tricks (I have to to talk to my manager, "documentation fees", "market adjustments, etc...and so on). The outright lying (We have that car in that color in stock...). I know not all dealers do this...but I'm 48 and have owned quite a number of vehicles and can only think of one relatively pleasant sales experience (Saab dealer - unfortunately the car wasn't that pleasant to own - but that wasn't their fault).

3. Why does it take longer to finalize the purchase of a car (cash) than it does to close on a house with a mortgage? I'm an attorney and do a lot of closings. We can rap one up in under two hours easily. Have never been able to purchase a new car in under an entire afternoon.

I'm certainly not accusing you or your dealership of these faults...just looking for your thoughts.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Ken S said:
3. Why does it take longer to finalize the purchase of a car (cash) than it does to close on a house with a mortgage? I'm an attorney and do a lot of closings. We can rap one up in under two hours easily. Have never been able to purchase a new car in under an entire afternoon.
When I bought my Oddy..I called..we agreed on a price...I went to the dealer..Handed them my credit card....They wanted me to finance it and mademe watch a short video as to why I should finance it....At the end of the video..they asked now would you like to finance it.....

I said no!! run my card so I can get my van and be off...I was out of there in under an hour...I refused to meet with the extend warranty people or the accessories people...

·
Registered
47 Posts
You paid for your car with a credit card? Most dealers I know won't take one because of the fees.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rear alignment problems on 2000 Odyssey

Hey there, I appreciate the ongoing discussion here. Very informative. I wonder if you can shed any light on how a dealer deals with rear end toe alignment on vehicles with the rear cam bolt rusted in place. I have experienced this in the past on other Hondas and reluctantly replaced the lower control arm to rectify. What do you guys do? Its frustrating to think that before even before paying for/doing a simple alignment, we need to buy replacement parts that have consistantly on many Honda models over the past decade rusted beyond repair. A few of us have been discussing this recently with no "good" solution yet.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=33112

Thanks for your help.

Dave.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Ken S said:
You paid for your car with a credit card? Most dealers I know won't take one because of the fees.
30K Baby!!!!! Got me 300.00 Cash back on my card as well!!!:stupid:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best time to buy?

I'm considering buying an Odyssey as soon as the next month or two. I'm in no big hurry. What's the best time to buy, from a consumer point of view?

For example, is it true that the end of the month is always better? Is the end of December better than the end of January, the other way around, or does it make no difference?

Thanks,
jasper77

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Lots of theories..End of month and End of year should be a very good time to buy..Nice Combo..That is what I am hoping on for my next GTO

·
Registered
236 Posts
What's the best time to buy, from a consumer point of view?
Yeah, end of year is always good, but so is January (at least up north here). When I was looking for my Pilot (and at a Ford Windstar or Expedition:rolleyes: ) the initial prices quoted in January took a lot of negotiating to get close to in June when I finally bought the Pilot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 odyssey??

has anyone heard anything new about the 2008 model?? carr?? if so can u inform me on what they are going to add/make std. or if the rumors are true and Honda is going to do a complete overhaul... anyways i waiting on pins an needles.................

·
Registered
227 Posts
I saw a honda of lisle Civic in front of me at a stoplight in Virginia and almost followed the guy to ask if about his purchase . . . since I got my Ody from Honda of Lisle . . . . I just thought it was funny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Odyssey Revisions Coming?

I am considering purchasing a 2008 Odyssey Touring non-Pax and was wondering if Honda has any plans in the near future ('09 or '10) to offer some sort of Hybrid or other technology that would significantly boost the mileage in this vehicle? Also, when is the next major restyle due?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Honda has said that they will only offer hybrids in small vehicles so I don't believe that this is in the future.

thanks

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
carr said:
Honda has said that they will only offer hybrids in small vehicles so I don't believe that this is in the future.

thanks
4-5 dollar a gallon gas.......They had better make it in their future

Not that they will ever see my money again

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey! Who woke up the dawg? :D

81 - 100 of 115 Posts