Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Please believe me when I say I've turned the forum inside out looking for tire advice - I know that Search is our friend. But I haven't really been able to find what I'm most curious to know.

Our 2015 EX could use some new 3-season shoes. I have dedicated winter tires and therefore could not care less about how all the options in the marketplace do on snow or ice. I know that "all-weather" tires and the "mountain/snowflake symbol" are the latest big thing in the tire industry. So all the reviews and promotional materials I've seen wax poetic about how these new tires do in the winter, which is about the only characteristic I don't want to hear about.

There are some fairly decent tire sales that have come up in my neck of the woods recently and so I've gotten quotes for both the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady and Continental TrueContact Tour within two dollars of each other. I'm interested in feedback, experiences and/or informed opinions on which of these two tires are likely to give the best performance in terms of ride, low road noise, and longevity over usage between April and October - they will practically never see snow. I also have a quote for Goodyear Assurance Maxlife that is coming in about fifty bucks higher than these other two. I would spring that much more if they are the better choice.

Thanks in advance for the discussion and help.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tire rack has reviews of both, unfortunately not in a side by side

Truecontact tour vs. Goodyear assurance maxlife and michelin defender T+H

Assurance weatherready vs. Cooper CS5, Firestone weathergrip, and Yokohama Avid Ascend

From the reviews, the Continental sounds like the better tire out of the two (and is less expensive on tire rack, anyway)
Thanks for this. At the very least, it suggests that there probably isn't much reason to fork out the extra dough to get the Assurance Maxlife over the TrueContact Tour.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks for this. At the very least, it suggests that there probably isn't much reason to fork out the extra dough to get the Assurance Maxlife over the TrueContact Tour.
Have had good experiences with Continental...

Also been experimenting over the past few years with non brand name, and have had good success for the price point.
Nitto (toyo) and Nexen (korean) to name a couple...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just got a set of Goodyear Assurance Maxlife a few weeks ago from a local outfit. They talked me into signing up for a Goodyear credit card which got me a $125 discount which put me ~$4 under the tires I was going to get. Can't really give much of a review yet. I mostly use my Ody to travel highway to work and back or long hauls and so far they ride well. I don't corner fast or beat the Ody, that's what my truck is for ;) so I haven't pushed them or had to push them yet. I listen to music constantly so not sure how "quiet" they are, but I didn't buy them to be quiet. The tires I was looking at were rated at 75,000 mi... but these are rated at 85,000 mile...and I certainly hope they last that long.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Im on my second set of continental purecontact on my Accord and love them

Anyone aware of Odyssey size tires that have a rim protector, like these? my spouse likes to rub curbs.
50d32317-d4b2-44bb-bc32-6b970d52d03b_1.12a5bd8bf37ef0c10b9a70f31453b787.jpeg

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Even though I'm not currently in the tire biz it was very recent. The WeatherReady is an "all-weather" tire getting the three snowflake designation for winter use and as such is probably a waste if you are running winter tires. Of course it can vary by size, but the WeatherReady is likely significantly more money and not worth it if you're going to garage them in the winter. Quite frankly, as heavy as the Ody is you are generally better off with a tire that was designed for the SUV/CUV market rather than a tire designed for passenger cars, and in that vein my suggestion would be the Continental CrossContact LX25, but a real sleeper value would be the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 as it is a great tire also designed for heavier vehicles. Both those tires (size 235/65/17) carry a 108 load rating or 2,205 lbs per tire vs the typical 1,984 lb rating of the 104 rating class tires. They will ride a tad more firm, so if that bothers you stick to a 104 load rated tire. The CrossContact LX25 will be the quieter of the two while the Sumitomo will perform better at highway speed on wet roads. One other worthwhile consideration for the 104 class would be the General Atlimax RT43. General being owned by Continental shares a lot of their tech with General branded tires and the RT43 is as good as the TrueContact Tour for about $64 less a set. The WeatherReady is a great tire and I am a huge fan, but only if you truly want to use it to avoid swapping into winter tires IMO. Feel free to ask about any other tire you may be interested in.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Im on my second set of continental purecontact on my Accord and love them

Anyone aware of Odyssey size tires that have a rim protector, like these? my spouse likes to rub curbs. View attachment 154746
Unfortunately all of the tires with that feature are made in low profile sizes specifically for sports cars where that is typically a more common issue. Light truck tires primarily designed for off-road use also tend to incorporate similar tech to protect the rims when guys lower tire pressure for better traction meaning the rim is also at more risk.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Even though I'm not currently in the tire biz it was very recent. The WeatherReady is an "all-weather" tire getting the three snowflake designation for winter use and as such is probably a waste if you are running winter tires. Of course it can vary by size, but the WeatherReady is likely significantly more money and not worth it if you're going to garage them in the winter. Quite frankly, as heavy as the Ody is you are generally better off with a tire that was designed for the SUV/CUV market rather than a tire designed for passenger cars, and in that vein my suggestion would be the Continental CrossContact LX25, but a real sleeper value would be the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 as it is a great tire also designed for heavier vehicles. Both those tires (size 235/65/17) carry a 108 load rating or 2,205 lbs per tire vs the typical 1,984 lb rating of the 104 rating class tires. They will ride a tad more firm, so if that bothers you stick to a 104 load rated tire. The CrossContact LX25 will be the quieter of the two while the Sumitomo will perform better at highway speed on wet roads. One other worthwhile consideration for the 104 class would be the General Atlimax RT43. General being owned by Continental shares a lot of their tech with General branded tires and the RT43 is as good as the TrueContact Tour for about $64 less a set. The WeatherReady is a great tire and I am a huge fan, but only if you truly want to use it to avoid swapping into winter tires IMO. Feel free to ask about any other tire you may be interested in.
excellent info @pkrface
The sumitomo is a great price!
I burn through tires quick with all the miles I do, and changing tires every 2 years is not uncommon.

cheers..

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have had good experiences with Continental...

Also been experimenting over the past few years with non brand name, and have had good success for the price point.
Nitto (toyo) and Nexen (korean) to name a couple...
Thanks for this. I've had good experiences with Continental as well, but that was on a much smaller vehicle. I had a set of Nittos on my RAV4 that got traded in for the Ody and they were awful. I had them for about a week and decided I couldn't live with the noise. I traded them for a set of Michelin Latitude Tour which were great.

I know that the Latitude Tours are still available, but that tire design is going on 10 years old now - tire technology must have moved forward quite a bit since then.

·
Registered
666 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks for this. I've had good experiences with Continental as well, but that was on a much smaller vehicle. I had a set of Nittos on my RAV4 that got traded in for the Ody and they were awful. I had them for about a week and decided I couldn't live with the noise. I traded them for a set of Michelin Latitude Tour which were great.

I know that the Latitude Tours are still available, but that tire design is going on 10 years old now - tire technology must have moved forward quite a bit since then.
Funny you should say that...
I had Michelin Latitudes on my Hyundai Veracruz with 50-60% tread wear left, and one of the tires was making an awful noise that sounded like a bad wheel bearing.. chuga chuga chuga.
rotated them front to back the noise moved with them.
put on nexen winters last fall and tossed the michelins, will probably drive the nexens year round, since the Veracruz is 4x4.

I had also similar issues with toyos on my 2001 EX Odyssey, both Toyo and Michelins are premium tires.

Which has brought me to the point that I don't care about brand anymore, just good user feedback / reviews.

cheers

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Which has brought me to the point that I don't care about brand anymore, just good user feedback / reviews.

cheers
You're absolutely right about this - good tires can come from lots of different manufacturers. That's really why I needed to reach out to you all. I know how much I don't know.

I've focused in on these two because Goodyear has a 15% discount plus a $120 mail-in rebate on the Assurance WeatherReady, while Canadian Tire has a 25% discount on the TrueContact Tour. I've read that the Altimax RT43 is good but it's not on the same kind of sale as the Contis, so they actually come out a bit more expensive.

Obviously, these are very uncertain times and I'm really wanting to get the best tire I can for as little as possible. I'm not in a position to drop a grand on new tires for the van. No way, no how.

I'm grateful for the advice and suggestions. ?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
You're absolutely right about this - good tires can come from lots of different manufacturers. That's really why I needed to reach out to you all. I know how much I don't know.

I've focused in on these two because Goodyear has a 15% discount plus a $120 mail-in rebate on the Assurance WeatherReady, while Canadian Tire has a 25% discount on the TrueContact Tour. I've read that the Altimax RT43 is good but it's not on the same kind of sale as the Contis, so they actually come out a bit more expensive.

Obviously, these are very uncertain times and I'm really wanting to get the best tire I can for as little as possible. I'm not in a position to drop a grand on new tires for the van. No way, no how.

I'm grateful for the advice and suggestions. ?
Absolutely agree with your method and criteria. I sold a crap ton of RT43's, but any time there was a rebate on the TrueContact Tour that made them the same money or cheaper I switched up my recommendation.

Something else to add to the concept that good tires come in brands other than the top tier manufacturers, the opposite is true as well. There are some really crappy tires made by the best brands as well. Just because it says Goodyear, Continental, etc., on the sidewall doesn't mean it's a good tire. And even within the same model line there can be a wild difference. The Goodyear Assurance line, while there isn't what I would consider a crappy tire in that line, the Assurance All Season is just so-so. The MaxLife is good for super long life, but the tweaks to the rubber compound means it compromises traction on wet roads and as the temperature drops enough that I personally wouldn't want it on my car in those climates where dedicated snow tires aren't needed, but get a little snow/ice and temps 0-35F in the winter.

One more thing to add. I can't emphasize enough how much faster the Ody will wear through a car based tire. If you are OK with that because you only plan to keep the car for 30-40K summer miles or you are really after a soft/quiet ride then there is nothing wrong with using a 104 load rated tire, but if you don't mind the slightly firmer ride, are loaded fairly heavy on a regular basis, plan to keep the van for 50K+ miles then the Conti LX25 will last enough longer to be worth it and the Sumitomo is an absolute steal. Have a set of the Sumitomo on my son's Toyota Venza and they are doing great. Only 1/32 off of them in 20K miles.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I got the Assurance Weatheready at Sam's Club for $650 OTD, including their great warranty, which includes 'Road Hazard'. Yeah, they have the snowflake, but you shouldn't rule this out because you change to winter tires - it also means better handling of water, mud or anything else you manage to get into. These tires have been great so far including one 1000 mi round trip, 10 hrs out, 10 hrs back, on I-85, which has a lot of rough areas, concrete pavement and other noisy pavement. They've been quiet and care-free. I had one instance of sudden lane change with medium-hard braking and the tires never made a whimper - just did the job. These tires are way better than the original Continentals or the first replacements, Michelin Premier LTX. Both of those were crummy tires - noisy, iffy-handling and low mileage (30,000). Now that mileage has a lot to do with the Odyssey itself which is known to eat tires, along with driving habits and type of mileage driven, like mostly 'city' or highway, but after a few months with the Goodyears I really wish I had bought them the first time. Even if we still only get 30K miles out of them, those miles will be much more enjoyable and much less expensive than the Michelins.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I got the Assurance Weatheready at Sam's Club for $650 OTD, including their great warranty, which includes 'Road Hazard'. Yeah, they have the snowflake, but you shouldn't rule this out because you change to winter tires - it also means better handling of water, mud or anything else you manage to get into. These tires have been great so far including one 1000 mi round trip, 10 hrs out, 10 hrs back, on I-85, which has a lot of rough areas, concrete pavement and other noisy pavement. They've been quiet and care-free. I had one instance of sudden lane change with medium-hard braking and the tires never made a whimper - just did the job. These tires are way better than the original Continentals or the first replacements, Michelin Premier LTX. Both of those were crummy tires - noisy, iffy-handling and low mileage (30,000). Now that mileage has a lot to do with the Odyssey itself which is known to eat tires, along with driving habits and type of mileage driven, like mostly 'city' or highway, but after a few months with the Goodyears I really wish I had bought them the first time. Even if we still only get 30K miles out of them, those miles will be much more enjoyable and much less expensive than the Michelins.
That's a great deal on the WeatherReady! Part of my recommendation away from them for summer use only is the cost, but at that price it makes sense. I agree with your assessment of the performance of the tire, especially wet performance at highway speed. I had a set of the predecessor GY Assurance TripleTred on my '07 and they were an 80K rated tire. They had 81K on them with 6-7/32 remaining when I caught something on one of the sidewalls and was forced to replace them early. They don't make the WeatherReady in 235/65/16 so I opted for a set of General RT43's and boy do I miss my GY's. The biggest difference is how they track (takes more frequent steering input), but I got out the door for $447 and at 222K if I hit a cat this van is totaled lol.

One note on the WeatherReady's. Make sure you stay on top of your rotations! I did my TripleTred's every 5K and never had an issue, but one of the complaints on them has been getting noisy fairly early in their life. They are a directional tire, so they can only be swapped front-rear and vice versa which may contribute to the noise issue.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts