Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
When I came back to Honda and brought a used lease turn-in 2011 Ody, it had lower grade Continentals and I though they were junk. They only had 21,000 miles on them and they were horribly noisy and road auful. Said I would never buy a Continental tire. So I needed new tires for that Ody. Did a lot of research on tires for the Honda Ody. Found review after review saying that the Continental True Contact was the best tire one could put on the Ody. Anyway I went out and brought a set. Best move I've ever made. Ended up putting a new set on the 2011 before I sold it to a family member, and a set of the True Contacts Tour on the new to me 2016 Ody. Also running them on my 2014 CR-V. I recommend them very highly. Those 4 small patches of rubber on each corner of the car is all there is between life and death, so you want the best tire you can get. I do my homework when it comes to tires!!! And I don't make recommendations lightly.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you everyone for all your input. Please keep it coming. We have heard from a lot of respected voices in this thread - I appreciate your generosity. ?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A question for @pkrface: Given that my situation right now is that the TrueContact Tour and the Assurance WeatherReady are exactly the same price for me (two dollar difference out-the-door), what would your recommendation be?

I called a few places yesterday about the CrossContact LX25 and the Sumitomo but their pricing puts them too far outside the budget for right now. I realize that they are an excellent choice for the Ody for all the reasons you've talked about but the bottom line speaks very loudly right now. By the time these tires wear out, hopefully the economy will have recovered and the purse strings can be loosened a little more.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
A question for @pkrface: Given that my situation right now is that the TrueContact Tour and the Assurance WeatherReady are exactly the same price for me (two dollar difference out-the-door), what would your recommendation be?

I called a few places yesterday about the CrossContact LX25 and the Sumitomo but their pricing puts them too far outside the budget for right now. I realize that they are an excellent choice for the Ody for all the reasons you've talked about but the bottom line speaks very loudly right now. By the time these tires wear out, hopefully the economy will have recovered and the purse strings can be loosened a little more.
It's amazing how much tire pricing varies between markets! Here in the mid west US the Sumitomo is $80 a tire cheaper than the WeatherReady which narrows the gap a bit with a $75 rebate, but still significantly more expensive OTD.

With it down to those two at the same cost it basically becomes a matter of which tire characteristics are more important to you. The Continental will be very smooth and whisper quiet, but will tend to require a tad more steering input. The WeatherReady will ride a tad firmer, track straighter, and be a bit noisier for those who are sensitive to that. The WeatherReady will have a slight edge for highway speed wet traction, but not by much. The Continental holds a significant treadwear warranty advantage at 80K vs 60K for the WeatherReady, but as already noted it's not just about tread life, but about what the tire does for you while you are using it. I've had tires that wore just fine, but I couldn't wait to get rid of them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Pluses on mine for around 25,000 miles and have been very pleased. They are a bit noisier than a car tire and ride a little bit firmer. They have a 104H rating. The handling both in wet and dry weather has been superb.

these pictures were taken today so you can pretty much see what kind of wear we've put on them.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts

same problem for me here... I am also shopping around for summers/all seasons as well, The kelly tires (goodyear) that lasted 2 summers went in the bin last fall.

The Sumitomos are only available by one supplier across the country (KalTire) and they are 183 CAD bux a piece.
Another supplier I deal with, can get the altimax RT43 for 170 each.

The goodyears assurance weather ready are 254 each.
I see there is a goodyear rebate for 120 total, so that would be 224 a tire.

All not including mount balance or taxes and effin enviro fees at 4 bux a tire.

I will inquire tomorrow / monday with some other suppliers, since this is all I could gather on a saturday, but based on the load index of the RT43 and being more a heavy vehicle tire, It's looking like the RT43's for me.

thanks for the input all..

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
same problem for me here... I am also shopping around for summers/all seasons as well, The kelly tires (goodyear) that lasted 2 summers went in the bin last fall.

The Sumitomos are only available by one supplier across the country (KalTire) and they are 183 CAD bux a piece.
Another supplier I deal with, can get the altimax RT43 for 170 each.

The goodyears assurance weather ready are 254 each.
I see there is a goodyear rebate for 120 total, so that would be 224 a tire.

All not including mount balance or taxes and effin enviro fees at 4 bux a tire.

I will inquire tomorrow / monday with some other suppliers, since this is all I could gather on a saturday, but based on the load index of the RT43 and being more a heavy vehicle tire, It's looking like the RT43's for me.

thanks for the input all..
The Sumitomo's are $111 on TireRack here which is why I initially said they were a steal, but quite frankly I would spend the $13 a tire for them vs the RT43's. They will hold up enough better to be worth it. What about Conti CrossContact LX25, or Yokohama Avid Envigor? Are either of those priced right? Have you checked Canadian shipping from TireRack? One other suggestion. Anytime I find an online deal I ask my local tire store if they will match and rarely do they decline.

·
Registered
666 Posts
We get killed on the exchange rate and shipping and customs up here.

Thats $1,044.42CAD at the current exchange rate. Kal Tire sells those out the door for 937.27 CAD

I will investigate your other suggestions (thanks again)

One last thing, is there a correlation between load index and wear, I would assume there is as the Kelly tires lasted 30000 miles rotated every 5k and almost all highway.
They were a 103 load index.

cheers...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
We get killed on the exchange rate and shipping and customs up here.

Thats $1,044.42CAD at the current exchange rate. Kal Tire sells those out the door for 937.27 CAD

I will investigate your other suggestions (thanks again)

One last thing, is there a correlation between load index and wear, I would assume there is as the Kelly tires lasted 30000 miles rotated every 5k and almost all highway.
They were a 103 load index.

cheers...
I would say equal parts load index, driving style, local/highway driving mix, good alignment, and consistent rotation. Not applicable to you, but people that live in the south or south west US have temperature and asphalt recipes to add to the equation as they really struggle with tread life no matter what they do. Back when I was towing our camper 6K+ miles a summer my 80K tires only made 65K. Many factors, but using a heavier load rated tire or a tire made specifically for the SUV/CUV market is one of the easier things to control. My wife is a naturally easy driver and that helps, but habits are hard to change and of course it's nearly impossible to change your mile mix as you drive where and when you need to. One thing I failed to mention in my earlier post, the actual life of the RT43 is likely to be about the same as the WeatherReady despite the difference in tread warranty. I ignore tread warranty for my purchase decisions (use for comparison purposes though) because I pretty much refuse to run under 5/32 tread. Wet performance just suffers too much for my liking and the only way to collect on the warranty is to run the tires below 3/32 which I am unwilling to do. I'll just put new on before I worry about collecting $20 a tire off the new set.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah, the exchange rate is a killer for us Canadians - the only thing I go to Tire Rack for anymore are reviews and ratings. It hasn't made sense to buy anything from there in years. Plus I live too far from the border to make cross-border shopping worthwhile (Calgary to Great Falls, Montana is a 5-hour drive one way). Today's exchange rate is a 43% premium on the US dollar, so 1USD = 1.43 CAD.

With that said, I got a chance to go through this week's flyers and noticed that Canadian Tire has a 20X CT Money bonus on this weekend (for our American friends, Canadian Tire Money is an in-store credit loyalty program up here). So I decided to pull the trigger today on a set of Continental TrueContact Tour tires. Between the sale price and the Canadian Tire Money bonus, the effective out-the-door cost of this set of tires is $740 CAD (or $519 USD). So everything from mounting, balancing, disposal fees and all taxes are all included in that price. I feel like that's a pretty decent deal and it leaves me a very comfortable cushion to get an alignment done at another shop. I trust Canadian Tire to install tires correctly but I'm not sure I want them doing much more than that. They'll be installed tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Good luck CroMath! As long as you make an informed decision you are likely to be happy with your decision. What one person wants in tire characteristics the next person does not.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I ignore tread warranty for my purchase decisions (use for comparison purposes though) because I pretty much refuse to run under 5/32 tread. Wet performance just suffers too much for my liking and the only way to collect on the warranty is to run the tires below 3/32 which I am unwilling to do. I'll just put new on before I worry about collecting $20 a tire off the new set.
I take the same attitude as you in this. Running the tread to less than 3/32" is playing with fire as far as I'm concerned. The OEM Michelins that are getting replaced tomorrow are down to 4/32" and they were showing their age very noticeably in terms of noise and wet traction (or lack thereof). It's not worth it.

I'm generally happy with a set of tires if I can get good consistent performance over 2/3 of the rated lifespan. So if I can get 53,000 miles (or about 85,000 km) out of these tires, I'm thrilled.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, the exchange rate is a killer for us Canadians - the only thing I go to Tire Rack for anymore are reviews and ratings. It hasn't made sense to buy anything from there in years. Plus I live too far from the border to make cross-border shopping worthwhile (Calgary to Great Falls, Montana is a 5-hour drive one way). Today's exchange rate is a 43% premium on the US dollar, so 1USD = 1.43 CAD.

With that said, I got a chance to go through this week's flyers and noticed that Canadian Tire has a 20X CT Money bonus on this weekend (for our American friends, Canadian Tire Money is an in-store credit loyalty program up here). So I decided to pull the trigger today on a set of Continental TrueContact Tour tires. Between the sale price and the Canadian Tire Money bonus, the effective out-the-door cost of this set of tires is $740 CAD (or $519 USD). So everything from mounting, balancing, disposal fees and all taxes are all included in that price. I feel like that's a pretty decent deal and it leaves me a very comfortable cushion to get an alignment done at another shop. I trust Canadian Tire to install tires correctly but I'm not sure I want them doing much more than that. They'll be installed tomorrow morning.
that is a wicked deal, up here in these parts.
?

·
Registered
666 Posts
trust Canadian Tire to install tires correctly but I'm not sure I want them doing much more than that.
Wise man...
Take the tires and RUN...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I would say equal parts load index, driving style, local/highway driving mix, good alignment, and consistent rotation. Not applicable to you, but people that live in the south or south west US have temperature and asphalt recipes to add to the equation as they really struggle with tread life no matter what they do. Back when I was towing our camper 6K+ miles a summer my 80K tires only made 65K. Many factors, but using a heavier load rated tire or a tire made specifically for the SUV/CUV market is one of the easier things to control. My wife is a naturally easy driver and that helps, but habits are hard to change and of course it's nearly impossible to change your mile mix as you drive where and when you need to. One thing I failed to mention in my earlier post, the actual life of the RT43 is likely to be about the same as the WeatherReady despite the difference in tread warranty. I ignore tread warranty for my purchase decisions (use for comparison purposes though) because I pretty much refuse to run under 5/32 tread. Wet performance just suffers too much for my liking and the only way to collect on the warranty is to run the tires below 3/32 which I am unwilling to do. I'll just put new on before I worry about collecting $20 a tire off the new set.
Pulled the trigger on some General Tire Altimax RT43's
845 CAD installed enviro fees and tax, around 600USD
We get gouged on everything up here.

The gentleman at the tire centre, did reveal another piece of info related to wear and tread life.
The speed rating... i don't recall seeing this mentioned but it makes sense.
The higher the speed rating the softer the compound, I usually go with H rating or above, so we will see how these hold up with a T speed rating.

Thanks as well for all the feedback and education on tires.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

The gentleman at the tire centre, did reveal another piece of info related to wear and tread life.
The higher the speed rating the softer the compound, I usually go with H rating or above, so we will see how these hold up with a T speed rating.

That's a good deal on 18s - you did well!

The new shoes went onto our Ody this morning. The ride home was remarkable - so much quieter and smoother. I offer this not as a meaningful endorsement of the new tires but as a comment on how truly at the end of their useful life the old ones were. I'll try to post an update on the TrueContact Tour experience from time to time.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts

Yep, in fact you'll find that in most cases that also changes the tread life warranty. On the RT43 the higher speed rated tires are 65K miles and the lower ones are 75K miles, here in the US of course.

·
Registered
24 Posts
One comment regarding the Assurance WeatherReady tires, as I recently bought a set for my Camry. If it matters to you (as it does to me), the set I have all indicate 'Made in Chile'. I was a bit disappointed to see that, particularly at their price point. The last set of GY's I bought at this price were made in Canada, I believe.

If you're not in a hurry, one thought is to wait until Memorial Day for retailers (Discount Tire, in my case) to offer additional rebates...I see the GY rebate is good through June 30th.

·
Registered
666 Posts
One comment regarding the Assurance WeatherReady tires, as I recently bought a set for my Camry. If it matters to you (as it does to me), the set I have all indicate 'Made in Chile'. I was a bit disappointed to see that, particularly at their price point. The last set of GY's I bought at this price were made in Canada, I believe.

If you're not in a hurry, one thought is to wait until Memorial Day for retailers (Discount Tire, in my case) to offer additional rebates...I see the GY rebate is good through June 30th.
CroMath and myself are in Canada...
I suspect there will be a lot of specials when the dust settles from this economic disaster.

Also, Chilean labor must be cheaper than Canada's, even with the exchange rate!

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You got me wondering, so I checked my tires. The Continental TrueContact Tours that I bought were manufactured between May 13 and May 19, 2019 at General Tire and Rubber's plant in Mount Vernon, Illinois. Not that it matters now, but curiosity gets the better of me more often than not. ?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts