Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi everyone,

Please believe me when I say I've turned the forum inside out looking for tire advice - I know that Search is our friend. But I haven't really been able to find what I'm most curious to know.

Our 2015 EX could use some new 3-season shoes. I have dedicated winter tires and therefore could not care less about how all the options in the marketplace do on snow or ice. I know that "all-weather" tires and the "mountain/snowflake symbol" are the latest big thing in the tire industry. So all the reviews and promotional materials I've seen wax poetic about how these new tires do in the winter, which is about the only characteristic I don't want to hear about.

There are some fairly decent tire sales that have come up in my neck of the woods recently and so I've gotten quotes for both the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady and Continental TrueContact Tour within two dollars of each other. I'm interested in feedback, experiences and/or informed opinions on which of these two tires are likely to give the best performance in terms of ride, low road noise, and longevity over usage between April and October - they will practically never see snow. I also have a quote for Goodyear Assurance Maxlife that is coming in about fifty bucks higher than these other two. I would spring that much more if they are the better choice.

Thanks in advance for the discussion and help.
I battled with this exact same question when I replaced my tires last November. Let me make this easy for you. The minute your Continentals get a nail in them the WARRANTY IS VOID. Don't believe me then check their website. They will not honor the warranty on a patched tire, regardless. I purchased a set of WeatherReadys and I am very happy with my decision. I owned a set of Goodyear TripleTreds which I thought were the best tires you could buy until I tried the WeatherReadys which are now my favorite tire. I keep mine on all year and they have amazing traction in all weather. Just buy them. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
CroMath and myself are in Canada...
I suspect there will be a lot of specials when the dust settles from this economic disaster.

Also, Chilean labor must be cheaper than Canada's, even with the exchange rate!
The usual rules and patterns are likely to go out the window this year. I could just as easily foresee companies trying to lure business in with fat discounts as I could foresee them deciding that they can't afford to give up so much revenue and choosing to keep their powder dry for now and not offer big sales. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I battled with this exact same question when I replaced my tires last November. Let me make this easy for you. The minute your Continentals get a nail in them the WARRANTY IS VOID. Don't believe me then check their website. They will not honor the warranty on a patched tire, regardless. I purchased a set of WeatherReadys and I am very happy with my decision. I owned a set of Goodyear TripleTreds which I thought were the best tires you could buy until I tried the WeatherReadys which are now my favorite tire. I keep mine on all year and they have amazing traction in all weather. Just buy them. You won't regret it.
Thanks for this - it's great information to have for future reference. But I'm never in a position to take advantage of a tire warranty because I consider running a tire down to 2/32" tread depth unsafe. I will never do it. And because I do all my own tire swaps and rotations, I have trouble proving to tire companies that I've been doing it "properly" and on their schedule so I can't even apply for proration if they wear out early. As such, warranties are not a meaningful factor in my decision making process when buying tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2010 Odyssey touring that I put Goodyear Comfortred Touring on it about 10K ago. So far so good. I put 90K on the Comfortred on my 2014 Ford Escape AWD and the tires were still at 4/32 when I turned it in. They are quiet and have good traction.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Did you have your nail in tire scenario in the first 12 months? If yes then the dealer refusing to repair or replace the tire was not following official Continental protocol. If after 12 months and you passed on the installing dealer's offer of hazard coverage then yes, you are on your own. I offered hazard coverage to everyone I sold tires to and even had a line item for the decline if they opted not to purchase simply because customers seem to get amnesia later when faced with a sidewall puncture that can't be repaired and forces them to buy a new tire. Yes, the hazard coverage is like any other add on warranty in that it is a profit center for the tire store. On average the customer doesn't come out on the deal, but many want the piece of mind. The dealer comes out on it because they spread their risk out over thousands of tires while your risk is on 4 tires and typically 2 flat repairs break you even.

I've had several incidences of a husband or father buying tires for the wife/daughter and they respond "oh heck yes" when offered the warranty because as they say the wife/daughter has never seen a curb they didn't want to hit. In several cases I had those cars back in a week putting on a new tire. Others pay for several tires out of pocket before they conclude they should buy it. OTOH, my wife got 81K out of her last set with not one repair or replacement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got the Assurance Weatheready at Sam's Club for $650 OTD, including their great warranty, which includes 'Road Hazard'. Yeah, they have the snowflake, but you shouldn't rule this out because you change to winter tires - it also means better handling of water, mud or anything else you manage to get into. These tires have been great so far including one 1000 mi round trip, 10 hrs out, 10 hrs back, on I-85, which has a lot of rough areas, concrete pavement and other noisy pavement. They've been quiet and care-free. I had one instance of sudden lane change with medium-hard braking and the tires never made a whimper - just did the job. These tires are way better than the original Continentals or the first replacements, Michelin Premier LTX. Both of those were crummy tires - noisy, iffy-handling and low mileage (30,000). Now that mileage has a lot to do with the Odyssey itself which is known to eat tires, along with driving habits and type of mileage driven, like mostly 'city' or highway, but after a few months with the Goodyears I really wish I had bought them the first time. Even if we still only get 30K miles out of them, those miles will be much more enjoyable and much less expensive than the Michelins.
I think we got the same deal, but the tire person gave us the savings twice, so our WeatherReadys were under $600 OTD. I usually get tires through TireRack, but the deal at Sams was too good. I have had good luck finding closeouts at Tirerack. I just got a set of nice highly-rated Pirelli's for my 2014 Equinox for $104 per tire to my door after rebate. For 18" tires, they were a huge bargain. Yes they were made in January 2019, but still ride and look great. We had numerous sets of Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds on our 06 Ody for its last 200k miles. Those are excellent tires too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had both but different cars.
Ran Contis on my wife's Odyssey and loved them so when it came time to replace the factory Contis on my Subaru Outback. My mechanic talked me into trying the GY Assurance. My number one criteria was a quiet ride.
I was disappointed with the Assurance.
Traded my Outback for a 2015 Odyssey and put Contis TrueContacts on it... Just love them... very quiet.
Handling of the Assurance and TrueContact are both really good on dry and pretty good on wet YMMV.
I would not hesitate to buy either for their quality. TrueContact has the edge with me with less noise.
I run Bridgestone Blizzaks on both Odysseys for the winter.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have had both but different cars.
Ran Contis on my wife's Odyssey and loved them so when it came time to replace the factory Contis on my Subaru Outback. My mechanic talked me into trying the GY Assurance. My number one criteria was a quiet ride.
I was disappointed with the Assurance.
Traded my Outback for a 2015 Odyssey and put Contis TrueContacts on it... Just love them... very quiet.
Handling of the Assurance and TrueContact are both really good on dry and pretty good on wet YMMV.
I would not hesitate to buy either for their quality. TrueContact has the edge with me with less noise.
I run Bridgestone Blizzaks on both Odysseys for the winter.
Which Assurance tire? There are 5 of them. All-Season, MaxLife, Fuel Max, ComforTred, and WeatherReady. There are significant differences in tire characteristics between each model. The ComforTred and WeatherReady are the only two I would consider simply because the other models don't offer a value that I couldn't beat with another brand. On top of that there are some proprietary versions available at Walmart and possibly other national chains I am not aware of. I am a big fan of Conti/General, but even they sell some duds so you have to know what you are buying.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just bought the Assurance Weatheready's for my '16SE to replace the OEM Michelins. I had always been a Michelin man (in fact, these days with the gyms closed I'm starting to look like THE Michelin Man). But I LOVE the ride of the Assurances. Noticeably softer ride. Seem to grip the road better, but that's a subjective opinion. I even went ahead and bought a set for my wife's Outback to replace the bad OEM tires. Stay safe people. We're in this together, alone.

·
Registered
124 Posts
FWIW, we had the Goodyear assurance comfortread installed new on our '08, back in 2016. these were great tires, quiet ride, good fuel economy, no complaints whatsoever. we drove from Kansas city to California with 6 people and the van fully loaded, super smooth ride. i kept them at 32psi, rotated them at every oil change, we sold the '08 in 2019 with about 30,000 miles on these tires, the tread was still far from the wear indicators. i would put them on again in a heartbeat. one thing to note, we got them at Sams Club and were told we could have free balance and rotate for the life if the tire, at any wal-mart or sams club nationwide. what we WEREN'T told was that 1) you have to maintain your Sams membership in order to take advantage of this and 2) we tried 3 different wal-marts in an attempt to get a balance and rotate, they all told us that wal-mart and Sams aren't affiliated in terms of tires any more. Now we have a 2012, i just had the truecontacts installed about 2 months ago so i can't attest to the longevity of them. i chose the continentals over the goodyears because of price, it was about a $100 difference. we took a 500 mile road trip about 2 weeks after the continentals were installed. the van had a nasty highway shimmy and that went away about 95% after switching to these. in terms of ride noise, they were better than the ones they replaced but not as quiet as i expected. to be fair, the 2012 has always had more highway noise than the '08, even before we had the goodyears installed on the '08. with the continentals on the 2012, i have no real complaints. no highway shimmy, smooth ride, we hit alot of rain and some snow going over the Sierra's on our trip and had no problems. all this considered, i would buy either tire again although my time with the continentals has been short so far. Just beware buying from wal-mart or Sams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

Please believe me when I say I've turned the forum inside out looking for tire advice - I know that Search is our friend. But I haven't really been able to find what I'm most curious to know.

Our 2015 EX could use some new 3-season shoes. I have dedicated winter tires and therefore could not care less about how all the options in the marketplace do on snow or ice. I know that "all-weather" tires and the "mountain/snowflake symbol" are the latest big thing in the tire industry. So all the reviews and promotional materials I've seen wax poetic about how these new tires do in the winter, which is about the only characteristic I don't want to hear about.

There are some fairly decent tire sales that have come up in my neck of the woods recently and so I've gotten quotes for both the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady and Continental TrueContact Tour within two dollars of each other. I'm interested in feedback, experiences and/or informed opinions on which of these two tires are likely to give the best performance in terms of ride, low road noise, and longevity over usage between April and October - they will practically never see snow. I also have a quote for Goodyear Assurance Maxlife that is coming in about fifty bucks higher than these other two. I would spring that much more if they are the better choice.

Thanks in advance for the discussion and help.
I have a 2010 EXL and recently put on Michelin Defender's T&H.
While I am an automotive engineer I am not a tire or suspension expert.
Evenso, I was amazed that these tires make my Oddy drive like a new greatly improved car.
I have no idea about the structure of these tires or the interaction of the dynamics with the suspension, but hey, I am not going to argue.
Just wanted to share if it helps someone.
The specs are: Michelin-Defender T&H-235/65R16
I don't know the weights of the 4th and 5th gen Oddys, or those recommended sizes.
Will leave that research to anyone interested.
DB

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yep, in fact you'll find that in most cases that also changes the tread life warranty. On the RT43 the higher speed rated tires are 65K miles and the lower ones are 75K miles, here in the US of course.
got the RT43's installed today.
840 CAD tax in, plus a 40 dollar rebate from General.
800 CAD / 567 USD for 18" tires is a smoking deal up here.

fabulous tire, quiet ride and responsive.
nothing like a new set of shoes!

Thanks again for the advice.

R

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
got the RT43's installed today.
840 CAD tax in, plus a 40 dollar rebate from General.
800 CAD / 567 USD for 18" tires is a smoking deal up here.

fabulous tire, quiet ride and responsive.
nothing like a new set of shoes!

Thanks again for the advice.

R
No problem. Glad you like them. Coming off the GY Assurance TripleTreds (predecessor to WeatherReady) I really liked the crisp handling and firmer ride of the GYs, but alas they were not available in my size anymore (neither were the Sumitomos) and any tire I considered a better choice than the RT43 was only a marginal preference and not worth the extra money. Of course the 16" tires are cheaper, but I was out the door for $445 US after tax and rebate. The only choices that were cheaper were pure junk. I'm getting used to softer ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm surprised there is no mention in this thread about the Federal Couragia XUV tires. Great grip, nice treadwear and great price. I had Cooper tires and hated them, they had the worst wet traction I've seen in a tire I would never buy them again.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm surprised there is no mention in this thread about the Federal Couragia XUV tires. Great grip, nice treadwear and great price. I had Cooper tires and hated them, they had the worst wet traction I've seen in a tire I would never buy them again.
never even heard of that brand in these parts.
chinese?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
never even heard of that brand in these parts.
chinese?
Taiwan, to be precise. It's important to make the distinction, if for no other reason than to raise the blood pressure of the Chinese government.

I still wouldn't buy them.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Taiwan, to be precise. It's important to make the distinction, if for no other reason than to raise the blood pressure of the Chinese government.

I still wouldn't buy them.
Taiwan is certainly an ally...

Buy yea, im pulling away as much as possible for anything MIC.
bloody hard!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, they are Taiwanese, so far they have outperformed the previous cooper's I had. Those Cooper only lasted about a year and half and had terrible grip.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Yeah, they are Taiwanese, so far they have outperformed the previous cooper's I had. Those Cooper only lasted about a year and half and had terrible grip.
So one thing to note here regarding your comments on Cooper, every tire model is engineered with certain characteristics that compromise other characteristics. Brand seriously has nothing to do with it and you can't label all tire models of a particular brand with the same positives or negatives. Just make sure the tire you are buying has the characteristics that are important to you. Softer rubber compounds mean better traction, but less tread life and potentially less fuel economy. Low rolling resistance tires give great fuel economy, but wet, snow, cold traction suffers. More aggressive tread patterns give better traction, but reduced wear. Every feature is traded for another. I've never been a huge Cooper fan, but I'm not scared of them when the situation is right. There are some imported tires or store brand tires that deliver good value and others that their only selling point is cheap, but if that is what you need today make your best informed decision.

PS tire life is affected by many things, including but not limited to, driving style, rotation frequency, and road type. When I was in the biz a nearby Air Force base police force would only get 5-7K miles on their front tires no matter what tire you put on. They drove around in circles on concrete. In the South West Us the asphalt is formulated with much higher aggregate content than the North East or Mid West, so where you drive makes a huge difference too.

·
Registered
668 Posts
PS tire life is affected by many things, including but not limited to, driving style, rotation frequency, and road type.
don't forget load and speed rating of the tire.

I learned that from you.
😅

41 - 60 of 69 Posts