Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some car manufacturers say its safe. how about Honda? if ATF isnt safe is prestone the only aftermarket honda alternitive?

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Did you try searching? What were the search terms you used?

This ATF in Power Steering system has been discussed before a few times and comes up everytime some one wants to flush the PS System. You're not driving "some car manufacturer" brand but are driving a Honda. If the fluids worked, they'd list it in the owner's manual. My Nissan's owner's manual lists using ATF in the PS system as they use the same fluid for both systems.

Search and find the big Power Steering Fluid change thread in the 99-04 forum and read up all about it. IIRC, I had given you the search term and link to it last time when you asked about PS fluid change a few months back.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For as often as you have to change it, just put the factory stuff back in there, it's just power steering fluid anyway. I know chrysler uses atf instead, but there's no point to save a few dollars to have possible problems down the road.

·
Registered
369 Posts
BlackSpanker said:
some car manufacturers say its safe. how about Honda? if ATF isnt safe is prestone the only aftermarket honda alternitive?
It will work, but the two have very different additives and slight viscosity differences.

I would not put ATF in your PS ever...

·
Registered
44 Posts
ATF in the powrsteering system of your Honda will cause the pump to fail. You also run the risk of damaging the steering rack. For the price of the Honda fluid, it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Re: Re: ATF as powersteering fluid

RinconVTR said:
It will work, but the two have very different additives and slight viscosity differences.

I would not put ATF in your PS ever...

This ^

For some reason Honda has a specific PS fluid, use it, or use a specific Honda compatible fluid (they sell at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store)

If you have an EMERGENCY and must add fluid with no Honda stuff available, it is ok to use ATF for a very short period of time, then flush and fill with the correct fluid ASAP. I can't imagine this ever happening to anyone, but good to know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't use ATF. Over time sediment has deposited in the nooks and crannies of the PS system. ATF has detergents in it that will break up the sediment. You could get 5 years worth of crud flowing through your system in 2 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts