Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'll share pics later but having the arms and hands of a 11 year old girl pay off sometimes. I've been able to cut the mounting hole thru the plastic deflector and run the lines to the front all with the front fascia/bumper still installed.

SO question, according to the E-Trailer Derale video they say you're running the ATF loop off the top of the OEM Trans Filter; is this correct? So the top of the OEM Filter to the TruCool, that loops and then the end of the TruCool goes into the original Radiator cooler (where the original hose was run).

About the 8:50 mark of this video:

Derale ATF Cooler Installation

Bonus question, if I'm going to install the Magnefine filter I would do this after the TruCool loop before it goes into the original radiator input?

Thanks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
29 views, no responses; huh.

So the 4454 is installed, mounted to the AC radiator with the lines run through the hole I was able to cut (with the front bumper still on). I covered up the end of the lines and zip tied them off (tucked them out of the way) to connect them when I know "how."

So from is the video correct, run one end of the Cooler loop from the top of the OEM Trans Filter and then complete the loop by connecting it to the stock radiator cooler (where the OEM Filter currently connects)?

I can say this method was not for the big armed or faint of heart. Little doubt it would have been easier to remove and position everything but I didn't have anyone to assist with the front bumper removal and I wanted to see if I could pull it off. ;)

----> OEM Trans Filter ---> TruCool in ----> TruCool out ---> Stock Radiator Cooler IN

If the above is correct, then ---> TruCool out ---> Magnefine Filter ---> Stock Radiator Cooler In

Once I know what's what I suspect I'll pull the battery and airbox off, change the original OEM Trans Filter (I have another ready) and complete this installation.

Thanks for any guidance here!

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
438 Posts
The OEM trans filter (assuming you have the 6-speed trans?) is the return back to the transmission. Your arrows are backwards, and you would be installing the Magnefine filter backwards if you used that flow direction.

-Charlie

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'16 EXL by the way, 49k miles!

Okay, that makes sense as TruCool recommended the stock radiator cooler should be first in the chain. So I just had the direction of flow backwards; THANKS!

So this would be the path:

Stock Radiator Out ---> Magnefine (noting it's flow direction) ---> TruCool In ---loop---> TruCool Out --->
OEM Trans Filter

Correct?

I'm a couple of weeks away from completing the process (cold weather ahead, travel, etc.) but I'll be ready once free time and weather cooperates.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
438 Posts
Sure. You can put the Magnefine anywhere you want, as long as the flow direction is correct. The only time it would be important is if you are re-using an old cooler or something that might have debris in it (you'd want it after anything that might have debris in it). Even then, the OEM filter should catch anything that would cause serious transmission damage.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Sure. You can put the Magnefine anywhere you want, as long as the flow direction is correct. The only time it would be important is if you are re-using an old cooler or something that might have debris in it (you'd want it after anything that might have debris in it). Even then, the OEM filter should catch anything that would cause serious transmission damage.

-Charlie
Yes, exactly how I see it too. So when I did mine (2011 LX with Trucool 4544 and magnefine), I chose the magnefine location mainly based on easy access for future filter changes, which I do at 20k mile intervals.

Also, no matter what various videos or documentation may say, when first installing, I tested the ATF flow direction by momentarily cranking the engine to see which hose spit out the ATF.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed, ugh. TruCool 4454, OEM Trans Filter and Magnefine all installed. Doing this without a rack was tough, just getting the right angles to reach up there and remove clips, position stuff, etc. Doable but it beat me up.

I replaced the OEM Trans Filter by following MrRangers two videos, one airbox/battery and the other the OEM trans filter. It's tight working in there, but removing all this stuffs made a huge difference.

If you're installing the trans cooler on the ac radiator you can, in theory skip removing the front bumper. It's tight in there, but doable. Take the two brackets off ac radiator so it's loose. Then by removing the airbox/battery you have access to the plastic thing you need to cut through. So I did and then ran the lines from the engine area to the front, pulled them up, installed them on the cooler (sitting on top of the engine/radiator), installed the little pads on the back and the did the top two zip tie mounts. It gets tight and tricky to do the bottom two, if you've got big manly arms then don't bother trying this. I was able to weasel my arm in, hold and push the face of the zip tie mount forward while holding on the back. Then wiggle, juggle between the two to tighten them all up. Easy, no. Easy and less time that taking the whole front bumper off, yes. But don't be surprised if you decide to pull it off for ease of access.

Then it was trying to figure out the best way to run the lines and where to put the Magnefine filter in the loop so it's not banging and clanging AND it can be replaced easier in the future. Having replaced the OEM Trans filter I had the old pre-bent and shaped top line from there which I then cut in half. This aimed the Magnefine upwards naturally. I left extra line on this part of the chain so in the future I'll be able to remove the lower line connector and pull the whole assembly down, swap and scoot it back up in there.

IMG_3676.jpg

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost 70 degrees here today, had to run to my "former office" (now closed due to Covid!), grab my keyboard, monitors, etc. Via our ScanGuard II, it's interesting to watch the TruCool tran cooler at work. Temperatures in general seem lower (for like conditions), and you can see the temps go up and stop and go traffic. Once you get moving consistently the temperatures drop, and drop and drop to a nice 130-134F range. These are the temps I used to see with no trans cooler in the dead of Winter on the highway!

This wasn't the most "fun" project I've ever done, but I think it's going to be well worth it long term.

Be safe out there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts