Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just used an oil extractor pump (EWK Plus) to extract engine oil from my 2003 for a quick driveway oil change. It's a convenient way to change the oil without raising the van or making a mess.

So I tried to drain the ATF from the dipstick hole and got nothing... nada... zip. Engine was cold. Van was level. I pushed the extractor tube WAY down through the tube, around some curves. This was the first time I tried the extractor for ATF.

Worried I might be low on ATF, I warmed it and checked the ATF level and it was between the two holes on the dipstick.

I was going for convenience this time, then would drain from the normal drain plug on the bottom the next time I raised the Ody for an oil and filter change. I had read that a top-side drain may only get 2+ quarts, vs the normal 3+ but I was surprised to get nothing. Looks like I'll be raising it sooner than planned.

Thoughts? Concerns?

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
I have no idea if there's a direct pathway from the dipstick tube to the sump. Your experience seems to suggest not.

An extractor is definitely convenient, but the drain plug method is not that bad. It's easier than doing an oil change.

Even draining the sump gets only 3+ quarts (about 1/3 of capacity) like you said. An extractor would get even less, making the job less beneficial WRT refreshing the fluid, which is the goal after all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just used an oil extractor pump (EWK Plus) to extract engine oil from my 2003 for a quick driveway oil change. It's a convenient way to change the oil without raising the van or making a mess.

So I tried to drain the ATF from the dipstick hole and got nothing... nada... zip. Engine was cold. Van was level. I pushed the extractor tube WAY down through the tube, around some curves. This was the first time I tried the extractor for ATF.

Worried I might be low on ATF, I warmed it and checked the ATF level and it was between the two holes on the dipstick.

I was going for convenience this time, then would drain from the normal drain plug on the bottom the next time I raised the Ody for an oil and filter change. I had read that a top-side drain may only get 2+ quarts, vs the normal 3+ but I was surprised to get nothing. Looks like I'll be raising it sooner than planned.

Thoughts? Concerns?
I used my oil extractor (Pella brand) with the smallest tube it came with to drain the transmission fluid on my daughter's 08 and it worked fine for me. Before doing so I drove it up on 2" blocks so I could remove the drain plug and check the magnet. A few oz came out, no big splash or mess which was the reason I used the oil extractor. There was very little metal debris on the magnet.

I'm going to do the drain and fill again this coming weekend but I won't pull the drain plug this time but will do so in a few weeks when we do the 3rd drain/fill.

Did you check how far the extractor drain tube went in ( a bit of masking tape works well) against the dip stick? That may give you a clue as to how far the tube went in. Also, do it warm as it's a lot easier to extract if it's warm. Then pour the old extracted fluid into an empty1gal oil jug with a "window" strip up the side to determine how much you removed.

I replaced about 3.5 qt.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always drained from the drain plug before. I was just going for (what I thought would be) convenience on this one. I didn't measure how far in the tube went, but it was further than just the normal dip stick. Warming it up may have helped.

Given that A) nothing came out and B) the risk to reward ratio is higher than just a normal drain plug drain, I'll stick to the normal drain plug method.

The topside oil change with the extractor was very simple. Next time around will be oil and filter change, so I'll do it the normal way then. Plus I like to look around underneath to keep an eye out for any other issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I like the extractor method as it is less messy when I pull the drain plug. I almost always pull the plug afterwards and get the remaining bit and wipe off the magnet if so equipped. It just dribbles the last bit out instead of a big gush. I don't on our Mazda MX5 Miata if I'm not changing the oil filter. We only drive it 3-4K a summer and it always gets fresh synthetic oil before we put it away for the winter. It gets a new filter every other year when I pull the plug after using the extractor. It's just my preference but always drain with the extractor on an engine/tranny.

In your case maybe you pushed the tube in so far it curled back up out of the fluid, just a guess. You might want to mark the tube a few inches longer than the dipstick and see it you get any out then. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
forgot to mention, I don't know if there is a difference between the 03 and 08 trannys that would make a difference in the ability to use an extractor
Different animals.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
It's so easy to drain the generic 5-speed AT on an Odyssey, might as well use the drain plug and clean the garbage off the magnet.

OF

·
Registered
81 Posts

Thoughts? Concerns?
I just drained over 1 pt out of the dipstick hole of my 02 after overfilling the ATF. I used a vinyl tubing (0.17" ID, 0.25" OD) and a shampoo pump.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
+1. Great idea. If I ever overfilled, I used to loosen the drain plug and let out 200ml, recheck. But pumping out with a tube is so much easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts