Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question regarding the 08200-9017 and 08200-9017a ATF fluid interchangeability.

We have a 2019 EX, with the 9-speed trans. Two months ago, I brought the van in for new tires and also an ATF fluid change. I was told that they didn't have any of the 08200-9017, ATF 3.1 as there was a nationwide shortage.

I called around the northern NJ area and Honda dealers are saying the same thing and that the fluid is on a nationwide backorder. So, I'm considering using the Acura version, 08200-9017a. However, as I have HondaCare for 8 years in total, I wanted to be sure from a warranty perspective that there would be no issue. I emailed American Honda, asking specifically would using 08200-9017 void my transmission warranty and this is the response I got:

Water Rectangle Font Parallel Circle

The answer I was expecting would be either yes or no, not to contact your dealer.

So I called and spoke to someone in customer service, about my case.. Long story short, I was told by the rep that he was not aware of a nationwide shortage of 08200-9017. To which I basically said, you're customer service, how can you NOT know there is a nationwide shortage. The customer service rep initially would not say that using the Acura version, the 08200-9017a, would not void the warranty. After some pushing on my part, he said "It should not void the warranty".

Regardless, I was NOT happy with the response from Honda via email and NOT happy with what I was told by the customer service rep.

So, has anyone reached out to American Honda and gotten a satisfactory answer as to whether the 08200-9017 and 08200-9017a are interchangeable?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
You are overthinking this. Both are type 3.1 ATF manufactured to Honda specifications. Actually, to the specs of the tranny manufacturer, which is not Honda. These transmissions are actually bought by Honda from German ZF Friedrichshafen AG engineering company. Any 3.1 ATF will meet the requirements, whether labeled Honda, Acura, Pentosin, Aisin, Jeep, Mopar, Jaguar or other brand name. Other car makers who buy these trannies from ZF.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the 9 spd is by ZF and if I'm not mistaken the 10 spd is from Honda.

Any fluid manufacturer can claim their fluid meets a specific requirement. Whether it does or not is another matter and whether Honda agrees or not is another matter as well.

Plus, since I have Honda Care, I don't want to deal with the hassle of fighting them to pay for a transmission repair (should my transmission have issues) because I used another labels ATF fluid that claims to be 3.1 and is a direct replacement of Honda's fluid.

If it was that simple, why wouldn't Honda customer service just answer with "No, using the 08200-9017a will not void the warranty" and instead tell me to reach out to a local dealer?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Because they rely on FUD to sell Honda products and service. And fearful people buy them. Do you think they have some special tracer added to the fluid that they will test for when the tranny fails?

Read you OM. I'll bet it even tells you that you should use genuine Honda washer fluid for your windshield. Washer fluid!! That's what they do.

But your car, your $, your choice.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,883 Posts
Keep your receipts and you should be okay.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
BTW, this is what the OM says:
Any damage caused by using a transmission fluid that
is not equivalent to Honda ATF-TYPE 3.1 (or higher) is
not covered by Honda’s new vehicle limited warranty.

Note that when they get into the language subject to Moss-Magnusen statutory requirements, they insert the word equivalent. Because 3.1 from any decent supplier is all that's required.

Reactions: tyman

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Proving something to be equivalent to another if someone is dealing with any manufacturer can be time consuming. I for one do not have the time to fight it out with Honda should there be issues. How much time would be needed to fight that battle? Yes, non-branded are cheaper. I'm seeing Pentosin ATF-9, supposedly a Honda ATF 3.1 equivalent costs a bit over $18 per liter. I'm seeing the Honda 3.1 fluid between $27-35 per quart. Is that cost difference per quart worth it over 40K miles or 3-4 years of driving (at least at the first change)? If I'm under a Honda warranty, no, IMHO. If I have problems, I have the receipts, done by the dealer, using Honda fluid. It makes it a lot harder for Honda to deny a claim. The slope fighting over a transmission repair if I used equivalent fluid would be steeper and/or time consuming.

Once I'm out of warranty, then yes, I would consider using a non-Honda ATF fluid. But again, the cost difference per quart over tens of thousands of miles is really fractions of a cent per mile.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Well you're worried that 3.1 ATF packaged for Honda to be sold through Acura dealers is somehow not equivalent to the 3.1 ATF packaged for Honda to be sold through Honda dealers. This is a futile discussion. FUD conquers all.

Reactions: tyman

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Same thing if the only difference is that one is for Honda and one is for Acura (Honda just puts a different label for their Acura brand)

This thread thousand be closed before it’s turns into which oil do you use type of discussion.

Look at the bottle and look at the manual; if the specs match you can put in any brand oil/ATF and it should not void your warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts