Honda Odyssey Forum banner

ATF leaked out

528 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Bear3412
Due to rust, the transmission cooler line dripped out most of the ATF in my 06. The van limped a couple miles (locally), home with slipping gears and would barely move down the plastic ramp. I plan on replacing the line and refilling the ATF with MaxLife. The vehicle had been shifting normally.
Has any permanent damage been done to the transmission?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,178 Posts
No way to know. Fix the line and refill the transmission. I'd suggest doing a drain and fill after driving it a bit. If the fluid is dark or smells burnt, plan on another d&f or two.

• Helpful
Reactions: ody495615

· Registered
06 EXL 175k, 09 180k
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bypassed the radiator lines and installed a small oil cooler. I added a gallon of ATF for now - probably needs more.

Now that the van can drive (pretty important!), I can eventually tackle other leaks.

· Registered
453 Posts
I bypassed the radiator lines and installed a small oil cooler. I added a gallon of ATF for now - probably needs more.

Now that the van can drive (pretty important!), I can eventually tackle other leaks.
That's the only way ( I did that twice to 2 different odysseys). Make sure you fill it back up to about 3.75qt/4 Qt. The oil cooler account a bit more.

· Registered
3,178 Posts
Rather than guessing if you have enough or need to add more, check the fluid level properly. It's in your Owner's Manual:
Rectangle Organism Font Parallel Slope

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

The only thing wrong in the manual is the Z1 ATF recommendation. That was discontinued and replaced by DW-1.

Reactions: ody495615
1 - 9 of 9 Posts