Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been covered before but couldn't find the answer.

1. Does the 2008 have a ATF filter? I plan on doing 4 drain and
fills.
2. I noticed some have installed a ATF Magnefine filter. Any good
or bad? If 2008 already has ATF filter would a Magnefine filter
be benificial?
3. Those of you that use Amsoil ATF. How do you like it? I use
their motor oil and in my other vehicle also use their gear and
ATF oil. Just was concerned about results in the Odyssey.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
1. I believe that 08 filter is internal to the transmission, so if you want to change it, you have to crack the case.

2. N/A

3. I used Amsoil and I have been very pleased with the results. The shifts are better and I can really feel a difference.

BTW, I changed mine at 25k on my 09 last month.

·
Registered
372 Posts
3. Those of you that use Amsoil ATF. How do you like it? I use
their motor oil and in my other vehicle also use their gear and
ATF oil. Just was concerned about results in the Odyssey.

+1 on the question. Thanks to txaggie for your reply!

I am about to switch to Amsoil ATF, and wondering if I am making the right choice. There must be more people running on Amsoil ATF??

My tranny has been flushed twice now with OEM Honda ATF. Once at 22K and again at 30K both under warranty by the dealer. (Torque converter replacement, and 2nd time was for the recall/update/flush). Now at 36K I want to get rid of the Honda ATF to prevent future issues. Am I making the right move?

·
Registered
482 Posts
lots here run amsoil in their transmissions. just do a quick search for amsoil and i'm sure you'll get lots of threads to read

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have switched to Amsoil ATF since starting this thread and like it much better than OEM. I will continue to use Amsoil in the Odyssey for all future ATF changes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
just do a quick search for amsoil
I did exactly that (I am a DVPatel-fearing user :), and searched through 5 pages of search results. Very scattered info about ATF and long term results, I see a few people putting it in, but very few people reporting back if it is worse/better.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I did exactly that (I am a DVPatel-fearing user :), and searched through 5 pages of search results. Very scattered info about ATF and long term results, I see a few people putting it in, but very few people reporting back if it is worse/better.

Thats because the difference is only perception without data.

In some cases I think we can safely assume there is no perceived difference, just like changing motor oil brands. Sometimes its all on our heads.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
...In some cases I think we can safely assume there is no perceived difference, just like changing motor oil brands. Sometimes its all on our heads.
I'm beginning to think it's "in my head", too. I guess the best I can say is that since I started using AmSOil ATF in both Odys, both vans shift just like they did when new...but it may all be "in my cranium".

It's hard to put my finger on it, but shift quality seems a little firmer.

One certain result is that we no longer experience any "clunking" going into reverse after first startup in freezing conditions. I don't see any measureable difference in running temperatures, either, but it seems my mileage was somewhat better during our first winter operating with synthetic ATF.

Then again, it might also be the Mobil 1 5W20 we're using. Some educated posters at the Bob is the Oil Guy Forums have noted that Mobil 1 runs on the "thin" side of the API 5W20 specification.

On an aroma note, the AmSOil ATF sure smells like Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF...maybe I'm just high from the fumes.

We just won't know if it works or not until the patient dies, and I've got over 100,000 miles on both Odys, original trannies, and we use either one alternately to tow almost 3,000 pounds of boat, trailer and stuff to a nearby lake.

OF

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hello,

Sorry for my "Dummies" questions but ....

1. A partial transmission fluid change (3.1 L) is enough after 25000 miles? Technically it would be the 2nd transmission fluid change since at around 30000 miles the torque converter got replaced. Now the car has 52000 miles.

2. When does the ATF ('07 Model) needs to be changed?
3. Should I use the genuine Honda ATF or can I use this one:

LiquiMoly Top Tec ATF 1200
Products - Top Tec ATF 1200

4. Currently the car uses 100% genuine Honda transmission fluid. When just a partial fluid change needs to be done (currently 25000miles since last change) can I mix different transmission fluids from different manufactures?

Cheers,

Niels

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Hello,

Sorry for my "Dummies" questions but ....

1. A partial transmission fluid change (3.1 L) is enough after 25000 miles? Technically it would be the 2nd transmission fluid change since at around 30000 miles the torque converter got replaced. Now the car has 52000 miles.

2. When does the ATF ('07 Model) needs to be changed?
3. Should I use the genuine Honda ATF or can I use this one:

LiquiMoly Top Tec ATF 1200
Products - Top Tec ATF 1200

4. Currently the car uses 100% genuine Honda transmission fluid. When just a partial fluid change needs to be done (currently 25000miles since last change) can I mix different transmission fluids from different manufactures?

Cheers,

Niels
Honda now makes a synthetic ATF called DW-1. I would stick with that since it's synthetic and Honda certifies it compatible with the former Z1. After all the problems with Honda automatics, they aren't going to release anything that hasn't been extensively tested. If you do change brands, you should go all the way and do a 3X drain to minimize any compatibility problems. The only other brand I would trust is Amsoil, but I haven't switched to their ATF because of DW-1.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply.
So a partial transmission fluid change with the Honda genuine oil is the way to go.
And what about the transmission filter? How long does that filter last? When does it needs to be replaced by a new one?

I'm just curious, why does the ATF just needs to have a partial fluid change?

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Honda doesn't specify a service interval for the AT filter. They don't consider it a maintenance item. IIRC, the condition of the filter varies greatly when folks have replaced it and cut open the old one. I guess it depends on the type of driving you do and how often you change the ATF.

The AT gets only a partial change because only about 3.5 litres come out when you pull the plug. The rest remains inside the transmission and the torque converter. In a perfect world, all the ATF would drain out at one time, like engine oil.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Honda now makes a synthetic ATF called DW-1. I would stick with that since it's synthetic and Honda certifies it compatible with the former Z1. After all the problems with Honda automatics, they aren't going to release anything that hasn't been extensively tested. If you do change brands, you should go all the way and do a 3X drain to minimize any compatibility problems. The only other brand I would trust is Amsoil, but I haven't switched to their ATF because of DW-1.
I remember when I bought the car the dealer told me that Honda uses a much better transmission in the 2007 model compared to the '05 and '06 models. Because they experienced some issues with the ones in the '05 and '06 models. Is that correct? Or is the final solution to those issues the new ATF blend?

And I think that my dealer in Germany told last year that Honda (Germany) switched to a better ATF as well. I went to the dealer because the tranny judder issue reoccured but luckily was fixed by a new released AT software. Otherwise he recommended to change the ATF to this new blend.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
I remember when I bought the car the dealer told me that Honda uses a much better transmission in the 2007 model compared to the '05 and '06 models. Because they experienced some issues with the ones in the '05 and '06 models. Is that correct? Or is the final solution to those issues the new ATF blend?
***snip***
Yes, correct. Honda started installing the transmission from the Ridgeline in 2007. It was a completely different design, even though it continued to have 5 speeds. Reliability apparently improved considerably with the new transmission.

Honda released the new DW-1 ATF much later, in late 2010 IIRC.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just did the first drain & fill with DW-1 AT fluid in my 2004. Replaced the AT filter too and now the tranny shifts really smooth. My wife even noticed it; don't know whether the new AT filter or the DW-1 was the major contributor ... maybe both. I'll follow-up with a few more drain & fills in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Been using Amsoil ATF for over 100,000 miles on my 2003 Ody - original tranny with 203,000 miles and still going! I can't recommend the Amsoil ATF and a Magnefine ATF Filter enough!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Doing the first DIY ATF drain-fill on 2001 ody. Orig tran. Had about 60K when I had my mechanic do a drain and bought a whole box of honda DW-1. But looks like he only did a single drain. I returned the left overs. It has been over 15K now, oil is dark and can feel more slippage. I did not get the Magnafine filter or the cooler yet.

Wanted to do the 3x drain at least to get it going. Should I stick with DW1 or go with the same or what I can get my hands on at the moment (castrol/amsoil/valvoline)?

I will order the redline for next time. One of the members also recommended to change pressure switches. I have to get those too.

Procedure (confirm please):

1. Remove drain plug from Transmission and let fluid drain (2.5-3 qts).
2. Refill Transmission. Easiest to fill through the dipstick hole. Funnel with 1/4 OD hose. Keep clamps handy...
3. Drive and go through all gears.
4. Repeat step 1-3.
Have to get a torque wrench too. Fill plug at 33 ft-lbs. Drain plug at ?.

Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My thoughts in blue.

Procedure (confirm please):

1. Remove drain plug from Transmission and let fluid drain (2.5-3 qts).
2. Wipe any sludge accumulated on the drain plug/magnet.
3. Re-Install drain plug. :D
4. Refill Transmission. Easiest to get a long funnel and fill through the fill hole.
5. Drive and go through all gears. I like to drive for about 5 minutes.
6. Repeat step 1-5.

Have to get a torque wrench too. Fill plug at 33 ft-lbs. Drain plug 36 ft-lbs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts