Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, sadly I didn't pay too much attention to the gas mileage since my wife used my first gasoline receipt to put her gum in. I think we did pretty good, I get the idea that it's pretty consistent with what most have been saying - low to mid 20's.

Despite the safety concerns others may have had, I went ahead and bought a 9inch TV/VCR. This was a Sylvania AC/DC set, and much to my surprise had holes just the right size in the front two feet and one in the center/back of the unit. I cut and sanded a piece of plywood, drilled holes to match, and mounted the TV with screws and washers to the board. Then I used some heavy duty velcro straps to fix the conglomoration to the front seat arm rests.

I feel it was in there pretty firm, and am not worried about the safety. It's fixed in there pretty good. I tested the mounting to the plywood by holding the whole thing upside down, by the wood, and shaking. The unit stayed on with no give/cracking/creaking/groaning, so I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm not happy about listening to Toy Story 2 in portuguese 15 times over the course of the trip, though. Tem uma cobra na minha bota! (There's a snake in boot!). Yes, we had numerous other choices, but little boy wanted "Woody" and "Taz". He calls Buzz Lightyear "Taz".

This is the first time I've ever driven all the way to Miami. My parents live in Sarasota, so we stopped there for the first night, and continued on to Miami the next morning. Overall the trip was great. It took just as long as ever, but in the van it didn't seem to be that long. It was just more comfortable than the sports car I replaced with the Odyssey. We didn't have to be careful packing, either, just tossed everything we needed in the back.

We went through alligator alley, which is a really nice drive - there was hardly any traffic, and for both ways I had the cruise control on for hours at a time without having to disengage it for anyone. People actually followed the left hand lane to pass rule.

The fun part was on the way back, the fuel guage was really low. I wanted to get gasoline before getting back on alligator alley, because there's no stations all the way across through that section of I75. The people we were visiting were on the first exit before (or after, depending on which way you're going), and I didn't see any gas stations. With about 50 miles before the end of alligator alley (heading west), the light came on. My wife doesn't know much about the fuel guage problems, and I said "uh oh, looks like we might have some trouble!" But the grin on my face gave me away. Only put about 16 gallons in at the first stop.

Overall it was an excellent ride, although I can't compare it with other minivans or any family cars at all. Sure, I remember the hell of riding in the back of the station wagon when I was 8, but that was when you'd throw the kids in the back and not worry about seat belts or anything. And what's "air conditioning"?

I was extrememly happy with the ride, comfort, and room. I had been looking forward to the trip just to try out the new van, and wasn't disappointed.

I'll try to get some pictures of the TV when I can, if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RAUSTER181:
What is the fuel gauge problem?Sorry I 'm new!!</font>
Ain't no big thang, Rauster - it's just that the low fuel light comes on with about 5-6 gallons still left in the tank. Much previous discussion on this topic; just click on "search" at the top of this page and type in "fuel" - it'll keep you busy for a week or two reading the posts.
Welcome to the forum, also!

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My restless spouse would be interested in the TV. And I'll be interested in getting him comfy. It's hard to keep answering the question, "When are we going to be there?" from a guy in his mid-60's! Oh, and please include earphones in that deal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have some time tomorrow (but I say that a lot) to put up some pictures.

Of course, the TV does have a headphone jack, so if that's your cup of tea...

I may just do this to save my sanity the next trip. Son's only two, but he uses headphones with no problems. I'm sure your husband can't be any worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts