Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my license plates. Honda has provided only the two top holes to hold the back plate and cover in place. Any suggestions for securing the bottom? Did anyone drill holes? It wouldn't be a problem leaving it with the two holes only, but when I closed the back door the plate and cover clanged loudly, and I don't want to bend the cover out of shape. By the way, why don't they provide four holes on the back as they do on the front?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Make sure you tighten the top two screws real tight. If it is still a bit floppy put some rubber or foam on the bottom of the plate.
I wouldnt be drilling holes...

------------------
Edmonton, Alberta
2001 Fern LX

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I have a write up with pics on this coming soon.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
4 Posts
The rattle sound comes from the plastic cover bouncing against the bottom of the metal plate. Unscrew the plate and slightly bend the plate inward so it will sit on the 2 foam pads. Then get the widest black electrical tape you can find and tape the bottom edge of the cover to the back of the plate. There you have it. Peace and quiet. Now what do I do about the kids!

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by achin:
Now what do I do about the kids!</font>
Well, let's see. You grab that same black tape....

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ordered a Key West Parrothead license plate frame from Margaritaville.com and put it on. It has clips that hold the lower part of the plate in place and there is no rattle now.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I put some nuts and bolts through the lower holes and then put some plastic (soft ones) over the ends of the bolts. The caps bear against the metal of the hatch and there is no rattle. It makes a real neat job if you use stainless steel, Phillips head screws, nuts and bolts. If you really want to cut it fine, you can make sure all the crosses of the bolt heads are set north/south, east/west. That's how mine are.....

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the exact same problem and used the following to correct. I went out to the local grocery store and purchased some clear (silicone), self-adhesive, cone bumpers. They are small and low-profile. Very cheap and took me a whole 2 minutes to attach to the back of the license plate. No more loud "clanging" when the back is closed or hit a bump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts