Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week someone tried to break into my ODY using a universal key (screwdriver). Luckily the locks held but they did break both door locks and scratched up the paint on the driver's side door. Luckily I have remote entry so I still could get in the van. Waiting on new locks now.

I also washed the van for the first time (van's about 2 months old) and notice about 5 small dents (dimples) in the rear door near the Honda emblem. They aren't that bad but it doesn't make me happy. I'm not sure if this was a defect that I didn't notice before or if it some damage from some unknown event. I find this unlikely since there are no associated scratches.

My biggest question is should I have body work done at the same time I have the door locks replaced? I have heard that repaints are never as good and you can end up with uneven fading. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
1,484 Posts
It depends on who paints it. You basically get what you pay for. Most of the time if it's a cheap price = cheap paint job. I suggested finding a reputable company that strips off the original paint before applying a new paint. Cheaper paint jobs usually involve just painting over the original. It saves them time and money. Paint jobs like these are often used as a quick comestic fixes when they are trying to sell their car.

By "body work" do you mean painting the entire van or a just a portion of it? Also does this include fixing the dents?

-nemogira

·
Registered
148 Posts
If it is the handles, they already come painted from Honda. Why do handles come painted for all Hondas? -- well, Honda knows there is a weak link at the door handle location. Its a money maker.

Basically, put a THICK piece of metal to overlay the handle to prevent it from being pryed out.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually the handle wasn't scratched, just the door itself. I will be filing an insurance claim so I will be having my local Honda dealer do the work.

I will only have the door repainted and the small strip just below the rear window, hopefully once they fill and sand the small dents.

It is a positive thing that the locks held, although I'm not sure shy they didn't just break the window. I think they were after my new Jensen video unit!

Warehouse

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'd personally try and have a dent removal company, like DENT WIZARD?, remove the dents. the dealer SHOULD have someone that does this, just ask them or look in the yellow pages. DO NOT paint if you don't have to!

------------------
Any Questions, comments...email me: [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts