Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any suggestions for this? Installed my jensen lcd today, and a sony 12 v. vcp and fm modulator. Hooked the vcp to the power outlet under the center console (cigarette lighter socket). When I have the vcp on and the engine running, I can hear a whine that increases or decreases with the rpm of the engine. When I am just using the television, (which I have hooked to a power source in the fuse panel using the "add a circuit" mini plug), I have no audible engine whine that I can hear. Is the audible engine whine when using the vcp with the cig lighter as the power source due to using the cig lighter as the power source instead of some other power source, or is it related to the vcp itself? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hook up all power to the fuse panel with mini pplugs. The whine is caused by the alternator and it travels directly to the cig plug. sounds like you have already figured it out. I also placed a power filter in line to my dvd player. P.S. does the sony give a good picture with the jensen. for 100 I am thinking of adding the vcr as well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rollie66-thanks for the input. I'm going to rewire the vcp this morning and try it out. The 12v Sony vcp is well suited to the Jensen-its a mono audio unit (like Jensen), also has extra jacks for aux input (also mono)works well, built for mobile use. No complaints. Usually available on ebay for around $100.00, sometimes less (watch the shipping costs). I purchased direct from Electronic Giant @$108 (New York) and did not go through ebay.

It will fit beneath the front seats, but sticks out a bit. Not sure if I will permanently mount it, just considering putting it in for long trips and removing it for around town driving.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up-nothing I did made any difference. Still had the engine whine regardless of where the electrical was tapped into. Made sure I had good ground etc.

However, fix was a simple $15.00 noise filter at radio shack. Now the audio is free of whine and noise. Thanks.

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnkalajian:
However, fix was a simple $15.00 noise filter at radio shack. Now the audio is free of whine and noise. Thanks.</font>
Well I guess I'm too late but if your RCA wires are shielded you could eliminate any alternator whine by grounding the shielding wires. But if the noise filter works fine for you then that's all that matters.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hi,
Glad you fixed the noise problem!

Just FYI, for people experiencing noise problems such as alternator whine, the first thing to check is ground integrity. It's best practice to wire all your audio gear to a single, solid ground.

Factory points are good, but oftentimes need to be surface prepped to prevent noise problems. Ground all your gear to a single point, scrape off ALL the paint and primer in that area, and clamp it tight. Multiple ground locations are a recipe for noise. If you find even 0.1 ohm delta between ground points, you can add significant noise to your system.

Then, as you have done, check cables, look for radiative noise sources, and then try noise chokes.

Another thing, for +12V power, I usually run my own high gauge power cable, even for the head unit. Then if I have multiple components, I use a fused distribution box. This does make a big difference, esp if your component sucks down any amount of power (such as an amp, head unit, etc... will). I guarantee you'll see the difference immediately for power, noise, etc...

Anyhow, a little off topic, just thought I'd share my experience...

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
148 Posts
We have worked in many Odys and had problems with engine noise.

Several things to consider.

1. Cheap FM Modulator. There is a difference between our normal FM modulator and our better (higher price FM modulator), you will see a noise supressor on the more expensive unit and gold plated connectors.
2. Sometimes, wiring any headphone jacks directly will cause noise. I recommend not using the headphone jacks of monitors and buying a wireless transmitter (dedicated unit) for the headphones
3. You have ground loops. Nothing you can really do about this. You can try ground loop eliminators, but sometimes the equipment just puts out a lot of noise. Your only alternative at that time is to feed the sound directly into your car via the CD changer port. If you do not have a changer already, we sell a changer package with AUX input (stereo RCA), this will give you direct AUX in stereo via the CD changer switch of your radio and also at the same time, give you a 6 disc plug in changer compatible and controlled directly by your factory radio. (see OEM department at http://store.autotoys.com)

------------------

Here to help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts