Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming that the factory radio/CD unit in the EX has audio inputs for the available CD changer/cassette player, could I hook up an external audio source such as a portable MP3 player or VCR? Logic dictates that the Honda factory unit needs to communicate with any Honda accessories before it will accept audio input, but I've been told that some aftermarket decks will accept devices connected to their inputs as long as there is an audio signal.

Any thoughts on this?

Mike

·
Registered
585 Posts
Whoa...dude! That's what I've been looking for! I posted something a few month back about my options to hook up an mp3 player to the system and thought my only options were to add an fm modulator or swap out my head unit. Neither option appealed to me but it the answer that seemed to be staring me in the face (which never occurred to me) which is how in the heck does the 6 CD changer hook into the factory head unit?

MMMMM. Gotta research this one a little more..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an FM modulator that I intend to use with my entertainment system whenever I get the time to install it (free time, what's that?), so I could have a switchable input to the modulator.

I checked out the Hand-A instructions for adding a 6 disc CD changer and they use a bus connector instead of RCA jacks. If one knew the pin-out's of the bus connector, one could experiment with connecting line-level audio to the factory head unit. Whether the head unit would recognize the input is another matter. I doubt it :-(.

Mike

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Whoa...dude! That's what I've been looking for! I posted something a few month back about my options to hook up an mp3 player to the system and thought my only options were to add an fm modulator or swap out my head unit. Neither option appealed to me but it the answer that seemed to be staring me in the face (which never occurred to me) which is how in the heck does the 6 CD changer hook into the factory head unit?

MMMMM. Gotta research this one a little more..
</font>

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hey Marvyn,
I guess I missed your old post, because I would have let you know that this is definitely possible, but would require a little digging around/research/engineering.
I agree, FM modulators are not so great.

I've done this type of wiring mod on older Honda radios from the late '80s, early '90s.

The difference was that back then, I tapped into the EQ loop, not the changer interface. There used to be a din plug with soldered jumpers for optional EQ hookup, and it was easy to reverse engineer the wiring for that.

Today's Honda radios use a pretty standard changer interface. Due to the fact that any number of changers can be used with an adaptor, I don't think it would be hard to reverse engineer the wiring and interface.

If you can get your hands on a changer (OEM or aftermarket with adaptor) with a little patience and a multimeter, you should be able to figure it out. Otherwise, I'd have to think someone on the web has already done this project.

The wiring diagram has GOT to be available somewhere. Also, look for wiring diagrams for Pioneer P-Bus and Alpine M-Bus changers, and I bet you could almost figure out the wiring codes from just that.

The only thing that might be slightly tricky is having the head unit "sense" the changer so you can switch to the "aux" or CD changer input. I'd think this is just a single line that goes high when the changer is plugged in. However, if it is some other type of signal, it will be a little tougher to make work.

One other note of caution: plugging in external devices that use the accessory outlet ("cigarette lighter plug") for power would be very prone to noise (alternator whine, etc..). You'd have to battery power your external device, or do some grounding/isolation work to use the accessory plug as your power source.

Hope this helps a little. I'd love to try and look into this for you, but with my "unlimited" time, can't promise you anything. We'll see. Good luck!

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Here's a peripheral option, probably the one Autotoys sells with it's OEM changer w/aux in. Not exactly what you are looking for, but a start...

Check it out:
http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/periph_products/new_products.htm

The interface for the Ody radio seems to be digital, take a look at HONIL. If it's digital, it'll could be alot harder to do, though still POSSIBLE.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
OK,
Sent a couple of emails to Peripheral Tech support, thought people might be interested...

Now, I'm even more determined to do this. I have my old '98 Accord radio, and am thinking of popping it open and trying to hardwire a hack just to prove to myself that I can do it. Maybe have to go to Fry's, buy a changer (30 day return policy, hee,hee...) hook it up to the scope, and figure it out.

Wasn't I working on a subwoofer project too?? Hmmm.....

What do others think... is there enough interest in this hack or are people happy enough with the FM modulator or doing the add-the-changer-and-line-input-all-at-once thing?

-SJ

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
The radio is in constant data communication with the changer.

----- Original Message -----
To: Peripheral Technical
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: Honda Interface Question

Hi,
I understand that it was designed to be used with a
changer and is only suppossed to be used that way.
Just wondering if the head unit requires a special
(digital) signal from the changer in order to
recognize that its there. Can another circuit/device
be used to mimic the changer signal to fool the head
unit into thinking a changer is there?

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated!

-SJ

--- Peripheral Technical
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello SJ,
> Thank you for your inquiry.
> I'm sorry but the interface does require the
> addition of a changer to function.
> It will not work in your application.
> Best regards,
> John Catalano
> [email protected]
> AAMP of America Technical Support
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Shin Choi
> To: [email protected]
> Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 2:14 PM
> Subject: Honda Interface Question
>
>
> Hi,
> Saw the HONCLRX. I'd like to just add an external
> source unit, and not a changer. Is it possible to
> use
> this product with some kind of modification, so
> that
> when you switch to CD changer on the radio, it
> recognizes the converter w/o a Clarion changer
> hooked
> up, and just pipes in the aux input?
> Thanks,
> SJ
</font>
------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
I don't know if this will work but you might want to try tapping the NAVI wires as a source for input.

-Nestor
</font>
Hey Nestor,
Great idea! Question for Navi owners out there.... when the Navi talks and you have a CD playing or radio, does it mute the source or does it switch over completely to Navi voice? Seems like there would be source mixing, unless of course you do something like pop in a CD, and keep the head unit in pause mode or something...

I assume too that the radio (head unit) volume control still works, with the navi volume control regulating the output of the navi unit to the head unit, correct?

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
1,484 Posts
Oh that reminds me...the headunit volume controls DO NOT apply to the NAVI volume. It has a seperate volume control on the NAVI Display. I guess that scraps that idea. Sorry.

-Nestor

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Oh that reminds me...the headunit volume controls DO NOT apply to the NAVI volume. It has a seperate volume control on the NAVI Display. I guess that scraps that idea. Sorry.

-Nestor
</font>
Nestor,

Are you sure, here's a post I pulled out from one of Steve's early posts on the forum...

Seems it mutes the radio (not sure if it kills the source or just lowers volume alot) and sends the signal pre-radio volume control.....

Steve, are you out there? Any comments?
-SJ

How I did navi voice on aftermarket stereo..

The factory radio plug has left and right navi audio channels, plus a mute lead that goes +12v when the navi speaks. I used a small reed relay to
reverse this signal to GND when the navi speaks.

The Panasonic CQ-DVR909U has a small outboard 4 channel amp. This is where tapped into the inputs for the front L&R audio channels. The navi
voice signal is pretty strong, so I used 10K resistors in line too.

The only difference between my design and the factory is the radio volume controls navi volume on the honda radio. This is not a problem,
because the navi setup screen has volume adjustment.
</font>
------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
1,484 Posts
Well it's been a while since I hooked up the NAVI to my EX headunit. But from what I can remember the NAVI voice can still be heard even with EX headunit turn off. But I could be wrong. Can any other NAVI owners verify this?

-Nestor

·
Registered
92 Posts
For stock navi system, the navigation system mutes the front speakers only when speaking. This is done by sending a (+12V) trigger wire to the stereo and pre-amp L&R audio signals into the front speaker amplifier (located in the stereo). If you wish to have voice on aftermarket stereo you neeed to do two things.

1) Reverse the +12V trigger wire to GND using a small relay (reed relay works best, no clicking). Connect this ground to your "telephone mute" wire on new headunit.
If your headunit does not have "telephone mute" then you will need a Electronic RCA line switcher, like one made by Peripheral.

2) "Y" connect your front pre-amp level RCA lines to also connect your Navi L&R voice wires. It might require resistor(s) or in-line volume control as this pre-amp navigation audio signal is pretty loud!

Hope this helps,
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VideoNavi:
For stock navi system, the navigation system mutes the front speakers only when speaking. This is done by sending a (+12V) trigger wire to the stereo and pre-amp L&R audio signals into the front speaker amplifier (located in the stereo).
</font>
So Steve,
Are you saying that the navi signal gets fed directly to the factory head unit's amp, bypassing the factory pre-amp/volume control altogether? So navi voice volume can only be controlled via the navi screen, even with the factory setup?

Also, when muting the factory head unit, can you still hear your music source somewhat, or is the source completely elimitated during navi voice over?

Seems problematic that only the front speakers are live for the Navi input...

Well, we'll keep looking at this....
Thanks,
SJ

p.s.- (edit) one other really interesting thought, if the muting only occurs on the front speakers, and the muting does work to ELIMINATE the signal on that set of speakers, this would be a cool way to do a "two zone" system with the factory deck. Just switch front-to-rear speaker wiring, reversing the fader. Then tap the navi input for your DVD player or VCR, using a potentiometer as a volume control. Use a relay or switch to activate the mute, and you can play video source/MP3/whatever in back, while maintaining radio/cd function up front... This of course makes the other assumption that the factory pre-amp is bypassed with the navi input signal.... True dual zone, and true dual volume controls!

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
OK, after reading the Navi & Aftermarket radio thread, I understand this now.

In regards to at what point in the audio chain the Navi input is placed:

The tap into the audio is before the volume control and before the amplifier for sure.
(as quoted from Steve)
</font>
So, that is cool, this means you can use your radio volume control if you inject a signal into the navi input.

The bad news is that the mute for the navi input does not completely kill the input, you will still hear it, just reduced in volume.

So, there goes that idea.

Seems like too much trouble/work to get a direct input into the factory radio. The only two options I see as being reasonable are using the FM modulator or the Peripheral CD changer/aux in interface (and of course adding the changer too).

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts