Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to take delivery of an EX (MB) next month. I have seen enough comments about the terrible quality of the sound system to pique my interest in considering some upgrades. Knowing that the sky is the upper limit, I was wondering what folks might suggest as a lower threshold...like just upgrading the speakers and or putting in tweeters. Does this provide a reasonable improvement and what models might be my best bet?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hi, first, congrats on your decision to buy an ody, and welcome to the club!

Although I agree the stock system stinks, you really should listen to it and get a baseline first; the 2002 is a bit better than '99-'01 and you might be reasonably happy. If you decide to upgrade the minimum thing to do is upgrade the front speakers. They will make the most difference in sound quality.

You'll probably need to spend, at a minimum, around $40-$50 for an upgrade that will give you some noticable "improvement". Many people here buy Pioneer because they fit very well and easily in Hondas, and they represent a good value, esp. if you buy off the net.

Pioneer TSA-1665 and TSA-1695 are the two most popular. There are MANY MANY speaker choices out there and this is a subjective decision. I recommend you go out with a limited # of choices and audition. Keep a price limit and you can easily make a decision that suits you best.

I don't recommend upgraded tweeters myself, but many like them. Try the door speakers first and see. If you want more brightness, you surely can go tweeter route.

Read through some of the speaker upgrade threads in this forum; this discussion has ocurred time and time again. If you have a specific need, let me know and I'll try to help.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shindog:
I don't recommend upgraded tweeters myself, but many like them. Try the door speakers first and see. If you want more brightness, you surely can go tweeter route.</font>
If you go with a TSA1695 for the front door...these puppies are already (VERY) bright on their own. So, tweeter upgrade might not be necessary. I strongly support ShinDog's suggestion - "Try the door speakers first and see."

Just my 0.02 Pickles

------------------

1 - 3 of 3 Posts