Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the newer vehicles don't come equipped with 6 disk players like in the old days. What a bummer. So I'm downloading my audiobooks on an iPod. However, turning my Ody on and off doesn't turn the iPod on or off. Answering my phone via bluetooth also doesn't stop the iPod from playing. I'm not very practiced with this new technology--in my car or with the iPod. Is there something I can do so I can listen to "six disks worth" of audiobook on my iPod via my car's USB with all the same convenience? (If this info is in the forum somehwere, sorry, I did a search but found info only about music.)

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
This thread will be moved to a diff section or locked in 10, 9, 8, 7...

;)
Its their first post to the site and I almost always move the first post. :)

OP, please post in correct sections to prevent future threads from getting locked.

As to answer for you, is burning a MP3 CD an option for you? You can maybe burn all your books onto one MP3 CD and stick the disk in and it will work like a normal CD Player and stop and start where it left off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I want it to turn on and off when I turn the car on and off so thought maybe I was doing something wrong when it didn't. The scandisk is a great idea, once I learn how to rip. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, DVPATEL. I'll ask one of my more technologically astute sons to teach me how to do that. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Thank you, DVPATEL. I'll ask one of my more technologically astute sons to teach me how to do that. Thanks again.
In both cases, the flash drive (SanDisk) route or the MP3 route, you still rip the books in MP3 and then either purchase a flash drive and copy the files over and connect it to the audio system or in the CD case, burn the disk as a MP3 disk and then use the MP3 formatted CD in your MP3 capable audio system. I have put over 150 songs on one CD so you should be able to put all of your audio books with a better compression ratio to maintain better quality. Hope your son can help you out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you again! I'm sure one of my sons can help me. I do have another question. My van's CD player locks up, won't play the disk at all, or there's a long delay (up to two minutes) before it plays. Sometimes I can scan backwards or forwards but frequently all I can do is skip to the next track. Is this also user error or is this a known issue with the 2011 Odyssey Ex.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I do have another question. My van's CD player locks up, won't play the disk at all, or there's a long delay (up to two minutes) before it plays. Sometimes I can scan backwards or forwards but frequently all I can do is skip to the next track. Is this also user error or is this a known issue with the 2011 Odyssey Ex.
No user error, and is not a known issue with any 2011 Odyssey. Check if this happens with many different audio CDs or only a few. If it happens to all then it is likely that the player might be defective, else the unplayable CDs are just bad. Warranty issue with the dealer

There is a 2011 Odyssey technical service bulletin for the audio system (TSB 10-081) but doubt it is related.

·
Registered
687 Posts
As dvpatel mentioned, another option is to rip your audiobooks into mp3 files and then burn them as a data CD which can be played by the Odyssey's CD player.

A full 80 minute CD ripped at a reasonable 192 kbps will have a file size of about 100-110 MB. With a 700 MB CD-ROM, you'll be able to fit 6 discs of audio books onto one CD-ROM. So basically the CD-ROM replaces the 6-disc CD changer. Also, if you tag your MP3 files, the chapter titles and other information will show up on the screen.

This method requires more work than simply putting discs into a changer, but I think the results are worth it.

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts