Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lreally ike the Honda Odyssey front grills on the versions in Australia. I wonder if they would fit on USA versions? Does anyone know?

(Warning: I hope if I get one I will resist the temptation to drive on the wrong side of the street!)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hachiroku:
I beleive the Aussie Ody is still our first Gen not unless they changed it in the past month or so.So nix the idea on the grill.

</font>
The Australian Ody is the 2nd generation of the Asian-Ody (all 4 doors swing open like a sedan). Our (1999-2002) Ody is the American-Ody (2 swing open & 2 slide doors). Prior to our '99 American-Ody ( Eg. the 1998 Ody) it is the 1st generation of Ody both for the Asian & American market (the 4 swing open doors...remember??). Ok did I confused someone????

I was in Asia last summer 2000. I can say that the 2nd Generation Asian-Ody sure is upscale.
just my opinion though.

------------------

[This message has been edited by abyez (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Way too cool for Australia (no offense to Australians, of course).

[This message has been edited by Homer (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Homer:
Way too cool for Australia (no offense to Australians, of course).
</font>
This Asian-version is not only for the Australians though....Its for the Asian, Europe, African and Mid-East market.

------------------

·
Registered
205 Posts
OK, hands up who is totally confused now? All I know is that the pictures of the Australian Ody that homer posted are very nice indeed. Certainly a more stylish body than the American version...

Richard

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
OK, hands up who is totally confused now? All I know is that the pictures of the Australian Ody that homer posted are very nice indeed. Certainly a more stylish body than the American version...

Richard
</font>
Like I mentioned before, their version is our 1st Gen Odyssey based on the 4-cyl Accord platform, around '98.No carry over parts into the 2nd Gen so you can assume that the grill won't fit.

That model never even had a choice of a V6.
There were a few owners around here when this board was in its first few months.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

[This message has been edited by hachiroku (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
Stylish maybe but the Autralian/ Asian models don't get a V6 only an inline 4. You can't have everthing.
</font>
It looks like they have a choice, according to the website (poking around on honda.com.au is pretty interesting):

"Honda has again lifted the bar in the people mover market with the introduction of the 2000 Honda Odyssey featuring LEV engines, a 5-speed automatic transmission and benchmark ride, handling and smoothness.

Just as the original Odyssey revolutionised the multi-passenger market in 1995 with its car-like features and performance, the second-generation Odyssey is set to push the people mover concept to new levels with greater refinement, superior passenger comfort, greater performance and increased safety.

For the first time in Australia, the Odyssey is available in two models one powered by a revised 2.3-litre VTEC four-cylinder and the other with a spirited 3.0-litre VTEC V6, both with LEV technology."

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Hmmm...interesting. Makes you wonder how they shoehorned that V6 in there. Not unless the chassis has changed too. Then again, might as well have brought our Ody body style over there !

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
171 Posts
Back to the original question - will the grille fit US models? From comparing the pictures the answer would be NO. The AU grille is narrower and taller. There's spacing between the grille and headlights which the US models don't have. So I guess if you wanted that bad, you'll have to AT LEAST change the hood, bumper and headlights.

I like the center mounted transmission shifter. I don't like the column mount on the ODY. There were at times I've hit the windshield washer fluid mistaking it for the shifter, esp. after a car wash - DOH! Anyone else have this problem?

------------------
Never thought I could get so excited over a minivan!
'02 GG EX-L
'93 Acura Legend L

·
Registered
301 Posts
I believe the Australian grill is called a "barbie". It also has attachement points for a "Roo-catcher".

Vquan, Many of the 2002 owners have mentioned hitting the wiper control when trying to shift. In the 2001 the shift lever was longer but people complained that it blocked the radio controls. Honda decided to exchange blockage for hittage.

[This message has been edited by Canodyssey (edited 10-26-2001).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts