1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's amazing how reviewers are fixated on the magic MSRP number. Guess you get a better deal if you get a $1000 off MSRP that was $2000 higher than the competition, than paying $1000 over MSRP that was $2000 less than the competition. (No, I did not pay $1000 over MSRP, fyi.) Yeah, that'll be the day when bean-counters tell ME what MY car is worth. (No offense to accountants, btw.)

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's no wonder they bashed the Odyssey. Notice how auto.com is published by the DETROIT Free Press.

·
Registered
55 Posts
from the review:

Minuses: Finding one in a showroom. 2-3 days supply nationwide and long waiting list to pay full sticker if not more. No 4WD capability.

Why would someone need 4WD on a minivan? If I wanted 4WD, I would of gotten a SUV.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DTKWOK:
It's amazing how reviewers are fixated on the magic MSRP number. Guess you get a better deal if you get a $1000 off MSRP that was $2000 higher than the competition, than paying $1000 over MSRP that was $2000 less than the competition. (No, I did not pay $1000 over MSRP, fyi.) Yeah, that'll be the day when bean-counters tell ME what MY car is worth. (No offense to accountants, btw.)</font>
It's interesting how some reviewers are very selective in what the compare. For example, the Mercury Montana is mentioned as having more cargo volume (75.5 cubic feet) than the Ody (67 cubic feet).

The reviewer doesn't mention that the Montana gets rated "Poor" in IIHS crash tests, gets less gas mileage and is slow, and according to Consumer Reports has "subpar reliability."

I suppose that every single vehicle has at least one feature over all other vehicles. Heck, the Yugo could have been best at something. That wouldn't justify a reviewer saying how much better the Yugo was than other vehicles. Kind of casts some doubt on the reviewer's agenda.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
73 Posts
Unlike its rival Chrysler, however, Odyssey doesn't have a power stop-and-retract hatch lid. With that option, the lid on a Chrysler van will stop and back up when striking an object in its path. With Odyssey, keep your head up and eyes open.

...and if someone is closing the Honda rear hatch by hand, they would bonk themselves on the head? So, for the non-coordinated, we need another motorized door that will freeze closed in the winter? Maybe they like this in Detroit. I'll take a good dead pedal instead.

To ensure good view, Odyssey's front, side and rear glass is picture-window size and much bigger than that of its rivals. Nice for visibility year-round, but a styling feature that demands air conditioning set at "high" in the summer.

The Honda has heat-shielding glass standard in the EX, I understand. How about Chrysler and GM vans, as well as Ford, Toyota, etc.? I doubt that these guys did this review in the summer anyway. The '02 came out in September and the review came out in January.

Sorry auto.com - I sense a credibility problem...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

Actually, the worst they could say was:

1) that you have to wait, which, regrettably is a fact
2) no AWD, which for the vast majority of us is a non issue.

While clearly a partisan review, since in my opinion, safety should be included for this type of vehicle. Admittedly, my view is also biased, since I am waiting and waiting for one.

So while they sang it’s praises as quietly as possible, there really wasn’t much for them to knock, if you can even call the wait and no AWD, a knock.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Honda's not perfect. No vehicle is. However, this review failed to report on a couple of things that all car buyers should be concerned with.
Resale, reliability, and safety.
Local paper journalists aren't always qualified in their field either. It's about what assignment they could get...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Everyone on this board has to come clean- we didn't buy this van because we made an informed choice, we didn't buy it because it better suited our needs than other available vehicles. Lemmings that we are, we ignored the blatant superiority of other vans and bought it based on Honda's reputation.

This review ran in last Sunday's Chicago Tribune. This moron's reviews are typically so irritating that I stopped reading his column a long time ago. I got tired of reading them, and my wife got tired of me shouting at the newspaper on Sunday mornings. The stupidity of his comments speak for themselves.

I've considered writing to this clown, but I don't have time to tilt at windmills. Any regular reader of the automotive section's editorial page knows the likelihood of your letter being run are directly proportional to Mateja's ability to write an inflammatory smartass reply. If your letter gives him an opportunity to suggest vivisection of cats, all the better (you'd have to see his columns to know what I mean).

It would be interesting to know what vehicles he owns, and to know what grudge he has against Honda. I don't even think he as any particular interest in or any knowlege of cars.

Typical of this paper,the Tribune's technology reporter has a reputation of being the computer guy who knows very little about computers. A few years ago, when he made some uninformed comments about Macs, his email accounts got letterbombed. Maybe we could volunteer this guy as a crash test dummy for his beloved Montana.

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FrankBullitt:
Maybe we could volunteer this guy as a crash test dummy for his beloved Montana.</font>
Hehe...I cant agree more!!!!!!!! UuggGhh!!!!

------------------

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Find an auto reviewer you agree with and ONLY stick with their opinions to help your purchasing decision...I too have experienced that same "What the #%^#^?" comments after reading many reviews...I keep it simple, I read Car and Driver magazine and have found that their reviews historically agree with my driving/owning impressions. I never drove an Ody till we left the dealership after delivery, relied entirely on their review!
Many auto reviewers in newspapers also write other unrelated columns. Like statistics, anything can be skewed by the author. Many are hired for their writing skills not necessarily their accurate opinions.
Almost forgot...the Ody is missing Pontiac body ribs on it's flanks, Windstar 'all-chrome' grill, and Chevy Astro 'dependable' RWD! Yes, dear consumer you could live without these attributes but picture your world! The horror, the horror....

------------------
2002 Silver EX
1996 VW Gti
1999 Pit Bull/Catahoula Leopard dogs

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OdyRocky:
...Like statistics, anything can be skewed by the author....</font>
<center>
I read that 27.43% of statistics are completely made up
</center>

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Maugham,
Well I read that 42.056% of statistics are completely made up....where you getting your information? hahahaha!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Maugham,
Well I read that 42.056% of statistics are completely made up....where you getting your information? hahahaha!!!
</font>
Oh great. Now I have to chime in and say that 14.29% of responses to this thread made a joke about statistics being made up. It's and endless cycle!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm gettin' dizzy and may BUICK all over my shoes, again.....

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Maugham,
</font>
That 42.056% is for statistics that appear on the internet and for people on blind dates.

27.43% also includes magazines, newspapers, census, and M1 (but not M2)

Maugham

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pretty funny to see Honda owners get all bent from one mildly negative review of the Odyssey.

Yeah, I own a 2002 Odyssey and like it, but jeez guys, it's just a minivan and it's not perfect.

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love my Ody but the reviewer was correct in the statement that the Dodge minivan has a better ride. When I first got my Ody (2002 EX-L), I felt like it was jumping all over the road on bumps, much different than my smooth Dodge Grand Caravan ride. There are plenty of other things I like better on my Ody so I forgive the ride.

------------------
2002 EX-L
replaced front speakers w/ JLA's
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Cassette Player
Heartland console

1 - 19 of 19 Posts