Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the Auto Idle stop feature be disabled? I had to replace a starter once on an older Odyssey and it was seriously expensive. I am not concerned with fuel savings. The tow truck, and uber ride, and the new starter all cost me a bundle and not to mention the inconvenience which was very annoying.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,597 Posts
There is a button to disable it but it must be done on every startup.

Best solution is something like Idlestopper

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,597 Posts
Interesting. I do not have this on mine. Is it only on certain models?

'19 EXL.
9 speed models do not have it. Only 10 speed models.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
239 Posts
Interesting. I do not have this on mine. Is it only on certain models?

'19 EXL.
A 2019 EXL does not have auto idle stop. Hence, no button to disable.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2022 Odyssey EX-L Lunar Silver Metallic, Gray Interior
23 Posts
Can the Auto Idle stop feature be disabled? I had to replace a starter once on an older Odyssey and it was seriously expensive. I am not concerned with fuel savings. The tow truck, and uber ride, and the new starter all cost me a bundle and not to mention the inconvenience which was very annoying.
From what I understand, there is actually a separate starter for the "Auto Idle Stop" feature. So I wouldn't be terribly worried about the starter issue. There are those of us who compulsively press the "A-off" button when starting the vehicle, or others who buy the devices to disable it all the time. However, it does seem the engineers took the starter into consideration, so they have a separate starter and the feature also only works when the vehicle is warmed up, making for an easy start.

For me, the reasons to disable Idle Stop are: 1) to limit any wear and tear on the engine from increased starts, 2) limit strain on the battery, 3) because I don't care about the limited fuel efficiency gains for my use of the vehicle (minimal real "city" driving), and 4) because I find the feature downright annoying. Others may be worried about safety concerns in sketchier urban areas or unfamiliar areas, but it seems to start pretty easily and that's not a concern to me.

Check out this thread for some more info:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the uninformed, the auto stop has to be disabled each and every time the Ody Elite engine is started. This is likely an annoying addition by the folks who want to save a teeny weeny itty bitty amount of fuel to meet the CAFE standards I guess. I don't!

I want to not ever have to do something mandated by some other entity to acheive some imaginary goal.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,597 Posts
For the uninformed, the auto stop has to be disabled each and every time the Ody Elite engine is started. This is likely an annoying addition by the folks who want to save a teeny weeny itty bitty amount of fuel to meet the CAFE standards I guess. I don't!

I want to not ever have to do something mandated by some other entity to acheive some imaginary goal.
Exactly. And that's where Idlestopper comes in

·
Registered
2022 Honda Odyssey Touring
26 Posts
Just to add to the discussion, putting aside whether stop-start will actually save you any fuel (depends on a lot of variables), nonlatching (meaning, it defaults to "on" with each key cycle) stop/start systems qualify for additional “off cycle” emissions credits from the EPA that can be applied to meet overall targets for Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards. Which is likely a pretty significant reason why stop-start has become so ubiquitous.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My favorite auto idle stop stupid trick is when it shuts the engine off as you are trying to get in a tight parking spot and then fires it back up and lurches a few feet.

Second favorite is turning off the air conditioner compressor in the Phoenix heat. For extra suck also engage ECO mode.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I saw a.little in line adapter that connects just behind the button connector. It was for the Pilot there is a YouTube video on it plug and play

I did find this for the Ody.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I haven't test this but you might try opening the hood, start the van with the driver's door open, then close the hood, and drive the van. This sequence should confuse the AutoStop logic and it will be disabled from that point on. This thread talks about how to enable AutoStop.

Auto stop thread

·
Registered
4 Posts
I always like coming to a stop in my garage, and the engine shuts off by itself. Then when I push the Park button, it turns back on. Finally, I press the Engine Stop button and it turns off again. Genius-level engineers at Honda!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Both my vehicles now have the Auto Idle Stop feature now. The advantage is that it's becoming a part of my vehicle start routine to hit the A-off button. That will save me money on the device to do the same thing.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,597 Posts
The advantage is that it's becoming a part of my vehicle start routine to hit the A-off button. That will save me money on the device to do the same thing.
There's always the cheapskate option of jamming something in the button so that it stays pressed.

• Wow
Reactions: tyman and adr5

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,597 Posts
I'm skeptical. Does that actually work?
I believe so. I recall reading it on an Acura forum. I mean it does basically the same thing the Idlestopper does, it keeps the button pressed all the time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe so. I recall reading it on an Acura forum. I mean it does basically the same thing the Idlestopper does, it keeps the button pressed all the time.
The problem is that it's a toggle though, right? I just tried to hold down the A-off button while starting a 2021 CRV EX and it didn't work.

In short, if using the button you need to start the vehicle and then hit the button. I suspect the idle stop "blocker" devices bypass the button altogether.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I saw a.little in line adapter that connects just behind the button connector. It was for the Pilot there is a YouTube video on it plug and play

I did find this for the Ody.
I live in a very hot climate and find that if I leave the AC on MAX, it disables the autostop.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts