Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had my 2018 Elite in for scheduled maintenance. During the write up, I told the Service Advisor that the AIS in my car is "consistently inconsistent"
He said they would take a look at it.
Before I dropped the car off, AIS was working -- After the service, the Honda tech claimed there were no issues and AIS was working normally
So, I take the car for a 15/20 minute drive, and AIS is unavailable. Back Honda where I found the tech who worked on my car and was able to show him that it not working.
I do the fix that is shown in this thread and it works again. Honda tech is confused and hooks up a laptop to see of the Odyssey is showing any error codes.
Of course, there are no error codes showing and they want me to bring the Odyssey back another day so they can take a closer look at the issue

The Odyssey was at Honda all day yesterday and they determined that my AIS issue is due to a low battery, which they replaced.
I suspect they do not know what real cause is and replaced the battery to demonstrate that they did "something"

My guess is, and I may be wrong, is the issue is with the software. Perhaps the next update will address the AIS issue

Dopey

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the same problem and the Mechanic gave me the list of requirements that came from the manual, but the AIS was still not working.
I gave the Service Manager the writeup from the Forum, which he was interested in, so obviously this is not the first time they have had to deal with it.
I believe battery is still an issue.
Without using the shortcut, I had to drive 150 miles to get AIS to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Firstly, Hi. I created an account just to be able to post my solution this auto idle stop issue. It worked for me on my odyssey and I felt I needed to share. Apologies for the long intro as I feel it’s important to see how I got to this point. Feel free to skip to the procedure - I probably would :DD.

History:
I purchased an elite in June, AIS worked for a day and stopped for about 2 weeks. Then mid-July it started working. My son had messed with the cabin control and I had been in the engine bay for adding washer fluid that day. It worked flawlessly when conditions were met till end of October when I took it in for a service. The entire winter it was not working and after 2x 6.5 hour drives, I decided it must be broken like others have reported. I read through the manual a couple times and came to the conclusion I must be hitting the interior cabin humidity. I left it in the sun a few days to see if that would help clear any cabin humidity. Turns out it was not that. I read the manual again and read about the safety of it not working while the hood was up. This got me thinking, it went in for an oil change, and what do mechanics sometimes do? They start the car with the hood up, do a final check and close up and drive the car out the lot for me to pick up. So, I decided to try the method I will mention below. Well, it at first appeared not to solve it but turns out the van was not warm enough to trigger. 2 days go by and no driving due to snow storm. First trip out, get kids from school and head off, van chimes for software update and suddenly AIS is working. What?? So now I don’t know if what I did or the software update fixed AIS. Anyways a couple days pass and I tried something I was curious about regarding the safety features and then AIS is no longer working again. I traveled this one route many times and I know it works on this route. So I try my procedure again, take the van out immediately and come to a stop. Bingo! Shutoff – procedure seems to work.

Procedure to try fix AIS:

1. Take your van out for at least a 15 min trip and be sure it’s warmed up. If you have the message popup activated, confirm that is says unavailable when you come to a stop.
  2. Park somewhere safe, shutoff the van. Open the door and pop the hood.
  3. Get out and open it up and prop it up on the kickstand.
  4. Get back to the seat, start the car, close the door, confirm the message center says hood open.
  5. I got out the van, looked at engine and then went back and shut it off. I think I left the door open and leaned in to turn off, and then returned to shut the hood. (not sure if door open/close played a role yet)
  6. Get in, close the door and start normally.
  7. Take it out for a drive, and AIS should work instantly, assuming all conditions are met.
Theory: I believe there may be a logic flaw in the AIS safety shut-off system. From what I can deduce from the manual, the hood and driver’s door have some safety features that de-activates the system. Where the flaw is, I believe, is there is no logic to re-check that the safety conditions are met and to reactivate AIS. So you have to trigger the safety (start engine while hood open) and then complete the correct software steps to reactivate the system (shut off engine, close hood). This is probably why it begins working again for a few after services as the safety got reset accidentally/correctly. I'm not saying this theory is true, it's just my best guess as to what is possibly happening.

Conditions that might cause it to stop working: I theorize 2 conditions that I believe may have caused mine to stop working. I can’t confirm as I’m not 100% sure that this is what exactly happened and I have not had time to test these theories and see if either does indeed cause it to stop working.
  1. Start the van with the hood open, close it and drive off. (what I think happened after the oil change)
  2. Come to a stop have AIS in activation mode (engine off green icon lit), open driver’s door and pop your seat-belt. (what I think caused it the second time when testing that safety and what then confirmed the procedure above worked for me)
Experiment time: I would like others who are convinced they are meeting the requirements for AIS to activate to give this a try and report back if it worked. If it does not, thanks for trying.

Thanks for reading. I do hope this procedure works for you as it did for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The latest recall and fix apparently did not address the AIS intermittent not working issue. I have proven a weak battery will render the AIS not working until it is charged up again through driving or external charging. Also, with weak battery, the cell phone charge pad will not work either. The problem here is not Honda put in bad battery. It appears the battery is self draining even when the car is parked. Unless you drive it daily for decent distance, the battery voltage will eventually fall below 10. The car will eventually not even start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
July 2019 - TSB 19-071 - Auto Idle Stop Does Not Work (BMS Inhibited)
Applies To: 2018-19 Odyssey - Elite, Touring - ALL
Thank you uzair! I've printed it out and if it stops working again I'll take it to the shop.

And thank you badwolf! Your fix works but I've discovered a few thing on my odyssey that make the reset easier.

1. I think my initial problem with AEIS being unavailable was due to humidity. Once we started using AUTO for the environmental control (which turned on the A/C and recirculate air settings) AEIS started working, mostly. However, there were times when it inexplicably stopped working and nothing I did reset it. That is, except for badwolf's reset. Thinking about how we use our Honda it seems the battery issue is a BIG culprit. While sitting in line to pick up my son from school my wife likes to run the van with the engine off. Obvious battery drain. AEIS unavailable is easily understandable then. However, after driving a bunch it still was unavailable until we did badwolf's reset. It just doesn't seem to be able to recover on its own. But here's the reset I do now:

1. When AEIS unavailable seems to be persistent and I stop driving I turn the engine off.
2. Stay in driver's seat with belt buckled.
3. Open driver door to get electrics to shut off.
4. Pull hood latch release (stay in the car)
5. Close driver door and star engine
6. Get Hood open message like badwolf directs us to do
7. I opened the driver door (and I'm not convinced this helped or hurt)
8. Turn engine off, unbuckle and exit vehicle to pushed down on hood. No need to prop it open all the way.
9. AEIS should operate on the next drive.

Hope this helps refine this issue and fix.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Has there been any movement on a way to disable this "feature" permanently?
Unfortunately my 2019 Elite the Auto Idle Stop works like it was intended but I have electronics that reset every time it activates due to the voltage drop and this causes occasional corruption of the devices.
I try to remember to disable it but sometimes I don't.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Worked for two days and then it got disabled again, no idea what sequence of events made that happen. I went through OP's procedure again, this time I pressed the hood release but did not bother to actually prop it up: if I did this while the engine was running it made no difference, but starting the engine while the hood was released but not propped up did the trick - stop the engine, release the hood, start the engine (and instrument cluster showed the hood was open), stop the engine, close the hood. I am curious to find out how long it will take before it stops working again.
i'm sorry y'all but this issue (though i'm not exactly sure what the issue is actually), is nuts. And yet another reason for me to consider other than the heretofore wonderful Honda brand, for my next car. (currently w/ '01 Odyssey) So sad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So here it is roughly one and a half years later and Honda still hasn't fixed this. Took my vehicle to three dealers, got all the "it's supposed to work that way, go bother someone who cares" and checked for a system update. Got nowhere. Read your post, followed directions, and immediate success.

You should be a service manager for Honda because 3 dealers I visited in the Dallas area all had no interest in fixing this and told me to read the owners manual.

You'd think Honda would fix this after 1.5 years.

Thank you!

61 - 70 of 70 Posts