Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to have the doors lock automatically a few seconds after the van starts moving? I know that several other makes of vehicles have this feature (maybe even some other Hondas?). I always forget to lock the doors while driving and it drives my wife nuts. She thinks someone is going to run up to the van and grab one of the kids (though she doesn't consider the 10 minutes it would take for a kidnapper to disengage the kid from the carseat!). She is right that it is safer, though. This would be the one mod she would be willing to let me spend some money on. Any thoughts? Do it yourself or a car alarm installer mod? Negate the Honda warranty?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
There is a signal in the sliding door circuit that trips at three mph. I wonder if that could be used to send a pulse to the door locks.

I only have the Helm service manual. Maybe someone with the Electrical Troubleshooting manual could follow this up.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I prefer cars that do not automatically lock the doors. I hate that "feature." It is so annoying, for example, when backing the car out of the garage 15 feet into the driveway ... the doors lock! Stop to get the mail one house away from the driveway and when the car is put back in gear ... the doors lock! Such a ridiculous feature.

Too many car manufacturers think they should decide for me when I want the doors locked.

As far as grabbing kids at a stoplight, if you have an EX with power doors they won't open if the car is in gear. You effectively already have locked doors.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It would be simple to accomplish with an aftermarket alarm, certainly.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The 3 MPH signal that Chuck refers to would be a good choice IF you can find it. I don't know if it's "externalized" anywhere.

You can get access to the switch that indicates when the transmission is in Park (I've tied into that circuit with a remote hatch release (still in progress, although the switch and solenoid work just fine).) It shouldn't be too difficult to configure a one-shot multivibrator to simulate a door lock switch when the transmission is removed from Park.

Mel

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 11-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Mel descibes a good and very workable solution if you have some electronics background, but seems to me the easiest way is buy a cheap alarm system that has the auto-lock feature built-in.

Most alarms trigger the lock/unlock based on key position; turn the key to the "on" position it locks, turn the key "off" it unlocks. Just need the info on where to tie into the locking system. Hondas typically (from my past experience) use a negative trigger pulse for the door locks. I never did find out where to tie into the locking system though on the Ody. Have no alarm install info except what autotoys shows on its website...

Of course, this isn't EXACTLY what you want. but....

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 11-07-2001).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you want the auto lock, I don't, make sure you don't unlock with the ignition off automatically. You don't want to have the doors unlock until you are ready, sometimes not at the same time as when you turn off your car.
Police warn against unlocking your car until you know you are safe (either getting out or approaching with remote).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.