Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my we just bought my wife a 2001 Odyssey LX. This is our first Honda and also our first Minivan. Well my wife got out of the car and threw the keys on the seat (she does this all the time in our cars) and shut the door to get the baby out. Well when she shut the door the van locked on its own....locking the keys and the baby inside. Luckily it was cold outside (warm inside) and was only for a very VERY short time before we got the door open. We were told this is a "any theft" option. Is this something that we can shut off? I would rather someone steal the van then have this happen again.

New to the forum....love the van already!

Bill

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2000 with the key-less remote system. I assume you have the key fob devices to lock and unlock the doors etc.

The system has three options that can be set by a slide switch on the very well concealed unit. Sounds like yours is set in the auto lock and arm setting. About 30 seconds after all doors are closed, the system arms itself and locks the doors.

The second option is probably what would work for you. It arms the alarm system after the time delay, but does not lock the doors. That is the one I use.

The third option does nothing unless you push the lock button on the key fob. That locks the doors and arms the alarm.

The magic box is located to the right of the steering column behind the dash and is not easy to find. The security system manual shows the switch settings, but gives no help on finding the box.

Someone posted the system installation instructions on this forum which gives the best info on box location. Sorry, I don't have the link.

Good Luck and enjoy the Ody.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok i found the link to the diagram. We found the black box described in the diagram but cannot find the box with the selection lever on it to switch them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have remote entry with Lock, Unlock, panic, and an Option button....to be honest not quite sure on the alarm system. Guess we could lock it and sit inside and open door....to see what happens.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If your key fob has 5 buttons including the panic button, you most likely have the alarm system. If so, the magic box should be located as described above. Let me see if I can find the link that shows the position. It is almost impossible to get to the box.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here is the link that I was referring to: http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/odyexalarm.pdf It is a long PDF file, but shows the box and its location pretty well. If you can feel the slide switch, put it in the middle position and that should solve your problem. The other option is the "Manual" position, but if you forget to set it, the car is not even alarmed. Cost me a $225 pair of prescription sunglasses - now at least the alarm will go off if some opportunistic idiot opens the door.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok we found the box...a black box...in the position found on this diagram....however it does not have a sliding switch that we can see/feel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it is not there, I give up. I had my local Honda mechanic reset mine to the middle position after the sunglass theft. I never actually found it or reset myself. I just asked them to do it when doing a routing oil change.

According to the "Security System Manual", it has to be there somewhere. You might have to actually resort to your local Honda dealer. They ought to reset that switch (where ever it is) for next to nothing.

Good Luck - Let us know what you find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts