Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember I posted months ago about adding this on after I saw on TV about this aftermarket accesssory.
Just like the DRL, I thought Honda should be making this a standard at least for the EX.
Many brands costing less has this feature standard already. It is a convenient features, don't you guys think ?
Has anyone install this or know where to find that accessory ? I happened to see ONCE on TV only, don't know where to buy this.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I had an 88 Subaru Justy that handled the whole thing quite simply: the headlights were tied through the ignition switch.

Switch on, headlights would be alive and could be turned on. Switch off, and headlights would go out no matter what.

It wasn't computer controlled, like with our Ody and like how Toyota has done it since at least 1988. It was like the radio: power on, power off. I think this was because of the Canadian market. This handled the problem of DRLs quite easily. Just turn the lights on and forget about them.

And that's exactly what I did. The headlight switch went to the "on" position and I forgot about it, 100%.

Sweet, simple, and to the point. I'd love for cars to behave that way now....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By auto-on, I mean it has a light sensor to automatically turn the light on whenever the vehicle is in the dark, like in the garage, tunnel or at dusk/dawn. otherwise, it will be off.
It is not the same as DRL.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Auto on/off would be a great feature. But I agree with Adam that simply having the lights go off with the ignition is a MUST. It is such a simple idea that I truly do no understand whey every mfg does not do it. What reasoning is there for leaving the headlights on when the ignition is off? Some people would say "sometimes I need the headlights on when the car isn't running." Well, big deal - leave the ignition on, and you're set. Why bother having a little warning bell, when it would be even easier and cheaper to simply cut the power to the lights when the ignition was off?

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guys...

this is was part of the twilight sentenial feature that was standard in my dear departed Bonneville. Basically was a knob as part of the headlights that turned off the "darkness" sensor if you didnt want to use it. Also had the abililty to auto off the lights with a timer from 10 to 60 secs after the engine was off. One of my favorite features...basically an idiot proof gadget for lights. (Not that I wld need that!) Some minor quirks, like wld go on in a garage and if you left the car with lights on a timer, you always wanted to make sure they go out, to be safe. But was nice.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you txjim for clarifying it.
As you say, it is more for convenience than a must-have. Have you seen any aftermarket add-on ?
By the way, have you received the deposit back from David McDavid in Houston? How did they handle that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hello Lotus18,

see this link:
http://www.directed.com/security/access/oaccess.html#nitelite

It is exactly what you are looking for.

Model number is 545T

I have installed one on my 2000 EX over a year ago and it is great.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

RobertC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
I remember I posted months ago about adding this on after I saw on TV about this aftermarket accesssory.
Just like the DRL, I thought Honda should be making this a standard at least for the EX.
Many brands costing less has this feature standard already. It is a convenient features, don't you guys think ?
Has anyone install this or know where to find that accessory ? I happened to see ONCE on TV only, don't know where to buy this.
</font>

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RobertC,
Thanks for the info. I have been looking for that for quite sometimes.
However, on the website you provided, I found no more info about that NiteLite system other than a brief description, part# and price. Don't even know how it is packaged and how it looks. Where did you purchase it? and the price is Canadian $ or us $? Can't buy it online?
Did you install yourself? how difficult was it to install myself?
Sorry for all these questions. I am so excited about that.
Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bought mine from a local dealer in Canada for $75 CDN if I remember correctly.

For a picture of the item and a place that advertise it online see;

http://www.autopreservers.com/security/acc/545t.htm they advertise it for 42.00 USD.

(Never purchase anything from this vendor, just found it by doing a search for 545T on Google.com).

Here is a more detailed specs on the unit:
http://www.directed.com/guides/pdfs/Clifford/ogs/nightvision_owners.pdf

Do not worry if it states Clifford (It is the same unit) Directed Electronics owns Clifford.

The module itself is about the size of 4" L X 3" W X 1.5" H, plus you have the relay module (2 Relays ( 1"W X 2"L X 2"H) and the sensor with is about .75" Round X .25" H).

I have installed the sensor in the left defrost outlet on the top of the dash in the last opening toward the middle. The module got installed on top of the heater ducts in the middle above the radio and routed the wires towards the steering assembly were it meets the dash. Wired the relay across the light switch so that in effect these 30Amps relays are switching the Odyssey light relays.

If you know your way around cars and electrical knowledge it is not too difficult to install. But if you are unsure about what you are doing, STOP, get it done professionally because for the matter of saving a measly 50 bucks you might transform your Odyssey in a burning torch.

Mandatory material required to do the install, Honda's Service Manual for the Odyssey.

Took me about 2 hours to install (I know I am slow, I did not want to break anything).

If you need a copy of the install instruction for the unit, email me, I will scan the manual and sent it to you.

Best regards from Montreal

RobertC

[email protected]
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
RobertC,
Thanks for the info. I have been looking for that for quite sometimes.
However, on the website you provided, I found no more info about that NiteLite system other than a brief description, part# and price. Don't even know how it is packaged and how it looks. Where did you purchase it? and the price is Canadian $ or us $? Can't buy it online?
Did you install yourself? how difficult was it to install myself?
Sorry for all these questions. I am so excited about that.
Thanks.
</font>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bonjour Robert,

How does the unit interact with the existing headlight switch and timer: is the switch always in the ON position or OFF position, and does the existing auto-off timer still work or is it taken over by the auto-headlight unit?
Same question for the wipers switch if you connected the unit so that it turns the lights automatically when the wipers are on. Does the switch work independently from the unit, and if not, who takes over the other one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bonjour cher ami,

I will have to dig the info up, I'll reply on saturday, the same time I will send information to the other user who I have answered in my post

Best regards

Robert

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by xophe:
Bonjour Robert,

How does the unit interact with the existing headlight switch and timer: is the switch always in the ON position or OFF position, and does the existing auto-off timer still work or is it taken over by the auto-headlight unit?
Same question for the wipers switch if you connected the unit so that it turns the lights automatically when the wipers are on. Does the switch work independently from the unit, and if not, who takes over the other one?

Thanks.
</font>

·
Registered
318 Posts
Here I am finally with some info.

It all depends on how you connect it up.

I wired the module on my Ody so it by-passes the headlight/parking light switch so it does not defeat the headlight switch nor will it affect the function of the auto-off feature of the Ody EX.

For the wipers feature, if you wire it to interact, as soon as you switch the wipers on it will energize and activate the headlights and parking lights.

There is also another option where the unit can work as Safe-Lite mode where it will energize the healights/parking lights as soon as the ignition is on.

If you want more info, email me you email address and I will sent you the scan copies of the very small brochure (4 Pages, 2 pages per letter size paper format).

Best regards from Montreal

RobertC
[email protected]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by xophe:
Bonjour Robert,

Thanks.
</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts