Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I defeated mine, by reading the "warning" on the Autostop page of the manual. It has specific instructions of what not to do, in the context of Autostop, so all you have to do, is to do what it says not to. Mine has not every auto-stopped as a result. :) I think you have to open the hood with the door open and engine running or something to that effect.

·
Registered
2022 Odyssey EX-L Lunar Silver Metallic, Gray Interior
37 Posts
I was looking for a device to permanently shut off the start/stop feature in our Odyssey. I contacted one company that makes such a device, Autostop Eliminator Autostop Eliminator - The only no-compromise solution! to see if they planned to make one for the Odyssey and received a response back that if they could get a vehicle, they would make one.

Unfortunately for me, they are located in the Fairmont, WV area and while I grew up in WV I now live in Missouri. If anybody is in the northern WV area and would be interested in letting them use your vehicle to develop a unit they will give you a device once finished for your troubles. Too bad I'm not still in the area as I'd be all over it. Some of their units, such as for the Pacifica, simply plug into the OBD II port and that's it. Then you simply use the auto start/stop button to turn it off or on but it remembers your choice and keeps it that way even after shutting off the vehicle.

The gentleman who responded was Travis Lambert and his email is [email protected] if anybody is in that area and willing to offer up your Odyssey.
This thread appears to have died a bit. I happen to live in Morgantown (20 miles from Fairmont) but am also in the middle of moving away from the area.

Mainly, I'm interested in the passion behind eliminating the autostop feature. Is it just the added start cycles that worries drivers? Or is it mainly just annoying? It's certainly hard to see it being super beneficial.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
This thread appears to have died a bit. I happen to live in Morgantown (20 miles from Fairmont) but am also in the middle of moving away from the area.

Mainly, I'm interested in the passion behind eliminating the autostop feature. Is it just the added start cycles that worries drivers? Or is it mainly just annoying? It's certainly hard to see it being super beneficial.
Personally I do not like the car shutting off and on at every traffic light or stop sign. Although the AGM battery is designed for deep cycle charging but the the ODY charging system takes longer to recover, especially in town driving. Next the starter is not any more heavy duty than any other older Honda. And it would be my problems if I was at a traffic light after the last 15 stops and the battery did not have the voltage/current to restart the ODY or when you get home and the next morning you press the Start button and it will not start. I know that you can press a AID button on the console to disable it until the next time you shut-off the ODY, then you have to press the AIS button again. I purchased and installed this device:
Home | Idlestopper

·
Registered
61 Posts
for me its just annoying, i live in the south and have the AC going all the time, having the engine shut off at every light turns off the AC and i just dont like that. i installed the same Idlestopper that DJVAN linked, bit pricey for what your getting, but to me not having to remember to hit that button every time i start the van is priceless.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I find it dangerous, not so much on the road but when the engine starts stopping and starting while you are trying to get into a tight and busy parking spot things get interesting.

Sucks to have the AC shut off too, even though it does go into disable mode if it is really hot.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Personally I hate having my tools, cars, technologies make decisions for me. Maybe giving away my age but it irks me.
Practically, living in NYC and driving in Brooklyn this thing triggers every 20s, AC on/off etc.
Just not practical for city driving.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't think there is anything special about the devices (they should all work the same). It's a time-delayed relay that briefly "shorts" the contacts after engine startup.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Although at the time when I installed the Idlestopper it was shown in paperwork rather than as a youTube video. My greatest problem was with my big hands and they shake badly (those that stick-weld would love the shaky hands for welding). With a bad back, I had a hard time trying to figure out each step in doing the work. Also the small crimps they supplied was very hard to impossible for my big shaky hands. The interior panels was hard to pop-off without my fear of breaking anything made of plastic. Once I had it apart and wiring hooked up it probably took 2 hours to reassemble or less. For those of you that think it's too much to do, take the ODY to someone that works installing stereo systems and they should be able to do it in probably an hour of time.
I just watched the video of the Idlestopper install. No way am I gonna do all that. I will just push the stupid button.
lol thought the same thing
If you really think it's easier just to push the button each time to disable the AIS, see how you feel after a few years of doing this, I would estimate over a thousand times each year or more of pushing this button.

Reactions: tyman

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
146 Posts
Although at the time when I installed the Idlestopper it was shown in paperwork rather than as a youTube video. My greatest problem was with my big hands and they shake badly (those that stick-weld would love the shaky hands for welding). With a bad back, I had a hard time trying to figure out each step in doing the work. Also the small crimps they supplied was very hard to impossible for my big shaky hands. The interior panels was hard to pop-off without my fear of breaking anything made of plastic. Once I had it apart and wiring hooked up it probably took 2 hours to reassemble or less. For those of you that think it's too much to do, take the ODY to someone that works installing stereo systems and they should be able to do it in probably an hour of time.

If you really think it's easier just to push the button each time to disable the AIS, see how you feel after a few years of doing this, I would estimate over a thousand times each year or more of pushing this button.
I’ve done it before on other vehicles. Meh.

·
Registered
2022 Ody EX-L and 2018 Civic HB Sport
11 Posts
I defeated mine, by reading the "warning" on the Autostop page of the manual. It has specific instructions of what not to do, in the context of Autostop, so all you have to do, is to do what it says not to. Mine has not every auto-stopped as a result. :) I think you have to open the hood with the door open and engine running or something to that effect.
Is this the warning you're referring to? So all we have to do is open the hood while the engine is running and the auto stop/start will never work again??!? Sounds too good to be true! Worth a shot though. I'll report back.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

21 - 34 of 34 Posts