Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We love our new '01 Odyssey, which we've had about 6 weeks now, but want to tell about a scare we had on the first day we owned it.

We'd brought the car home late at night, and the next morning our daughters, aged 7 and 10, ran out to see it. I followed with the keys. Almost immediately, my 7 yo started screaming (she was on the other side of the van by now) and I could see the passenger side sliding door opening. I pushed the button on the keyring for that door, and it fortunately stopped, another push reversed it's direction.

What had happened was this: my younger daughter had pressed her body against the side of the van, near the back, to peer in the window. Her elbows were pointed out, flat against the window. Meanwhile, my older dd had grasped the door handle to look inside. The door opened over my daughter's arm. Because I stopped it before it finished opening, and reversed it, no serious harm was done- just some redness, a minor scrape, and bruising. I don't know what how seriously her arm might have been hurt if I hadn't done this.

The door's safety stop works when the door is closing, but not at all when it is opening. I later tried to forcibly stop the door once it began to open, and I cannot-only the button, on the keys or in the car, will stop it once it begins. My older dd was trying frantically to close it at the time, too.

It seemed like a freak accident, but when you think about it, kids often peer into the back of cars like that. I took some pictures of her arm, and of the position she'd been standing in against the vehicle, they've just been developed and I hope to write Honda soon. I think they should address this.

Lori

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I am going to repost a copy of your post in the "Problems and Concerns" forum. Technically, this is the correct forum, but I suspect a lot of people without kids tend to avoid reading it:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I copied this post from one of the "other" odyclub forums today.

Today I got a frantic call in my office from my wife that our 3 year old had his face stuck in the electric door of our 2000 EX!!!

To clarify it a little bit, my 3 yr old opened the door with the handle as my wife pushed the button on the remote to open the door at the same time. The door opened 5 inches and froze, then my wife pushed the button again trying to open it and the door started closing, meanwhile my son poked his face in the van and my wife ran to the car to stop the door. The door actually shut on his nose and part of his face (his lips, etc.) This sounds weird because you would think the door would reverse but it didn't. My wife tried to use the handle to open the door and it would not budge. She ended up pulling him backwards and the tip of his nose is black & blue and his lips are bruised. Thank god his nose isn't broken and he seems ok but I am very concerned now.
My 3 yr old knows how to open and close the doors by himself and though I always worried a little that he could get hurt I always thought if god forbid something happened the door would reverse.

[This message has been edited by tomhan (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is this a good reason to enable the child safety locks on both doors when travelling with children?

I don't see why any passengers need to mess with the doors anyway... seeing as you have to put it in park before they can use them, the driver is better suited to press the dash button at the right time.

Does anyone know if the door handle is completely useless w/ the child safety locks on? Or does it still work if the door is in mid-opening or any other situation?

------------------
2001 Mesa Beige EX

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Child safety locks generally prevent the door from opening at all from the inside, once it has been closed. If the door is open, the child safety locks should have no effect. I don't have an EX, so it's possible that is works differently with the power doors.

I think it is best not to use the child safety locks, unless you have a child that insists on opening the doors while the vehicle is in motion. In the remote possibility of a crash where the front doors are jammed, you may want to be able to open the sliders from the inside. Obviously, if your kids keep opening the rear door while you're driving, thats a much bigger risk:)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The doors are locked out when the car is in motion. Even with the slider circuit modified, the doors can't be operated above speeds of 2-3 mph.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
automatic door scare

I had a scary moment few weeks ago with the automatic doors. I had two kids inside the van while I was loading cargo in the trunk. A friend's kid was near the side of the van. What happened next was a mystery and a miracle. I think one of my kids shut the door and the friend's kid's index finger got caught on the back edge of the door as the door closed. Fortunately, his finger got stuck on the sliding door groove (the ugly line running on the rear fender) and therefore saved his finger. Nonetheless, his finger got stuck with the door closed and he was crying in pain. When I opened the door and checked his finger, he had a very bad bruise, but no broken bones. He had to go to the emergency room. Although there is a sensor on the front side of the door, there is no such safety device for the rear of the door. Then again, how often will something like this happen? If his finger got caught one inch higher or lower on the door, I would have been going to the emergency room with a detached finger packed in a icebox.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts