Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Touring Elite over the weekend and I've got a quick question that I can't seem to sort out (and couldn't locate via the search function here). When I put the headlight knob in the "auto" position, it automatically turns the headlights on and dims the cabin/nav. It does this even when the car is outside in the middle of the afternoon on a sunny day.

I tried adjusting the sensitivity setting in the menu, but it didn't seem to have any effect. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Many owners have experienced similar issues with the auto headlights, including me. In my experience it seems that when the shadow of the roof falls over the sensor (middle of top of dash near windshield) then the headlights turn on. Also happens other times that I can't quite figure out. My theory is that it's trying too hard to detect going through a tunnel or something. Anyway, I've given up and just use them manually since their sensor programming sucks IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the instrument panel light level? I have induced it to change from night to day mode by doing this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think there is a setting to change the level of light needed to switch on the lights. Maybe yours is set to the most sensitive level? If you turn it down, it will need to be darker to turn on when in auto mode.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think there is a setting to change the level of light needed to switch on the lights. Maybe yours is set to the most sensitive level? If you turn it down, it will need to be darker to turn on when in auto mode.
Our 2011 EX-L Navi all of a sudden, after 5 months, is much more sensitive to darkness, with the lights coming in even in a shadow in bright daylight. I figured there was a setting that got hit accidentally but I cannot find anything in the menu nor in the owners manual. The sensor is not covered, and I don't want to put windex or something else on it in case that screws it up further and gives Honda reason to deny a warranty claim if it is faulty. Any other ideas before a service visit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem as the OP. I traded an 07 Touring for a 13 Touring Elite. The auto headlight sensor sensitivity worked fine for me in the 07. But with this new van, I have to be in view of the bright sun for the headlights to turn off.

I read the manual and:

1 - found the sensor on the dash to make sure it was not covered by a film or sticker
2 - programmed the sensitivity to min, low, mid, high, max. Min definitely worked better for me but I still need to be in view of the sun for the headlights to turn off
3- I am not referring to the daytime running high beams

I am just using the manual on/off now. It is ironic that I have to pass through the auto setting to get to manual on!

Are others experiencing the same or does this sound like a new car defect I should return to the dealer for?

Thank you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine is the same. I sometimes get concerned that the peron in front of me will think I am flashing my lights at them and inadvertantly cause a road rage problem. So, when I notice them going on and off, I will just turn them on until I know it won't do it anymore.

One improvement they did make in regards to this is that the GPS lighting is now no longer tied to the headlights being on or off. In my 08 I used to have the headlights on in the daytime rain but the GPS would go to nightime setting and be almost impossible to see. Now, if I turn the headlights on in the daytime when it rains, the GPS stays on the daytime setting unless the clouds are really dark.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the same problem as the OP. I traded an 07 Touring for a 13 Touring Elite. The auto headlight sensor sensitivity worked fine for me in the 07. But with this new van, I have to be in view of the bright sun for the headlights to turn off.

I read the manual and:

1 - found the sensor on the dash to make sure it was not covered by a film or sticker
2 - programmed the sensitivity to min, low, mid, high, max. Min definitely worked better for me but I still need to be in view of the sun for the headlights to turn off
3- I am not referring to the daytime running high beams

I am just using the manual on/off now. It is ironic that I have to pass through the auto setting to get to manual on!

Are others experiencing the same or does this sound like a new car defect I should return to the dealer for?

Thank you.
Only the Touring and TE are adjustable. I had our photo sensor replaced in our EX-L but I do not believe it made a difference. There are certain angles of the sun that seem to throw it off - not sure why.

The issue appears to be more of a design defect than a manufacturing defect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts