Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Happy owner of an 06 Touring RN... I know the van has that security relock feature which I've already programmed to my liking... but this only seems to work this way:

1- Van is off and all doors locked.
2- I press unlock on remote, doors unlock.
3- I DO NOT open any doors.
4- Programmed time passes.
5- Doors automatically relock.

What I really want is for the doors to lock on their own after I have exited the vehicle and have not yet pressed the lock button on the remote. I keep forgetting to press the lock button on the remote after egress since I'm used to having aftermarket alarms on my other vehicles which locked the doors automatically after thirty seconds or so of the last door closing.

While the behavior I numbered above is appreciated, it only helps when I "mistakingly" press the unlock button (which I've never really had happen)... my biggest problem is leaving the van unlocked to begin with... I thought I'd get used to locking it, but I keep finding I leave it unlocked... at the mall, supermarket, anywhere... yikes.

Can this be done on my Ody?? How???

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds strange that a car would lock itself once you exit and it could create a problem. It might not be smart, but many people leave their keys in the car when they park in the garage of their own home. Or, what if someone backs the car out of the garage to wash it on the driveway, many will just turn off the car and leave the keys on the seat before they exit the car. Both examples, they are now locked out. An extra set of keys may be close at hand, but maybe not.

Many cars will relock if you unlock them and do not enter within a certain time period, that is common these days...but an auto lock upon car exit might be too much trouble for most folks. I do not think the Honda factory "security" system will not support such a thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
But every aftermarket alarm system I've ever seen does exactly this, of course you can usually turn the feature off if you don't prefer it, but they've always been that way.
Most insurance companies will even give you a discount if your car alarm activates itself automatically, without having to press any buttons. Usually when an alarm activates itself, it also locks the doors, wouldn't make much sense not to.
With regards to me, I have never had an issue with leaving my keys in the car, ever. It's just a behavior thing I guess. Must be that the same way people leaving their keys locked in the car is not common to me, is as silly to them as how I leave my car unlocked. :p Honda came so close to getting this option in there with the security relock feature, so just give us the option to have it one way or another. Honda even has an advantage to the aftermarket alarms in that it can sense if the key is in the ignition and not lock the doors in those situations.

I wash my cars in two stages... inside and out. :D While washing the outside I never want to open the doors or anything, so it's not a big deal. The keys are in my pocket or waistband. Again, I agree with you totally that for many (most??) people it can cause keys-locked-inside problems, but for me... it's car-not-locked-at-all syndrome.

Anyhow, not really complaining about Honda, like I said, it's mostly an aftermarket feature I've been used to... but they came sooo close... and I don't want to add an aftermarket alarm to my Ody, at least not yet. Maybe later,if I find one that lets me keep my programmable seat settings, open/close all doors and tailgate... and is also two-way and remote-start capable. I personally installed an AutoPage in my CR-V that even tells me right on the LCD screen of the remote what type of break-in has occured (i.e. window break, door open, hood, etc.), what the temperature in the car is, if someone is at the car needing me they can tap on the windshield and I get paged, plus a whole bunch of other stuff... all from upto 1/4 mile away. But I haven't found a unit for the Ody that will not leave me missing features on my factory fob.

Anybody know of a simple aftermarket module I can add to cheaply accomplish the auto-locking at least??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used to have a 1995 Honda Accord and its factory security system had an option for the auto lock upon exit, after 20 seconds. Mine was set to honk the horn one brief time if the doors autolocked, which surprised me (in a good way) on several occasions. It was a great feature, I never locked my keys in the car, and I wish my 04 Odyssey had the same option.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I'm actually wondering if anybody knows of an _aftermarket_ module that will do just the auto locking. In passing I mentioned that Honda came very close to achieving this being that they have the other auto-lock features and the security relock... but again, I've never seen a car do this from the factory so no sense whining about it.
As many cars as have aftermarket alarms nowadays, I'm sure there are many that use this feature besides me... I'd love to add an alarm but then I'd lose some very nice features, so just a module that can accomplish this would be perfect. Some type of simple timer that pulses the door locks after x amount of time post exit, maybe when it notices that the courtesy lamps shut off or something???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone figured out how to disable auto-relock? I need to leave the van unlocked for an hour or three so the mother-in-law can pick up the van and take kids to swimming practice. She only has the valet key, the 2nd fob is on the wife's keychain. I know, give the 2nd fob to the MIL. That's a PITA.

Love the van, I just hate 'safety'/security features that can't be disabled.

I have the '08 factory service manuals and will peruse the appropriate sections but can't imagine I'd be so lucky as to find a dedicated fuse to pull, or an easter egg to de-program the auto-locking black box......

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't think you can turn the auto lock function off. On Touring you have the 30, 60, 90 second option but not to completley turn it off.

But your MIL's valet key can open the driver door also..so you don't have to leave the van open or give her your other key fob. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Auto relock works only if you accidently open van (with remote in the pocket)and if you do not open any doors othervise u cold leave yours keys in the vehicle so if you unlock it with remote and open and shut any doors will not lock it but if you unlock it and do not open door (sample forgot to buy some thing in the store )car will lock itself

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mikerz-

Thanks, I'll have to go play with that. I had just unlocked it with the remote fob but didn't touch the car otherwise.

·
Registered
197 Posts
MIKERZ,

Was right, if you unlocked with the key fob and not open any door, it will auto relock all doors by itself, I think this is normal, so is mine EX-L, also our 05/01 Toyota Camry are the same. I don't think it a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did anyone ever find out if the Ody can have this "auto-lock after exit" feature either by a mod or an after-market unit? My wife is always forgetting to lock the van after she parks it and gets out, even just in front of our house. The easiest fix would be to have it auto-lock, and I hide a spare key on the van, in case we ever lock the keys in by mistake.

Thanks, ..Roger

·
Registered
19 Posts
Solved: Automatic Relock of Doors after exiting??

Well I've solved my problem by building something for about $40 which uses an small off-the-shelf programmable timer + relay module, connected to a remote FOB. I trigger off of loss of AUX power, wait about 10mins, closes the relay for a second, shorts out the FOB lock switch and the doors are all locked. Could get fancier and wire into door locks/sensors, etc, but this was much simpler, can be removed easily (3 wires), and I didn't need to purchase and figure out wiring diagrams, etc.

I'll post details later.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re: Solved: Automatic Relock of Doors after exiting??

rcolbeck said:
Well I've solved my problem by building something for about $40 which uses an small off-the-shelf programmable timer + relay module, connected to a remote FOB. I trigger off of loss of AUX power, wait about 10mins, closes the relay for a second, shorts out the FOB lock switch and the doors are all locked. Could get fancier and wire into door locks/sensors, etc, but this was much simpler, can be removed easily (3 wires), and I didn't need to purchase and figure out wiring diagrams, etc.

I'll post details later.
Sounds like I'm going to do this mod....I keep on forgetting to lock the doors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts