Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a good way to connect an external audio device (MP3 player, for example) to the factory receiver? I have the EX CD/receiver and the indash 6-CD changer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, just found the earlier thread on this, and it's not encouraging. Does anyone have the pinout of the Molex connector between the head unit and the changer?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, if you can live with your MP3s coming from the front speakers only, it is possible to use the NAVI System audio inputs to the radio. If you apply +12V to pin 14 of the main connector of the head unit, the front speakers will mute the radio audio and instead present any audio signal applied to pins 12 (right) and 13 (left). Pin 11 is ground for these signals. If you have the NAVI, you obviously would have to switch these inputs somehow (e.g., a relay and a diode or two could be used to automatically switch the audio between the external input and the NAVI computer, giving the latter priority. Note however that it might be dangerous to drive an inductive load like a relay from the 12V mute signal from the NAVI computer--best to use some kind of buffer.)

There are two things to note about such a setup:
1) The radio volume control does not affect the NAVI inputs, so your external source will need its own volume control.
2) You will continue to hear the radio in the rear speakers (they are *not* muted by pin 14), although because of #1, you can just turn the volume down.

Note: several people have suggested that the NAVI mute signal merely reduces the volume of the radio. This is not true. The front speakers are completely muted and the rear speakers are unaffected. It sounds like it a volume reduction, but you really just hearing the rear speakers at full volume. (If you don't believe me, play with your "fade" control.)

[This message has been edited by avanti (edited 10-13-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by avanti:

Note: several people have suggested that the NAVI mute signal merely reduces the volume of the radio. This is not true. The front speakers are completely muted and the rear speakers are unaffected. It sounds like it a volume reduction, but you really just hearing the rear speakers at full volume. (If you don't believe me, play with your "fade" control.)

[This message has been edited by avanti (edited 10-13-2001).]
</font>
Avanti,
Thanks for clarifying this. I inquired about this on another thread, but never got a definite answer....

Curious, anyone out there try this yet?
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 10-13-2001).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've tried it in a limited way. I have connected an SPST switch between pin 14 and +12V and connected the audio output from a laptop to pins 12 and 13. Works fine. I have the NAVI, but I haven't yet put in a relay--I just connected the computer audio in parallel with the NAVI input. This works OK, except that the NAVI audio is barely audible when the switch is on and the computer connected. I suspect that mixing the two audio signals through a couple of capacitors would fix this, but I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
rollie66:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Honda has not even been able to do this. They use an external fm modulato on their video system. </font>
Just a clarification: Rollie's talking about the I-VES, the dealer add-on VHS deck with flip down ceiling mounted screen.

The factory rear entertainment system, RES, is completely integrated into the factory head unit. No FM modulator there.

I just didn't want any lurkers going away thinking that RES is a hacked-on afterthought. It's not. It's a great piece, fully integrated and very nicely thought out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just got an 02 EX and want to connect my MP3 player to the CD player. Has anyone looked into connecting in where the CD changer or tape player would connect? I don't plan on adding either in the future. Would the volume control on the CD player still function?

-Karl

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by karl:
I just got an 02 EX and want to connect my MP3 player to the CD player. Has anyone looked into connecting in where the CD changer or tape player would connect? I don't plan on adding either in the future. Would the volume control on the CD player still function?

-Karl
</font>
It's a proprietary digital interface. Would be difficult (though not impossible) to hack. Peripheral makes an interface that allows you to connect a Clarion changer and add an RCA input.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/periph_products/cd_changer_autos/acura_honda.htm

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Don't think one exists. And you need the clarion changer to make this adapter work, no jerry rigging the adapter on its own...

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thanks to shinjohn, I just found this thread. Im interested in using the NAVI input to hook in my 9" TV/VCR to the rear speakers and playing the head unit through the front. (See http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=41486#post41486) I would need to switch the wiring of the front and rear speakers and then hook up the outputs from the TV's headphone jack to the NAVI inputs you describe.

My question is, does the head unit provide amplification for the external source or does it just let it pass through? I don't think the headphone jack no the TV will provide enough power for the speakers.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
dgs said:
Thanks to shinjohn, I just found this thread....

My question is, does the head unit provide amplification for the external source or does it just let it pass through? I don't think the headphone jack no the TV will provide enough power for the speakers.
Yep, head unit provides amplification.

·
Registered
883 Posts
shinjohn said:

Yep, head unit provides amplification.
Hey shinjohn (or anyone else who knows),

Before I tear my dash apart to tackle this, does the EX CD head unit have 6 speaker outputs or 4? I know there are 6 speakers, 4 in front and 2 in back, but are the two pair of fronts wired in series off of the sasme radio outputs? As you can probably tell, I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous!:eek: I want to do this mod, but I don't want to fry my Ody's sound system in the process. :D

Aslo, I am planning to get the Helm service manual soon, are the diagrams for the radio outputs in there or do I need to buy the wiring manual too? I was hoping not to buy the wiring manual.

Thanks for all of you're help.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
dgs said:

Hey shinjohn (or anyone else who knows),

Before I tear my dash apart to tackle this, does the EX CD head unit have 6 speaker outputs or 4? I know there are 6 speakers, 4 in front and 2 in back, but are the two pair of fronts wired in series off of the sasme radio outputs?
The front door speakers and the dash tweeters are wired parallel to the front speaker outputs of the head unit. The head unit has 4 speaker outs.

Aslo, I am planning to get the Helm service manual soon, are the diagrams for the radio outputs in there or do I need to buy the wiring manual too? I was hoping not to buy the wiring manual.

Thanks for all of you're help.
The ETM is the one that has the radio wiring codes and harness. Here's some radio code info:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/wireharnessHonda3.htm

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2079&highlight=wire+color

One of these days I gotta get around to archiving some of this info on my website...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there something wrong with an FM modulator?

This one is $40.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=205-215&DID=7

I'm asking because I am planning a video install when my Ody ('02 RRP EX-L) arrives, and am thinking along those lines.

What I'm actually thinking about doing is splitting the audio to a wireless headphone xmitter & an FM modulator, so the front seaters can ignore or listen to the audio.

·
Registered
883 Posts
An FM modulator would send the audio to all the speakers. The set up described above only interupts the rear speakers (if you swap the wiring) and lets the radio or tape or CD play through the fronts. Mom and Dad can enjoy grown up sounds while the little ones listen to singing veggies and purple dinos.:D

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
lsmilg said:
Is there something wrong with an FM modulator?

This one is $40.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=205-215&DID=7

I'm asking because I am planning a video install when my Ody ('02 RRP EX-L) arrives, and am thinking along those lines.

What I'm actually thinking about doing is splitting the audio to a wireless headphone xmitter & an FM modulator, so the front seaters can ignore or listen to the audio.

The down side to the FM modulator is simply sound quality. You are limited by the bandwidth of your tuner section with a modulator (i.e.- if you pipe in a CD player, it still sounds only as good as your tuner allows).

Spliting the signal as you stated should be no problem, you're just saying if the front passengers do not want to hear the audio track of the video source, they can select another source and set the fader up front to not bother rear headphone wearing passengers. A fine plan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts