Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't ask me how.... but after much praying (to the ody gods)... today ive acquired what apparently is the last avc-rgb1 unit on the planet..... somehow.... someway... i got really really really really really lucky and found one for sale on some obscure car audio website.... caraudio22.com ..... but don't even try because it was their last unit....

i can't explain in words how elated i am.... i had already given up on finding one after sending out posts to every vendor of car audio equipment out there..... but i guess if you wish hard enough.... things happen... please excuse my excitement.... now i have to figure out if i can perform the video to navi mod..... im not used to taking things apart that aren't broken.... i will have to build up my confidence as well as do more research before trying

-nemogira: is the offer still open/you being available for hire to perform the video to navi mod? just in case i dont muster the courage...

im also wanting in on the almost invisible rear view camera mod.... im in awe on how many other uses have been thought of for the already novel navi screen *bowing down* *bowing down*

i just hope i can be worthy of you all and pull it off...
please pray for me

·
1,484 Posts
Congrats on finding possibly the last AVC-RGB1 ever sold. Those things are harder to find than an Ody at a dealership! Yes my offer still stands - but don't let the conversion instructions scare you too much. It is a bit confusing at first, but believe me...anybody could do it.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the backup nemogira,
i don't see me starting this project anytime soon due to among other things, me getting a new job... i really should concentrate on learning the ropes as i have switched professions...
anyhow i only have the avc-rgb1, and still need to amass all the other parts anyway... btw what switch did you use to mount on the dash... i like how yours looks in relation to the dash... also are there any other parts i should buy right away before they go extinct?

right now my ultimate (still tentative)plans are to mount the icon dvd player DAL used in his install under the drivers seat (i like how his remote eye is mounted by the rear view mirror)... my long term plan would be to install a screen for the rear passengers (barring i get the navi screen to play video first)... i also am planning on using an FM modulator like DAL did as i am wanting to retain the factory deck...
later, i wanna crack at the almost invisible rear view camera mod by avanti.... (all this will probably take me a year) unless i take off time from my job.... we'll see
jq

·
1,484 Posts
I got the switch from Radio Shack. They have a wide variety of switches so take your time and look around. The AVC-RGB1 is the only part you have to worry about being extinct. Luckily you don't have to worry that anymore.

Also congrats on the new job!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
16 Posts
apexace said:
I'm hoping that someone will come up with an adapter/converter in place of the unobtainable pioneer unit. I found the following site
http://www.nav-tv.com

sounds like they have the right idea but looks expensive.
It's actually not that complicated of a circuit. In
fact, ALL television sets have this kind of circuitry
since they must convert the NTSC composite signal to
seperate R, G, and B signals to drive the guns of the
picture tube. Several chip manufacturers make single-
chip NTSC to RGB decoders.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You're right, it's not all that complex. The problem is that all of the relatively simple chips that do this conversion seem to have been discontinued. Modern TV designs use highly integrated (often custom) chips that incorporate the needed function deep inside far more complex packages. It is conceivable that the scarcity of the the avc-rgb1 may be due to Pioneer's inability to obtain the chips necessary to manufacture another batch (this is just a speculation).

BTW: has anybody looked at their rgb1 to see what chip it uses?

--avanti

·
Registered
530 Posts
I ordered one yesterday also

I hope there is one more left on the planet. I ordered one yesterday and it appeared in stock, but I really don't believe that. My credit card was charged, but I bet it will be cancelled. If that happens, are there alternatives to the RGB1?

·
1,484 Posts
The inventor of the VideoNAVI mod (Steve) is saying on Acura-TL.com that he's working on developing a plug-n-play decoder/tv tuner unit for the Honda/Acura navigation systems.
-Nestor

·
Registered
530 Posts
That's good news

nemogira said:
The inventor of the VideoNAVI mod (Steve) is saying on Acura-TL.com that he's working on developing a plug-n-play decoder/tv tuner unit for the Honda/Acura navigation systems.
-Nestor
Do you have any idea about when it might be ready and the price about? If I am successful in getting the Pioneer AVCRGB-1, is it hard to do and even if I get it, should I wait for Steve's new item?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts