Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 LX, 153K miles. Regular oil change (by myself). 120K replaced tranny. Dealer split the cost. In the middle of Spring Break noticed oil on the drive way. Thought it was coming from the tranny. Took it to a local Dealer as my warranty for the tranny is still good. They confirmed the oil is motor oil (I should have known that....duhhh). Confirmed the rear main was NOT replaced when the replacement tranny was put in 2 years ago. Said it would cost $950 to replace. GULP.

I have every intention to sell our van asap, as we are moving on to a larger vehicle soon...(more kids). I really don't want to drop 1K to fix this gasket.

Anyone have any good, reasonable ideas to reduce the leak so I can sell my van? It drips about 10 or so times when hot. I've heard some additives can help. Thoughts? (oh and I know most will say just fix it but understand I don't want to throw money into it when I will be selling in within the next month or so).

What a drag........

·
Registered
355 Posts
Take it to an independent shop and get a quote, it should run much less for the seal replacement.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Try high mileage oils, they are designed to help in this type of cases. There are no downsides to using name brand high quality oil.

There are other magic elixirs but then you might be taking a risk.

- Vikas

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
- VIkas:

I'll give it a try.

What ERRKS me is the $##@ sealer didn't replace the gasket when they put my replacement tranny on at 120. I don't know who the larger mororn, me for not demanding it or Me for expecting them to do so.

Grrrrr. I'm so mad at them I could spit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
clean the oily area up best you can, go trade it in, and don't worry about it any further. An 11 y.o. car with 150k+ miles isn't going to command top dollar anyway. Top it off with the fact it's an Odyssey (crappy trans), and the value is even lower. Finally, nobody expects a car that old to be leak free. My guess is it won't make a bit of difference in the trade-in value. At least not as much as you'll spend in money and frustration getting it fixed. My opinion....

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't want to be rude, but you're worried about ten or so drops?

Just cuz it's a Honda, doesn't mean it won't leak or use some oil. Top it up and don't worry about it.;)

The biggest pi$$-off I have with our two is the never-ending leak of power steering fluid at the reservoir hose couplings.... just needs the factory spring clamps replaced with some screw clamps, I've just been too lazy to "git-er-done.":DD

Regards,
Shea:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just put 10w-40 high mileage in it to see if I can reduce the flow. The issue is you can't drive up someone's driveway without leaving your small mark. Like a dog with a bladder problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sontakke:

You are right 5w-30 is recommended; however, after careful research I thought I'd give it a try to see if the slower oil reduces the mess.

Upon careful inspection (I feel like an oil auditor) my van now leaks 2 drops till it cools sufficiently. It used to leak well over 15 (or till I stopped counting).

Truth be told, I don't know if it is because of the "40" viscosity or the higher mileage additives in the oil.

Either way I'm thrilled I've reduced it as the leak is so slow it mimics a slow leaking oil pan drain plug.

Come winter time I'll probably see if there is a 5w-40 (don't think there is), just to protect it more in the winter time--that is if I still own it by then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts