Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife barely drives this thing and I think most we got before the light came on was like 230 miles. I replaced the spark plugs, air filter, timing belt a month ago and just recently put on new tires.

Is there something to the ody that I'm not aware of?

TIA

·
Registered
447 Posts
What kind of driving?? how many gallons for 230 miles (mpg??)
If your sitting there in traffic, or idling in the drive-thru while waiting for the latte,
most non-electric cars will get aweful mileage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since she drives it shes usually filling up but I do recall that light goes on with about 5 gallons left and a full tank has 20 gallons. She does mix driving. AC is on most of the time because of our infant.

·
Registered
447 Posts
230 miles/15 gallons = 15.3 mpg. That's within 10% of EPAs estimate of 17mpg.
Your calculation method could easily have a 20% error factor.
For a good diagnostic, you need to be more accurate, reset the odometer at fill-up and record the actual miles/ gallons used.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Short trips & frequent stop & go traffic just kill the mpg in these vans. I can't believe this thread has been out there for over 24 hours and Wild Willy hasn't responded. He gets below 10 mpg in city driving, but over 25 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
odyssey's are notoriously horrible in town. Not too bad (I get 22 - 23 on highway fully loaded - 5 adult passengers with luggage) on highway. I have a 2003 Odyssey with 130K miles

John in Dayton

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even with mix driving highway and city still can't get more than 240. I'm trying to figure out if theres something I can clean or replace to improve gas mileage

·
Registered
16 Posts
Even with mix driving highway and city still can't get more than 240. I'm trying to figure out if theres something I can clean or replace to improve gas mileage
I get about the same gas mileage around town in my 2000 Ody. But, I just had the throttle body cleaned. My gas pedal was feeling weird - it was hard to push down at first.

Now, the gas pedal feels nice and smooth like it should. My mechanic said that this should improve gas mileage.

I had my plugs changed about 3 months ago and that helped some too.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Fell lucky....My wife's light comes on at around 150 miles. With 5 gallons left......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our 03 Odyssey with 140K miles routinely gets 18 mpg in mixed city,urban driving. On the Interstate I normally get 24-25mpg. UNLESS!!!!!! I drive over to Tuscaloosa Alabama, a 300 mile drive and fill up over there. Then my return mileage on the Interstate is 21 mpg. My Daughter's 2000 Toyota Camry gets 34 mpg on the trip TO Tuscaloosa but only 29 mpg on the trip home. Why???
More Ethanol in the gasoline sold in Tuscaloosa than here in Louisiana. I firmly believe the higher the Ethanol in the fuel, the worse the gas mileage.
I believe that if it says up to 10% on the pump, legally they are allowed up to 13% by Govt. Standards.
Perhaps they are putting more ethanol in your fuel where you live.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Its a 4000 lb van with a very powerful engine. Using all that power costs fuel. Keeping up with traffic in these vans drains the tank quickly. Accelerate slower than traffic (you can cruise at your normal speed) and taking your foot off the gas well before a red light will make a huge difference in these vans

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Its a 4000 lb van with a very powerful engine. Using all that power costs fuel. Keeping up with traffic in these vans drains the tank quickly. Accelerate slower than traffic (you can cruise at your normal speed) and taking your foot off the gas well before a red light will make a huge difference in these vans

Well, My GTO was 3800lbs, had 2 more cylinders, 350HP, and I beat the living **** out of it and still doubled the Oddy mpg on every fill up. 4 sets of rear tires in 17K miles.........and never got under 17-18mpg in town. Highway..30 easy

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, My GTO was 3800lbs, had 2 more cylinders, 350HP, and I beat the living **** out of it and still doubled the Oddy mpg on every fill up. 4 sets of rear tires in 17K miles.........and never got under 17-18mpg in town. Highway..30 easy
Wild, but what mileage did your GTO get when your wife drove it? :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Our 03 Odyssey with 140K miles routinely gets 18 mpg in mixed city,urban driving. On the Interstate I normally get 24-25mpg. UNLESS!!!!!! I drive over to Tuscaloosa Alabama, a 300 mile drive and fill up over there. Then my return mileage on the Interstate is 21 mpg. My Daughter's 2000 Toyota Camry gets 34 mpg on the trip TO Tuscaloosa but only 29 mpg on the trip home. Why???
More Ethanol in the gasoline sold in Tuscaloosa than here in Louisiana. I firmly believe the higher the Ethanol in the fuel, the worse the gas mileage.
I believe that if it says up to 10% on the pump, legally they are allowed up to 13% by Govt. Standards.
Perhaps they are putting more ethanol in your fuel where you live.
Could be ethanol, but also could be more wind resistance on the west bound trip. Generally in the US, the wind is more often from the west.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would check the wire that goes to the power steering pressure line switch. If it is broken or otherwise disconnected, the engine computer will dial in the fuel injectors on the fat side. (Don't ask me how I know this!) Ethanol can be considered a 'filler' for gasoline. It also has a lower BTU potential than gasoline hense the lower economy the higher percentage of ethanol in gasoline.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I miscalculated. Last time i filled up (again its not driven often put above 500 miles/month). I got about 240 miles when the light came on and it only took like 13.2 gallons to fill up. So I have less than 7 gallons when my light comes on. considering that. I get about 19-20 MPG with the mix driving not great but not bad i guess. Thanks for chiming in guys.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
So I have less than 7 gallons when my light comes on. considering that.
Most Honda's seem to be inconsistent as to exactly how much gas is left when the light comes on. In our current Ody, the light comes on when there is approx 5 gallons left in the tank, and my Pilot comes on with about 4 gallons remaining.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Most Honda's seem to be inconsistent as to exactly how much gas is left when the light comes on. In our current Ody, the light comes on when there is approx 5 gallons left in the tank, and my Pilot comes on with about 4 gallons remaining.
Have you guys tested this theory? I mean, if there is 5 gallons left in the tank when the light turns on, how far have you driven without running out of gas?

I did the test last summer I drove about 75 miles with the light on, I was driving on the highway and getting about 23+ miles per gallon at the time, so I definitely used more than 3 gallons. I was scared to push it more with 4 kids + the Mrs in the van. When I went to fill it, it took 17.5 gallons. I forced another 1.5 gallons in by slowly topping it off until the gas level was visible through the filler neck. I would really love to know if anyone has done over 100 miles with the light on. During this same trip, I went about 240 miles until the fuel gauge read 1/2 full (on the first regular tank, not the topped off one). You go another 100 miles and the light is on.

·
Registered
447 Posts
This is so goofy, it's baffling to me. You're willing to throw money
at it, but there may not even be a problem if you calculate MPG accurately.
I'll repeat incase you missed it:
Reset your odometer at full tank. Then record how many miles you drove when you fill your tank again. Record how many gallons to takes to fill. Divide miles by gallons.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts