Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these roof top cargo carrier? We are traveling on vacation soon and i thought it would be an inexpensive way to store the luggage up top. We don't have the crossbars on our 2001 EX, but we could get them. Here are links to both of the carriers from ebay....

Axius roof top cargo carrier:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=593232450&r=0&t=0">Axius</a>

Samsonite Rooftop Cargo Carrier:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=593292751&r=0&t=0">Samsonite</a>

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have the Axius. We have only used it once. I got a little agressive tightening one of the tie down straps & ripped it right off. I also broke one of the clips on another tie down. But I think both of those problems were from my over-tightening. We had no problems once we were on the road, and there were more than enough straps (even w/2 broken ones) to keep the load secure. I think that this type of bag works best if you fill it to capacity with similarly shaped objects. We had all sorts of stuff packed into it and had a lot of trouble routing the straps between oddly shaped items. We got ours at Target for around $50.00. It's O.K. for the ocasional trip. If you are going to travel more that once a year, I'd get a solid cargo carrier. But this is a good cheap alternative.
Brichead

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response....do you have the crossbars? If so, would you say i should get them, or would you say okay without?

thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually, I have an LX w/o a roof rack. I used this carrier on our other van. (Nissan Quest w/factory rack).
I would recommend the cross bars. This carrier has straps on all fours sides. Without the cross bars, you wouldn't have anywhere to tie down 4 of the straps. I also think that it wouldn't be very safe. Your load could possibly slide forward if you have to hit the brakes hard. Or if someone in a Mazda MPV pulls up next to you & wants to drag race........ But that a whole new thread.

Before you get on the road, make sure you tie down or tuck in all of the loose ends of the strapping. It really whips in the wind & makes all kind of racket hitting the roof. It took us 2 or 3 rest stops before we had them all secure.
Probably 95% of the time you wouldn't need the cross bars, but personally, I wouldn't take the risk. (just my opinions)
Good Luck!
Brichead

1 - 4 of 4 Posts