Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a seat heater problem I am trying to diagnose and was wondering if there is a way to easily enable scan on the body CAN codes? I understand on earlier models that a jumper in the drivers fuse assembly will allow the codes to be displayed in the odometer display - at least in earlier Ody's that was said to work. Anyone know if the 2011+ models are the same or is there a new body scan method? I have both a wired OBDII scanner as well as a Bluetooth plug in module. These both work great to display all the engine and emission codes, engine performance, fuel, etc... Problem is that both of these scan methods can not interrogate the body ECU codes. The heater module for the seats is a CAN bus compliant device and I was hoping there were some codes or diagnostics to let me know if the seat heater module was bad or if the AC control board with the switches up on the dash was the culprit. Hoping it's the seat controller as it looks a lot more affordable than the dash unit!

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
If you have the Honda MVCI and HDS, then use the SCS (Service Check Signal) function icon on the right side of the home screen.

If you don't have that equipment, you can activate the SCS function by shorting DLC (Data Link Connector) pin 9 (SCS line) to pin 4 (ground).

It should work as follows, or be similar, as I have used the Honda MVCI and HDS method on my 2008 Touring and the DTCs showed up on the MID and I was able to scroll through them:

The CEL will flash if a DTC is present or will not flash if no DTCs are present. The DTCs may be listed in the MID. You can scroll through them using the select/reset button.

Give it a try and let us know how it works on your 2011 Touring.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wire jumper got me this on the small odometer display:

SCS Service
TPMS DTC17

DTC = U1290
PA51

DTC = B2965
PA51

DTC = B1C61
PAA2

DTC = B1C68
PAA2

I did power the vehicle up and drove it with the heated seat controller disconnected. So I suspect some of these codes may be due to the missing module. Plugged everything in and then ran the scan and this is what shows up.

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
Wire jumper got me this on the small odometer display:

SCS Service
TPMS DTC17

DTC = U1290
PA51

DTC = B2965
PA51

DTC = B1C61
PAA2

DTC = B1C68
PAA2

I did power the vehicle up and drove it with the heated seat controller disconnected. So I suspect some of these codes may be due to the missing module. Plugged everything in and then ran the scan and this is what shows up.
TPMS DTC17: Tire Low Air Pressure

DTC U1290: Climate Control Unit Lost Communication With Seat Heater Control Unit

DTC B2965: Rear Communication Failure

DTC B1C61: Driver's Heater Current Abnormal Low

DTC B1C68: Driver's Heater Not Heating

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you don't have that equipment, you can activate the SCS function by shorting DLC (Data Link Connector) pin 9 (SCS line) to pin 4 (ground)... It should work as follows, or be similar, as I have used the Honda MVCI and HDS method on my 2008 Touring and the DTCs showed up on the MID and I was able to scroll through them
I have the 2008 EX-L and would like to do this. I am a bit lost regarding the pins. When looking at the DLC under the drivers-side dash, which pins are #9 and #4? Did you use a paperclip?

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does this actually work?

Looking to get the codes for a keyless smart entry error (can't be read from a standard OBD reader). Dealer wants $130 to read the code, don't have a HDS scanner either.

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Yes, it works. Turn the key off, jump the pins and then turn on the key. It's called jumping the SCS line

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, has anyone encountered the b 2965 code? My obd2 scanner says rear communication failure, but what does that mean?
Thanks

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
It means a loss of communication between the front HVAC control unit and the rear HVAC control unit. If it's working fine I'd clear the code and ignore it.

Are you chasing a symptom?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't have any check engine lights on or any issues, but from time to time do system checks with my obd2 reader and this code came up as well as a b2476. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary so I'm guessing it's just an error?? I'll erase them and see if they come back.
Thank you so much for the response!!

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
If all your HVAC systems are working fine then I wouldn't get too concerned. If you have HVAC issues then it's a starting point for diagnosis. I'd check to make sure the rear controls work and that you can control the rear from the front controls.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it's the rear I wouldn't know as im always driving, but will run the van and go in the back and see how it's all running. The ones who normally sit in the back are 2 and 5 so that would be why I haven't had any complaints lol
Thanks again!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Give them a couple years and that will change! My youngest is 16 now and driving so the van isn’t getting the workouts like it used to.

Interesting my seat heater issue just recently came back. Believe it’s the lower element again. Will try to tear into it as soon as the part arrives. Going to scan to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts