Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was preparing to order a B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler through Amazon.com and was curious if anyone has had issues with their B&M coolers as far as reliability, etc. I did a search but could not find any feedback on those who have had it installed for some time. Was hoping to get feedback on this or perhaps another brand is more reliable?

One other quick question. I have a Magnefine filter installed on the return line...will I need to relocate this somewhere else in order to install the cooler?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Note that a stacked plate doesn't let as much air through as a fin-and-plate. I just mounted a Hayden 676 finned plate cooler on my 98 Accord.

herrhaus (and others on this board) run a similarly constructed Long Tru-Cool LPD cooler (I think hh's is a LPD4544...big, well-made). Generally, the model numbers for the finned plate Tru-Cools are LPD45##, while the stacked plate units are LPD44##.

Either of these are better than the OEM finned drinking straw Honda used all the way up to 2006 (Honda switched to a neat little finned plate cooler in 2007).

Note that in the above link on the thirdgen.org website, the 5th post down the page is pretty good. His pics show finned plate coolers, but then he mentions using a stacked plate. He has the terminology a little mixed up (many people, including me, often give stacked plate and finned plate coolers the "stacked plate" name).

In order of effectiveness: finned tube (better than nothing), stacked plate (better), finned plate (best, like a radiator or condensor).

Since it's a new cooler you're installing, I think running the Magnefine outlet into the new cooler, and then plumbing the new cooler return back to the A/T would work A-OK.

The fluid flow order would be A/T ATF outlet line --> OE radiator in-tank ATF cooler --> Magnefine --> New stacked (or finned) plate cooler --> ATF return to A/T.

You can, of course, swap the position of the Magnefine and new cooler if the plumbing is easier. Either way keeps the returning ATF clean.

OF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts