Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the B127 code which from my research tells me I need to change engine oil & oil filter, air filter & cabin filter, and change brake fluid.

I've got an appointment already on Monday to change oil, do the rear outlet recall and jerky tranny TSB.

The air and cabin filter, I've purchased those on Amazon and will be doing those myself.

The brake fluid change is my primary concern. This 7 just recently got added to the B12, so it must have just triggered (I'm at 29.8k miles). From reading it seems like it's a 3 year or 30k miles maintenance item. Is that the case? How important is it to have it done? What are the potential consequences of not doing it?

Most importantly, should I get it done on Monday while it's at the Honda Dealership, or are they just going to try and charge me an exorbitant amount? Would this be a lot cheaper to do at a normal shop? This isn't some proprietary maintenance item that only Honda can do, right?

The only reason I'm even getting the oil change done at the dealership is because I'm going to be there anyway for the warranty work, and they sent me a coupon which brings it down to a normal price. I normally have it done elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Don't over-think it. Call ahead and get the dealer price if their cost concerns you, then call a trusted independent shop or two to get a comparison. Maybe give the dealer a chance to match or get close enough that it isn't worth the extra visit to another shop, or wait until your next oil change at the other shop to get the brake fluid done there. It's not like waiting a few months is going to cause any problems on an every 3 year type of service.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I used to work at a Honda dealership, so I still have a relationship with the service manager. A few weeks ago, I was there having recalls done on my ‘18. I asked him what they do for the brake fluid service.
All they do is suck out the fluid in the master cylinder, and refill it. They do not do a complete flush, as Honda now recommends against it.

Obviously so that your lines rust out, and you buy a new car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts