Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
I'm now looking at my next project to add a theater system to the van. I saw the Back Seat Theater by SeaHorse in the Tech section and it looks pretty good and less invasive to the van. Did anyone else install this in your van? Any instructions/tips to share? Thanks in advance.

------------------
'01 Starlight Silver EX
Totally Newbie now, but learning quick.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Mine should have come in today (along w/ the Poron system you installed) and I will probably install it pretty quickly as its quite simple. I'll let you know how it goes.

<table><tr><td>
</td><td width="20" img="http://demo.healthstream.com/content/challenge/images/clear.gif"></td><td><font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="1" color="#454545">Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (3300 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'Xenon Blue' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights
</font></td></tr></table>

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Update: The BST is backordered.
The autotoys order form didn't mention this though; guess I'll look at it again. I *did* get the Poron & tshirt & decal though..looks pretty cool

·
Registered
585 Posts
did you check their 'freebies' link before sending your order? There's all kinds of stuff you can get free from them if you remember to add them to your basket.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't get the T-shirt NOR the decal. I checked the freebies section though and all there was was a free plastic license frame with the word sound impression (or something like that). Is this new by the way.

NVRAM,
How much did you have to bay for the BST? Handa-Accessories has a package deal for Odyclub members where you can get the IVES, the Subwoofer and the In-dash 6-disk cd changer for a little over $1700. Take the cd changer & the sub out and you are paying around $1200 for the IVES alone. Which one is a better one to get in terms of values, installation simplicity, and usage? Thanks.

------------------
'01 Starlight Silver EX

·
Registered
585 Posts
The BST by far! You get:

- 2 speakers in the LCD flipdown itself which is also removeable
- 2 wireless headphones
- $595 at autotoys
- simple install; cut 2 holes (using bracket template provided), pull power from nearby dome light & connect brackets.

The end.

You're done except for attaching your VCP or DVD to the ac outlet & your RCA video & audio out to the transmitter. Going the autotoys route allows you to choose your own VCP or DVD or whatever since you can purchase the above unit without it. The price with the VCP is closer to $1k (according to the backseattheater.com website).

For $1200 you get iVES w/ VCP and fm modulator plus the OEM look. You lose your center bin (which I personally love because I keep my handy micro-fibers & chewing gum there) and still have to pay for an install which will require the headliner to be pulled off & wires ran through your vehicle if you want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hit the 'coupons' link on the main 'store' page; here's an example:

Click to see more details, get one of our AUTOTOYS.COM decals for FREE!!!!

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/3b8fe7d906d9dfac274cd8f5a5060716/Product/View/FREE&20DECAL&20COUPON&2D5

$10.00 discount on purchases $150.00 or more, valid for new customers only and for FIRST purchase only. Discount will be subtracted when card is billed. Valid with orders over $150.00 only and for PAYPAL payments only.

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/3b8fe7d906d9dfac274cd8f5a5060716/Product/View/NEWCUSTOMERPROMO

Free autotoys.com t-shirt. VALID ONLY with purchases of $500.00 or more. This coupon must be inside basket at time of purchase. Online credit card orders only, void where prohibited.

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/3b8fe7d906d9dfac274cd8f5a5060716/Product/View/FREETSHIRT

and don't forget the free shipping for odyclub members & the waived $5 handling fee for paypal transactions...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for providing tips/inputs.

------------------
'01 Starlight Silver EX

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nyvram -

Which one are you looking at at Autotoys? I can't find the one you're talking about.

Thanks,
Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Hit the 'coupons' link on the main 'store' page; here's an example:

Click to see more details, get one of our AUTOTOYS.COM decals for FREE!!!!

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storef ront/3b8fe7d906d9dfac274cd8f5a5060716/Product/View/FREE&20DECAL&20COUPON&2D5

$10.00 discount on purchases $150.00 or more, valid for new customers only and for FIRST purchase only. Discount will be subtracted when card is billed. Valid with orders over $150.00 only and for PAYPAL payments only.

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/3b8f e7d906d9dfac274cd8f5a5060716/Product/View/NEWCUSTOMERPROMO

Free autotoys.com t-shirt. VALID ONLY with purchases of $500.00 or more. This coupon must be inside basket at time of purchase. Online credit card orders only, void where prohibited.

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/3b8fe7d906 d9dfac274cd8f5a5060716/Product/View/FREETSHIRT

and don't forget the free shipping for odyclub members & the waived $5 handling fee for paypal transactions...
</font>
I just wanted to add those links above wont work since they are active page links.. Here they are adjusted regular entrance.

They are also located in the COUPON department.

In addition to this, if you search under 'honda odyssey' you will receive a link for FREE shipping over $100.00 for members of this site, INCLUDING the $5.00 handling fee for paypal orders. If you pay via paypal, the $5.00 will be refunded if you use that coupon.

Correct links below

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/EN/Product/FREE&20DECAL&20COUP ON&2D5

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/EN/Product/NEWCUSTOMERPROMO

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/EN/Product/FREETSHIRT

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
564 Posts
Marvyn -

Well shoot. The link didn't work, but I did manage to find it by searching for terms IN the link.

I like EVERYTHING about this system except that the screen is 4x3 instead of 16x9. I will only be watching DVDs, and I HATE full-screen. Nothing is ever easy...

Anybody know if these guys make a 16x9?

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 V70 T5 - White w/ graphite leather

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
148 Posts
There will be options to integrate wireless options (wireless and audio) much like the backseat theater which will be a separate accessory in the next week or so. I cannot give any specific details, but I can tell you this option will be under $40.00 and will work off 12 volts. This means all you have to do is pick a flip down monitor, 12 volt, hook it up to a domelight, hook up the wireless receiver to it (video and audio), put your dvd or vcd under the seat and it will transmit everything wireless. This will make things 'very easy'

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes, but consider what you get w/ traveltheater vs. this solution. A non-integrated solution that may or may not do what you want.

Specifically:

traveltheater 6.8" LCD flipdown contains:
- infrared transmitter for wireless headphones (LOS)
- 2 speakers (stereo)
- 2.4 ghz reciever for transmitter
- channel selector for signal (4 channels to select from)

All of this is integrated within the LCD casing itself.

With the transmitter-reciever solution toyman mentioned above you will still have the following issues to consider:

- speakers. Do you want sound from LCD? If so you'll have to install speakers in the drop down unit or route the sound to the car via fm modulator
- installation. Where does the reciever unit go? Is there room in the lcd housing? Or will you have to find some way to hide it? Don't forget if you want to switch channels you'll have to install it in such a way that you'll still have access to the channel selector on the reciever.
- audio out. Most flipdown LCDs have this but not all of them do so you'll need to ensure the audio transmitted from the base will output through the infrared transmitter on the LCD unit.
- integrated. The traveltheater was engineered & tested to work together and gives you 4 channels to look for the optimum signal.
- support. traveltheater is single item and as such if any component doesn't work you can call them & have it replaced.

The reason I know all of this is I checked w/ Mobile Authority Audio a month or so ago regarding this very solution (they've got the transmitter/reciever package for roughly $40) but after speaking at length with the tech guy (his AOL IM account is 'MAaudiojoe' and this is public knowledge AFAIK) I decided the potential for headaches outweighed the slight price savings I would incur.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth...

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
Marvyn -

The one clear advantage I see of a seperate component is that I could use it with a WIDESCREEN...but I guess I've made that point enough

You make excellent points in your post, and at the same time, I definitely see a need for this wireless option. May be just the ticket for me. I'm not looking at this in terms of price, but in terms of installing the widescreen that I so badly want.

Toyman - Do you foresee a Back Seat Theater system with an incorporated Widescreen happening?

- Darell

------------------

·
Registered
585 Posts
Give TMI a buzz.
Their phone # is under Seahorse's installation in the 'tech' section.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thank you sir, excellent idea.

Just to save somebody else the trip to the Tech dept:
CUSTOMER SERVICE: (800) 624-7960
(909) 272-1996 • Fax (909) 272-1584

Just called, and there is nothing in the works for widescreen
Can you believe that the woman I spoke with laughed and said I wouldn't notice if it was full-screen or widescreen while I was driving anyway ????!

- Darell

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
Marvyn -

The one clear advantage I see of a seperate component is that I could use it with a WIDESCREEN...but I guess I've made that point enough

You make excellent points in your post, and at the same time, I definitely see a need for this wireless option. May be just the ticket for me. I'm not looking at this in terms of price, but in terms of installing the widescreen that I so badly want.

Toyman - Do you foresee a Back Seat Theater system with an incorporated Widescreen happening?

- Darell

</font>
I am sure if there is enough demand, there will be a wide screen version introduced. But I believe the unit available now from TMI may be constrained by space.

I personally have a PIONEER DVD Navigation AVIC 9 in my Lexus GS400, forever reason, my wife switches it out of widescreen into full display mode when we are watching DVDs in the car (go figure) --

------------------

Here to help

1 - 20 of 20 Posts