Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a back up camera under the third brake light? It seems easy to install there but not sure if if the light housing would be in the way.

Also I'm not sure about the view. Seems like it would be towering over the bumper and what little depth perception would be lost.

Seems like it would be less obvious there but haven't seen any threads showing it mounted there.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Has anyone mounted a back up camera under the third brake light? It seems easy to install there but not sure if if the light housing would be in the way.

Also I'm not sure about the view. Seems like it would be towering over the bumper and what little depth perception would be lost.

Seems like it would be less obvious there but haven't seen any threads showing it mounted there.
Do not have one but the factory location is above the license plate, I think. Keep in mind that these cameras are very wide angle, so things at the bumper's distance will appear VERY small.

Nicolas

·
Registered
105 Posts
I installed my back-up camera under the third brake light inside the car. This way neither rain/snow/dirt can obscure the lens and a quick wipe with the rear wiper clears the glass so I can see out. :)

If you want I can post pics tomorrow so you can see....

·
Registered
513 Posts
I installed my back-up camera under the third brake light inside the car. This way neither rain/snow/dirt can obscure the lens and a quick wipe with the rear wiper clears the glass so I can see out. :)

If you want I can post pics tomorrow so you can see....
Once again, experience trumps theory! :)

Is the image clear and big enough on the LCD?

Nicolas

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, pictures would be great! Curious how that works through the tinted glass. I'm also curious about the view. I like the idea of it mounted up there (and better inside), but worried it's too much of a bird's eye view. But, rear cams have never been good at providing depth perception. Who knows, maybe higher is better?

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is what it looks from the inside, it is a camera that is suppose to be mounted on the liscense plate but I did not want that look. This way it never gets weathered and the lens is always clean.

Outside view showing where the wiper passes and keeps the viewing angle clean. I was surprised the picture shows the camera as I can barely see throught the window and notice the back-up camera there. The car's windows are tinted.

....and since the Ody has so many compartments to keep my sunglasses I figured this was just right for the screen. I had to modify/cut some plastic out of the map light/sunglass holder unit and it actually closes with the screen in there.

The battery of the camera died after these shots. I will post some pics tomorrow with the screen on to show you what I see.
Power is fed to the camera and screen from the rear power outlet of the car and is always on. For long trips I just shut off the monitor...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sold! I bought the Boyo VTL422C. So the tint doesn't cause problems on the monitor end. No reflections at night or dim during the day?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The brand is VR3
VRBCS335W - Wired/Wireless Back-up Camera System

No problem with the tints, and no relfections at all. The only issue I have is that it does not have night vision. But the Ody's back-up lamps provide enough light to luminate the area so the camera picks it up.

I installed it three years ago and have no probelms with it. It is a wireless camera but I chose to not use the wireless as the image was distorted. The one wire you see connected to the monitor in the above post provides the 12V power and the video. Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome. Thanks so much for paving the way here. I installed my head unit this evening and I'll do the camera when it comes it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can also consider cameras that mount in place of one of your license plate lights. The camera itself has a pair of LED's for the plate light so you don't lose one of them and it looks pretty close to OEM.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A few more pics so you can get an idea of what i see. I know that when the bumper of the other car reaches the end of the screen I'm good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts