Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

First, the long story. We have a 2005 EX-L close to L.A. that has 66,000 miles (mostly city running) on it. Anyway, decided to our first trip to Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Replaced the nearly worn-out Yokohama TRZ’s with Goodyear Comfortred Touring tires in preparation. In Vegas the steering started shaking pretty hard when breaking. Had the dealer there replace the pads and resurface. Thought that was the end of repairs.
After returning home, the A/C stopped working. Luckily the temperature is in the 90’s or less (not the usual above 100 that we get). Dealer says that the compressor has seized, and needs to be replaced. Luckily, we have a HondaCare warranty, and would be covered. The problem is that it is on a national backorder, and at the moment it is estimated to be available in 30 days.

Looking for some suggestions. I did call a couple of other dealers to see if they have any in stock, and they do not. I see a couple of online places that do have it in stock, but they are not Honda Dealers. Would HondaCare reimburse if I buy it, and would the dealer install it for me.
Normally would not be an issue. But, have small kids, including a 1-year old. So, the A/C is needed if the temperatures go to their normal levels. I guess the “long” trip did it. 

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Emil

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi cnn!

Thanks for the response. I am an IT person, so most of it sounded "greek" to me. :)

Considering that it is going to be covered by the extended warranty (and not considering whether it is Summer or not), should I get the compressor and parts replaced or should I push to have them take a look at the AC Stator?

Thanks,

Emil

Make sure you get a 2nd opinion.

Most of the time, the AC Stator goes out:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/93901-05-compressor-clutch-troubleshooting.html

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Since you have HondaCare, ask for a rental till they can make it right for you. You might have to call HondaCare and deal with 'em in addition to the dealer but HondaCare includes a car rental for issues that require multiple days to fix and since its summer, I would think you're well within your rights to ask for a rental car as its not your fault that the compressors are on national back order. Besides, if they're paying for your rental, it would put you at the top of their back order list to get the replacement as the longer they have to pay for that rental, the more loss they incur. I would ask the dealer for a rental and I am sure he'll say no and then I'd call HondaCare and plead your case there including the you have a 1 year old bit. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dvpatel,

I will give HondaCare a call today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Emil

Since you have HondaCare, ask for a rental till they can make it right for you. You might have to call HondaCare and deal with 'em in addition to the dealer but HondaCare includes a car rental for issues that require multiple days to fix and since its summer, I would think you're well within your rights to ask for a rental car as its not your fault that the compressors are on national back order. Besides, if they're paying for your rental, it would put you at the top of their back order list to get the replacement as the longer they have to pay for that rental, the more loss they incur. I would ask the dealer for a rental and I am sure he'll say no and then I'd call HondaCare and plead your case there including the you have a 1 year old bit. :)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
If you google "How AC Compressor Clutch works", you will see that:

- AC Stator is basically a strong magnet, energized ONLY when you hit the AC button (or Vent setting at Windshield etc.).
- This will in turn PULL IN the AC Clutch.
- Now the AC Clutch mates with the AC Compressor Pulley,
- Now the AC Compressor runs.

So:
1. Bad Stator ---> No AC
2. Bad AC Clutch---> No AC
3. Bad AC Compressor ---> No AC

So on.

Trouble-shooting any AC system requires specialized skills, tools.
Best is to let HondaCare take care of it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks cnn.

If you google "How AC Compressor Clutch works", you will see that:

- AC Stator is basically a strong magnet, energized ONLY when you hit the AC button (or Vent setting at Windshield etc.).
- This will in turn PULL IN the AC Clutch.
- Now the AC Clutch mates with the AC Compressor Pulley,
- Now the AC Compressor runs.

So:
1. Bad Stator ---> No AC
2. Bad AC Clutch---> No AC
3. Bad AC Compressor ---> No AC

So on.

Trouble-shooting any AC system requires specialized skills, tools.
Best is to let HondaCare take care of it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would probably be divorced if I told my wife she would need to wait the rest of the summer to get AC working in the van. I would install a used compressor in the mean time and let them replace it with new when available.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A Quick Update

Hello!

A quick update. As adviced by dvpatel, I contacted HondaCare Customer Service. They looked up the VIN, and saw the request for the part, but nothing was mentioned to them about a rental by the dealerships service advisor. They asked me to ask the dealer to call and they will figure something out about the rental. They said that at the moment the request is for a refurbished part, and if it is cost effective (depending on how long the backorder is for), they may just approve a new part.

The Service Advisor is calling them right now.

Thanks dvpatel!

Regards,

Emil

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am more worried about the 1-year-old cooking, than the other kids (6 and 8) or the wife. :)

I would probably be divorced if I told my wife she would need to wait the rest of the summer to get AC working in the van. I would install a used compressor in the mean time and let them replace it with new when available.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Hello!

A quick update. As adviced by dvpatel, I contacted HondaCare Customer Service. They looked up the VIN, and saw the request for the part, but nothing was mentioned to them about a rental by the dealerships service advisor. They asked me to ask the dealer to call and they will figure something out about the rental. They said that at the moment the request is for a refurbished part, and if it is cost effective (depending on how long the backorder is for), they may just approve a new part.

The Service Advisor is calling them right now.

Thanks dvpatel!

Regards,

Emil
:cheers:

Keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello!

Just a quick update. HondaCare approved a new compressor yesterday, and it is suppose to be in at the dealer this morning, and installed today. I was given a rental car in the meantime. They are doing the power steering pump swap (under the Honda warranty extension), as the one that was installed last year was starting to leak.

I purchased the HondaCare for near cost (I think about $800). It has already paid for a steering column replacement (horn was hard to use), front motor mount (vibration at 1500 RPM), rear motor mount (vibration again at 1500 RPM), this compressor, and others that I don't remember.

Thanks again,

Emil

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Hello!

Just a quick update. HondaCare approved a new compressor yesterday, and it is suppose to be in at the dealer this morning, and installed today. I was given a rental car in the meantime. They are doing the power steering pump swap (under the Honda warranty extension), as the one that was installed last year was starting to leak.

I purchased the HondaCare for near cost (I think about $800). It has already paid for a steering column replacement (horn was hard to use), front motor mount (vibration at 1500 RPM), rear motor mount (vibration again at 1500 RPM), this compressor, and others that I don't remember.

Thanks again,

Emil
Great. Glad they stepped up to the plate.

Should I send you my paypal address for the tip you'd like to give me. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts