Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 2009 Touring but the owner said the backup camera didn't work. He was right. I've been trying to read up on possible causes. Since it shares a screen with the navigation and the navigation gives an error message and also does not work could the 2 issues be connected?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am no expert on this but the navigation system has a self diagnostic mode that could help you isolate the problem. Start by going into the diagnostic menu by holding Map guide, Cancel, Menu button together for a few seconds. There is a self diagnostic mode in there where it checks all the navi/radio systems, including the backup camera. Let us know what you see, good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am no expert on this but the navigation system has a self diagnostic mode that could help you isolate the problem. Start by going into the diagnostic menu by holding Map guide, Cancel, Menu button together for a few seconds. There is a self diagnostic mode in there where it checks all the navi/radio systems, including the backup camera. Let us know what you see, good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I tried it, and it pulled up a diagnostic screen. When I hit Navigation, I got a couple of really loud beeps and it showed a diagram of what appears to be the functions of the nav system. One was back up camera, and it was in red; the other functions were in green. The download screen did not stop downloading for the time I was in the car. I pulled the DVD and checked the version. I noticed there is a slot for a card, but there was nothing in it. When I start the van the error message says an older version of the DVD is being used. My version is 4.73.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I tried it, and it pulled up a diagnostic screen. When I hit Navigation, I got a couple of really loud beeps and it showed a diagram of what appears to be the functions of the nav system. One was back up camera, and it was in red; the other functions were in green. The download screen did not stop downloading for the time I was in the car. I pulled the DVD and checked the version. I noticed there is a slot for a card, but there was nothing in it. When I start the van the error message says an older version of the DVD is being used. My version is 4.73.
Sorry, I forgot to warn you about the loud beeps. From what you described, it seems to me that the backup camera issue and the Navi error are 2 separate issues.

From what I know, once you put in a new map DVD in the disk drive, the system will no longer function with the original map disk. This seems like a case where someone swapped in an old map DVD. Maybe you can contact the last owner about this issue. Also, no card in the slot is normal,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks very much for the info. It has a salvage title from being rear ended. The previous owner replaced the liftgate with one not from a Touring model. He took everything out of the damaged door and gave it to me, but this liftgate does have a camera already installed. Of course, without the proper DVD the camera wouldn't work anyway. I've checked the DVD prices and got my feelings hurt. I do miss the camera, though.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,197 Posts
The new navigation discs perform a software update, you can't put the old disc back in. Honda sometimes runs specials for $99 for a new navigation disc... not too expensive, but not cheap either :(

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
You can find nav discs on eBay. The trick is knowing what disc it was updated to last.

The camera on the other models is the same as the Touring but I'd check the wiring from the repair. Sounds like it could be as simple as not being hooked up correctly.

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! I wonder how I might get on a Honda sales notification list, or should I just check periodically? It would be worth $100 to get things working. I'll try to check the wiring this weekend. I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Once you are in "diagnostic" mode, you can press "Version" to see what version of the firmware is installed vs. what version the disc is.
There should be "download" button there which should allow you to "downgrade" to the version from the disc.
Maybe the disc is bad. On ebay, my understanding is that older versions of the disc is relatively cheap so maybe you can look into that.
Since downgrade is possible, maybe you don't have to worry about the version too much and just get a cheapest one you can live with.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,197 Posts
This is the first I've heard of a downgrade being available. I thought it wasn't that simple...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the first I've heard of a downgrade being available. I thought it wasn't that simple...
Finally got around to playing with the diagnostic mode again. I was able to update the system so the navigation works! I haven't had time to play with it yet, but the backup camera still isn't working. I think it's true there may be some wiring issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts