Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious how you solved the problem of installing a backup camera given the massive liftgate. there is the issue of fishing the wire and also installing the camera. There is no predrilled hole and I am hesitant to drill a hole in the body panel.

I have the 2003 EXL NAV, since installed a Alpine ILX-F309 and plan to pipe the video into the Alpine unit, not the OEM NAV screen.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I don't like them, but there are wireless camera/receiver options on the market for around the same price as hardwired ones. If drilling holes is a deal-breaker, that may be your best option.

Sounds like you've already settled on a "license plate mounted" style camera, which would require drilling through the rear hatch, and ideally behind the license plate (hidden wires) or UP to the underside of the lip where the Honda H badge is (weather/rain protection).

You could also go the "bumper mounted" style where you drill a hole in the bumper and you'd have a ton of other wire routing options available, and not have to worry about the hinge-point. Most of the license plate style cameras can be removed from the bracket and used in the bumper, or elsewhere too.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I mounted mine above the license plate, ran the wire through existing taillight hole and routing the wire down the foam gasket. Fishing the wire through the rubber boot with all the other wires was a pain, worse than fishing it across the headliner. Couple dabs of clear silicone caulk keeps the wire in place above the license.

Reactions: xsnail

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
ran the wire through existing taillight hole
Good suggestion. Also, the license plate lights may be another option.

Any way you runt the wire (existing holes, or drilled) sealing with a grommet it is the key to keep from intaking water and starting internal rust issues from the inside-out.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mounted mine above the license plate, ran the wire through existing taillight hole and routing the wire down the foam gasket. Fishing the wire through the rubber boot with all the other wires was a pain, worse than fishing it across the headliner. Couple dabs of clear silicone caulk keeps the wire in place above the license.
Could you post a photo of the camera and wiring as it appears from the outside. ? how did you hide the wires?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
My dashcam is a mirror mount. All of my cable is above the headliner. I started by removing the map light housing and positioned the wire to the dashcam. Then by the driver door pulled down the upper trim and fed the cable across the headliner. Opened the sliding door and pulled down the trim, routed the cable to there. The next challenge was routing the cable to the tailgate. I pulled out the left passenger light & vent and managed to pull the cable across from the sliding door. Then a fish tape from the tailgate (pulled down the left pillar trim) pulled the wire to that location.
As I said earlier, pulling the camera cable through the rubber boot at the left hinge was the hardest. But with patience I got it done with a wire coat hanger and tape. Once I had the camera mounted above the license plate, buttoned up the tailgate and left the excess cable behind the rear left pillar. Only took an hour or two for the three of us to do this! (Me, myself and I):ROFLMAO:
Here's a picture of the external wiring, the lighting was horrible today. :( Wire goes through an existing hole for a taillight bulb, down the felt gasket and then up to the top of the tail light and across. Kind of like a plumbing p-trap so that water will not enter the tailgate. Then some dabs of silicon to hold it in place past the tail light housing. Camera is mounted just left of the license plate lamp.
Automotive exterior Font Gas Bumper Motor vehicle

I considered running the wire in the gap above the tail light and pull it through the license plate lamp, but since it's hidden until you look under I figured 'a little dab'll do ya!':ROFLMAO: (very old Brylcreem ad reference!)

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Could you post a photo of the camera and wiring as it appears from the outside. ? how did you hide the wires?
I'm considering purchasing a touchscreen head unit and camera similar to what you're talking about in this topic. Probably in the near future. If so, I'll take pictures for you.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Looking at cameras and trying to plan how I want to go about it has helped narrow down the style of camera and mounting options.

I'm leaning towards staying away from this boxy style:

And leaning towards this circular style:

Reason being is the circular one can be removed from the bracket and easily mounted directly into any panel with a single hole using a christmas tree bit and the wires will already be internal to that panel. Could easily mount it to the bumper/hatch/spoiler and has the back side to thread back in and tighten it down in-place with.

Then there's the specific "flush mount" circular style which may be a better option specifically for bumper-mounted:

Possibly one like this may be a good option speficially for the underside of the upper spoiler:

And I'm also tossing around the idea of specifically mounting to the underside of the upper spoiler with a "made-to-fit" option for another vehicle and make it fit the spoiler instead. Something like one of these (not necessarily these specifically):

And playing off of the idea @Realism22 just posted, one of these (painted to match) would do the trick:

So back to @rman 's original question about mounting the camera and running wires, it will depend entirely on your camera and how/where you want it mounted. Running the wires is just part of the process regardless of camera and location choice, so don't let that be the determining factor. Pick where you want it, then pick the best camera for that spot.
Then we can help you with the best options/practices for wire routing. (y)

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
@rman - you posted this topic in the 99-04 section, so here's one that is a direct swap replacement for one of the license plate light covers:
&

Wouldn't work for me and the plans for my Ody, but may suit your needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts