Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member here. Going to buy a minivan soon; leaning towards the 2011 Odyssey.

(1) Is the backup camera available on the EX-L _without_ NAV or RES?
(2) How easy is it to install an aftermarket backup camera? And how klunky is the resulting setup?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Welcome to Odyclub dh37. Since you are new here, I'm going to give you a word of advice that the moderator dvpatel normally gives. Do a search before starting a new thread. Often, your questions and inquiries have already been asked and discussed.

Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - Announcements in Forum : 2011 + Odyssey

Anyway, this thread should answer your questions regarding the back-up camera:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/148872-different-backup-camera-modes.html

And since it appears the the EX-L does come with a back-up camera, there is no need to install a back-up camera. However, you might be interested in adding rear sensors:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/149720-should-i-add-backup-sensors-ex-l-res.html

;)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
(1) Is the backup camera available on the EX-L _without_ NAV or RES?
Yes, the Honda site specs are very unclear, but if you check the PDF brochure somewhere, it tells you so:

EX-L and above models feature a rear camera with guidelines. It not only helps you see what’s behind you, but also helps when backing into tight spaces. On navigation-equipped models, a multi-view rear camera offers three views: normal, wide and straight down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yup, the EX-L comes with a back-up camera. It only has "normal" view, which I find perfectly sufficient.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Welcome to Odyclub dh37. Since you are new here, I'm going to give you a word of advice that the moderator dvpatel normally gives. Do a search before starting a new thread. Often, your questions and inquiries have already been asked and discussed.

Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - Announcements in Forum : 2011 + Odyssey
;)
Great advice. I normally do not post the please search in reply to a first post on the forum by a new comer (unless I am in a really bad mood) but I can always use a helping hand of folks like you who help us direct the nubies to search.

I normally give 'em a couple of strikes before I bring out the search gun.
;)

If they all at least read the stickies and announcements before posting new threads, I'd be in heaven. LOL.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The back-up camera is one of those items I would have scoffed in the past. Now it'll be a must have (if available) on future vehicles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The back-up camera is one of those items I would have scoffed in the past. Now it'll be a must have (if available) on future vehicles.
I wasn't a scoffer. Every accident I have ever had that was my fault (except for one in high school), and a few accidents that were not my fault would likely never have happened if backup cameras were universally available. Also, with the recent trend to reduce visibility out the vehicle (including the 2011 Odyssey), they are becoming even more important. Yes, they are must-haves.

jrs

·
Registered
170 Posts
i scoffed at the need for one originally (so did my wife), but it makes parking in my garage so much easier (being able to target distances) that I'm not sure what it would be like to drive something this size without one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yup, the EX-L comes with a back-up camera. It only has "normal" view, which I find perfectly sufficient.
My wife and I use the Wide Mode Exclusively. It distorts the video but being able to see the side really helps when pulling out of a parking spot and you can see cars or people approaching the vehicle. Using Normal mode, you see what's instantly behind you but don't know if someone is approaching unless you turn actually around (which is what you SHOULD DO int he first place). But sometimes when it's dark, it's difficult to see anything and the wide camera angles help aid in ensuring it is all clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts