Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that can be done to make the backup lights MUCH brighter? I have friends with long driveway (and no place to turn around) and it is a bear to back down the whole way. This happens all the time and in other places. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
I purchased a Pilot PL-250 backup light kit to mount to my trailer hitch. It's a pair of brackets with a small pair of floodlights. Each one has a 55W H3 bulb. It includes an inline fuse, as well. You can get these at AutoZone.

The heat rejecting glass on the Ody is wonderful, but it can sure be dark in an unlit parking lot, or backing down a long unlit driveway.

I still have to get a relay and a momentary pushbutton switch for the wiring. I'm rigging it so that once in reverse, I can depress the pushbutton to energize the relay coil, which will close the relay to power the lights.

Once I shift out of reverse, the relay will de-energize, and those backup floodlights will extinguish. No chance of accidentally actuating them while moving forward.

OF

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't have a hitch, so I just put LEDs with the highest lumens output I could find. Cost around $20 on amazon, just recently installed, so I'm "testing" for longevity... but so far, they're bright as heck! Also installed some in my legacy wagon, since I put 5% tint

·
Registered
727 Posts
Posters who added LED lights. Did you just replace the original Honda bulbs? Or did your fix require "special" wiring? Thanks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Simple question. Checked out Amazon. Auxbeam T20-7440. LED Reverse light. $ 14.99. Will it fit a 2001 Odyssey? Many positive reviews.

Seems Auxbeam, is not sold at Walmart, Pepboys, Oreilly. Only directly from MFG. or Amazon.

Anyone have experience with their products? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Simple question. Checked out Amazon. Auxbeam T20-7440. LED Reverse light. $ 14.99. Will it fit a 2001 Odyssey? Many positive reviews.

Seems Auxbeam, is not sold at Walmart, Pepboys, Oreilly. Only directly from MFG. or Amazon.

It took me about 5 minutes to install them in my 2005 on March 29, they are still working, I'm very pleased with the result and they are Friggin bright. (kinda why I posted the link to them) :)

If the 2001 takes a 7440 bulb then they should work. Will the 01 have to have a load resister on them, that I don't know, 05 plug right in. They are a lot longer than a regular bulb though.

·
Registered
727 Posts

Update: 2001 Odyssey. Purchased these on Amazon. Simple install. No resister needed. Very bright.
Trying to figure out, if I can buy similar lights for the "rear turn signal" OEM incandescent not very bright.
Not sure if mfg, have built in the "needed resister".

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
i have tried blinker led, they blink 2 times faster unless you swap the stock blinker relay for the upgraded led relay, the led also werent much brighter in the blinker housings, orange color maybe

·
Registered
37 Posts
You could add switchback leds to the rear turn signals, and tap the white to reverse.
As well as add leds reverse bulbs
7440 (white, reverse)
7443 (switchback, turn/reverse)
The socket for your current turn signal will not work, you would need a 3 pin brake light socket i think.

This completely depends on your level of capability.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Its possible to use a "plug and play" resistor setup, and it will come with a socket that should work, then you can tap the resistor harness... instead of the car harness

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I thought about doing a mod for reverse lights a while back and considered adding an LED fog light or LED driving light in the rear bumper and tapping into the reverse circuit along with a relay so they will turn on when I shift into reverse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts