Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share this experience:

Yesterday I saw for the first time my charging system light turn on (battery light). It started coming on and going off intermittently then finally stayed on. I have a voltage meter plugged into a cigarette outlet so I could watch for problems. The voltage which was normally 13.5v at the outlet and 14v at the terminals started going below 12v. When the light finally stayed on a meter at the battery terminals confirmed I was running only on battery. I ran to the local AutoZone and bought a Duralast reman. It was a pain to install as others have noted on this forum and more expensive than a reman Denso.

Worked that night but only made 13.8v at the terminals. Next day I took a drive to work and noticed the battery light coming on again intermittently. Went to the AutoZone and asked if I could return it so I could buy a Denso. They let me know that once it was installed all I could do is keep returning it until I got a good one. That’s what I wanted to warn people of. Now I am stuck with a Duralast. Hopefully one will work. Still have to wait for them to get a new one in...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Damn I replaced mine with a duralast in December, it's still doing its thing, but I replaced the belt tensioner a bit after.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I will get lucky next time I install one. I am curious if you’ve ever measured the voltage at the terminals while the van is running and while it is not. I get about 13v when my battery is charged van off, and 13.8v while the van is idling. Another thing that I noticed when I removed the old one is that it had the same exact part number of the Duralast I installed. Apparently the previous owner went through the same thing. The first lasted 25k miles at least so maybe I am stressed for no reason.

Is 13v right for a charged battery? I keep seeing 12.6v when I look it up online...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Sorry you are having this problem. It’s fairly common knowledge for those that frequent this forum that the only alternator that seems to work well on the Odyssey is a Denso brand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe I will get lucky next time I install one. I am curious if you’ve ever measured the voltage at the terminals while the van is running and while it is not. I get about 13v when my battery is charged van off, and 13.8v while the van is idling. Another thing that I noticed when I removed the old one is that it had the same exact part number of the Duralast I installed. Apparently the previous owner went through the same thing. The first lasted 25k miles at least so maybe I am stressed for no reason.

Is 13v right for a charged battery? I keep seeing 12.6v when I look it up online...
I'll truly to measure them today, but yea before I replaced the alternator and the diodes in it were bad. I mean maybe I got a good one everything working fine other then my check engine light on due to I'm assuming a bad fuel ratio sensor.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
First, ask the store to test the alternator before you take it home.

Then it could be:

1. Loose accessory belt, or bad tensioner.

2. No signal from the car's computer to the alternator to charge.

3. Bad 'electronic load detector' which lets the computer know what the electrical load is.

Things are not always simple.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
OP, I am not sure you talked to the right person at AutoZone. You can absolutely return non functioning part, even after you install it. How else would you know if it does not work? I had similar unfortunate experience with Alternator I installed on a Volvo XC70. The alternator was dead in box, did not work at all. Back to the store it went. Replaced it with a proper Bosch unit and no issues since.
Return does have to comply with policies, ie, certain number of days from the purchase and return in the original box, etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thi
OP, I am not sure you talked to the right person at AutoZone. You can absolutely return non functioning part, even after you install it. How else would you know if it does not work? I had similar unfortunate experience with Alternator I installed on a Volvo XC70. The alternator was dead in box, did not work at all. Back to the store it went. Replaced it with a proper Bosch unit and no issues since.
Return does have to comply with policies, ie, certain number of days from the purchase and return in the original box, etc.
He can only return it for another duralast till the warranty is done, I believe I'm on that same boat, if my alternator takes a dump on me ima return it to autozone and get another duralast till my 3 year warranty is over.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I thi

He can only return it for another duralast till the warranty is done, I believe I'm on that same boat, if my alternator takes a dump on me ima return it to autozone and get another duralast till my 3 year warranty is over.
Not only do you seem to not understand what I wrote, you are also giving out the wrong information.

Refer to this link:
All Duralast alternators come with limited lifetime warranty, and trust me, it will be very useful, because you will be swapping these bad boys out until you get tired of the task.

If you bought a defective alternator from Autozone, meaning it either did not work at all, like my case, or broke in few days, like OP case, go back to Autozone, ask for manager if you have to and return this POS alternator for your money back.
If you are fortunate enough that your alternator lasted a year, then yes, you will not be able to get your money back and only recourse is to keep exchanging them.
However that is not what OP described and that is why I commented in the first place.

OP, go back and get your money.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not only do you seem to not understand what I wrote, you are also giving out the wrong information.

Refer to this link:
All Duralast alternators come with limited lifetime warranty, and trust me, it will be very useful, because you will be swapping these bad boys out until you get tired of the task.

If you bought a defective alternator from Autozone, meaning it either did not work at all, like my case, or broke in few days, like OP case, go back to Autozone, ask for manager if you have to and return this POS alternator for your money back.
If you are fortunate enough that your alternator lasted a year, then yes, you will not be able to get your money back and only recourse is to keep exchanging them.
However that is not what OP described and that is why I commented in the first place.

OP, go back and get your money.
I am not sure if state warranty laws override this but it has been longstanding custom in the industry that electrical parts cannot be returned for a refund, only exchange for identical part if defective.
If you could put an alternator or starter on a car, drive around for any time whatsoever, then take it back for refund, that is news to me.
In fact used to be no electrical part could be returned for an exchange even.
Autozone has the worst replacement parts. I almost want to buy a denso rebuilt online and hang onto it until mine fails so I wont be forced to buy a crappy one just because its local.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If you could put an alternator or starter on a car, drive around for any time whatsoever, then take it back for refund, that is news to me.
That is not what I said at all. I said if you buy a part that is defective, and its immediately clear. Not sure why its so hard to comprehend my writing today.

For the last time:
I got an autozone alternator that was dead in the box (I would say this is identical to the OP case), I called the store and asked if I can return it. They said yes.
The alternator was returned for money back, not store credit, not exchanged. This happened June of 2019.
Perhaps state consumer protection laws are different in CT than other states.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I looked at their return policy.

Does not specifically exclude alternators or other electrical parts. It does say some parts are not returnable.
It also says this:

"Requests for refunds may be denied if the item has been used or installed."

Does that mean if its defective? Not sure. You can try but that means taking it off the car for a maybe.
Its a dilemma. "Reason for return. We all know your bottom drawer low quality part is gonna fail now that I realize this I would like to instead buy what I wish I did in the first place."
Sounds fair to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is not what I said at all. I said if you buy a part that is defective, and its immediately clear. Not sure why its so hard to comprehend my writing today.

For the last time:
I got an autozone alternator that was dead in the box (I would say this is identical to the OP case), I called the store and asked if I can return it. They said yes.
The alternator was returned for money back, not store credit, not exchanged. This happened June of 2019.
Yea I got u know, man well that's good that u got ur money back.
Yea I kinda regret the duralast one.
I mean it's doing its job I guess so I cant bash on em too much. But I prefer to go OEM but hey you know life happens.

·
Registered
250 Posts

For the last time:
Okay but you wouldnt know its "dead in the box" unless you install it. This is a grey area.
Im not trying to be argumentive or play Im right youre wrong(rare for me) but as I said this becomes a grey area and probably depends on the words one uses in the store as well as the attitude of the manager.

If you took it back and said "its dead in the box" I think that might fly.
However if the manager or cashier asks how you knew it was defective well that gives them an out as specified by policy.
In the OPs case hes had it installed for a couple days?

At least wipe it real clean. Box too.

Then theres the core....

·
Registered
250 Posts
We have a local rebuild shop that touts a 24 hr turnaround time that sounds like a winner. If it fails I go back and he has to deal with it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
We have a local rebuild shop that touts a 24 hr turnaround time that sounds like a winner. If it fails I go back and he has to deal with it.
The problem you potentially could have is the installation/removal. Are they doing that also? In addition I have had an aftermarket non-Denso alt that worked sometimes, and other times the battery light came on, then went off. Intermittent problem. When you take it to them it may be working fine. Go Denso from RockAuto

1 - 17 of 17 Posts