Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 95 Ody with a 130,000 on it. I thought I got a great deal. I took it to a Honda Dealership to get it checked b/f i bought it. They did some test and told me what was wrong.
-Rear Brakes
-Oil pan gasket leak
-Front Left axle bushing leak.
-Passenger window
-Duct tape on intake.
That was pretty much it. So I researched the problems and decided to buy it. I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I new those problems were not a big deal. The engine seemed strong and the tranny was great!
A week later (today) I filled it up for the first time. I put some premium in it just for the hell of it. Well all day its been hesitant and shaky when I give it gas. its pretty much non responsive and week feeling. So I brought it to a mechanic I was referred to after checking out this site.
I was thinking maybe the solenoids, T.P.S., MAP sensor or maybe a dirty E.G.R. valve from what i read on this forum.

Turns out the 3rd valve was acting funny. We pulled out the plug and it was covered in oil to the tip. The compression was only 40LBS!

We checked the 4th Oil on the tip! It had a 120lbs of pressure.

2nd valve Oil on the tip of plug! It had a 125lbs of pressure.

1st valve Dry tip, 130lbs of pressure.

At this point I was told it is easier to replace the engine then rebuild it.
and that is what I should do!!!!:huh:

What are your guys thoughts and opinions. Im a bit stressed at the moment and I was hoping to drive this vehicle home to MI from Co.:frown:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would first get a second opinion, and engine replacment is cheaper then a rebuild but you do get what you pay for. And finallly if the #3 plug was fouled out and causing a misfire the gas from the injectors could of easily washed out the cylinder causing low compression.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks Ill get a second opinion but im pretty sure its F'ed. Are you sure I need a second opinion? What else could be wrong if the motors not shot? Ill have to spend even more money on it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You may just have a bad head gasket which is not too hard/expensive to replace. It would seem that most of the damage is on cyl 3 which has the lowest compression; maybe a bad piston ring there. In either case, you'll probably have to pull the head off anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts