Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last June 2010 I installed Monroe Sensatrac rear shocks at 30k because I noticed the handling has gradually lost it's feeling since when it was new. In my experience, OEM dampeners don't last much over 30-40k, so I figured it'd be a cheap way to get some of the handling back.

In March 2011, we went on a road trip from IL to FL, fully packed with 6 passengers and overhead Yakima. Since coming back, the van all summer has handled very poor, with lots of body roll. Even my wife noticed it. I also noticed while backing down our driveway, the back end would bounce once I got over the bump at the curb.

Since the economy is bad, $ is tight, and I saved my OEM shocks, I decided I'd spend the 15min putting them back on. Upon removal, the 14mo old, 10k mile Monroe's didn't leak, and still had compression and rebound dampening when statically testing them. With the 3yr old 30k OEM shocks, the van is now noticeably better with less roll going around turns.

Take it FWIW...I've had great luck with Monroe's on my 97 M3 when I was looking for a cheap OEM replacement, after the most comfortable ride (I've since gone the opposite route with $$ AST suspension). Surprisingly, these Monroe's didn't do so well on my Odyssey.

I don't know if this was fluke. Curious if anyone else with Monroe's noticed they didn't last long? Just thought I'd pass this on to the community.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I tried Sensa-Tracs on my 1991 SE-R and the fronts were grossly underdampened right out of the gate and bounced like a hooptie after 2-3 months. In all fairness, they *probably* listed the same stut for the 1.6 as the 2.0 & that may have contributed to their demise as my car was a 2.0

THey warranted them out, promised it was an early production & there was a running production change, but the replacements lasted 6 months & I eventually did KONI red inserts.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
No bad experience so far with 13,000 miles and 20,000 km over 2 years:

Fronts - Monroe Sensatracs

Rears - Monroe Load-Adjusting Shocks

·
Registered
362 Posts
your sensa tracs should have a lifetime warranty if you still have your receipt, just saying. Funny thing is I just installed a pair of rear sensa tracs this past weekend on our Odyssey. So far so good, they are noticeably firmer than the 62k oe rear shocks, probably because they are new.

KYB's are due out later this fall according to their website.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Is the KYB shock out yet for the Ody?
The rears are already out (Part #349091, then #349105), the fronts will be out in the 3rd quarter, as stated by 72triple.

Nicolas

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
No bad experience so far with 13,000 miles and 20,000 km over 2 years:

Fronts - Monroe Sensatracs

Rears - Monroe Load-Adjusting Shocks
I've had mine on for over 2.5 years also and with the same mileage as yours and no problems either. I have Sensa Tracs on both front and back. We went camping 5 times and the van was fully loaded in the back with stuff for a family of 4 and still didn't notice anything abnormal.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps my situation was just a fluke. The Sensatrac's on my M3 were great OEM replacements, and I'm pushing 80k on the ones installed on our 330i, which still work ok. OEM Boge/Sachs dampeners would have been toast after 40-60k.

I'll see about a warranty exchange.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've used Senstracs on several different applications and was never happy with them. I have concluded that either the valving in them doesn't work as designed or they are just junk. In any event, I would look for an alternative.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
I went with the Sensa Trac Load Adjusting shocks. These have a coil-over spring setup to help with higher gross weights, and somewhat stiffer valving (as far as I can tell). My situation is the opposite of the above experiences...the rear end is more heavily damped than the front end (OEM struts, over 100,00 miles on them).

Gotta replace those front struts, now.

OF

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with the Sensa Trac Load Adjusting shocks. These have a coil-over spring setup to help with higher gross weights, and somewhat stiffer valving (as far as I can tell). My situation is the opposite of the above experiences...the rear end is more heavily damped than the front end (OEM struts, over 100,00 miles on them).

Gotta replace those front struts, now.

OF
Thanks for sharing. I just did a quick google search and it appears the load adjusting shocks are not available on the 05+ Odysseys :(. Shame...this van needs more dampening or a rear swaybar to help with body roll. Though admittedly I am a bit more sensitive to this than most drivers who can't tell when they're driving on a flat tire, let alone when handling degrades. :)

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
...this van needs more dampening or a rear swaybar to help with body roll....
I've looked on my Gen 2's, and I just can't figure where a rear sway bar would go, even a custom setup made by a local welder...and man, you are so right, having a rear sway bar would be a huge handling improvement when you've got the rear bench seat loaded up.

OF

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
having a rear sway bar would be a huge handling improvement when you've got the rear bench seat loaded up.

OF
I find the Air-Lift bags helped, though you may not need them since you already have the load adjusting shocks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts