Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I decided to replace all two front struts and two rear shocks because the ride isn't smooth and soft every time I go through even tiny potholes. Today I replaced my rear shocks and tomorrow I'm going to replace the front struts.

While replacing shocks I noticed both bump stops inside the springs were in terrible condition. They started to crack a while ago. I wonder if I really need to replace them as well or not? I'm not sure if those bump stops ever touch the bottom of the lower arm. But how did they crack? So they may have touched the bottom many times...

Here are the pics. Please provide your opinion about these rubber things:

Thanks in advance!

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber Tire Wood

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Helmet

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Tire Rim

Automotive tire Tread Automotive exhaust Synthetic rubber Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Snout Rim

·
Registered
581 Posts
You might consider an air lift setup if you load the van heavily on occasion. The air bags replace the bump stops.

On trips with a family of 6, lots of luggage and a loaded top carrier, my Odysseys are riding on the bump stops.

I would not be comfortable with what I'm seeing on your van. What if you ride through a dip in the road with your family in the van -- will the tires bottom out in the wheelwells?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
As a point of info, I don't think the stops would deteriorate like your pictures show if your van wasn't bottoming quite a bit.

Are you the original owner? Note, the stops will still stop, just not as much as you'd want.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might consider an air lift setup if you load the van heavily on occasion. The air bags replace the bump stops.

On trips with a family of 6, lots of luggage and a loaded top carrier, my Odysseys are riding on the bump stops.

I would not be comfortable with what I'm seeing on your van. What if you ride through a dip in the road with your family in the van -- will the tires bottom out in the wheelwells?
Thank you! 99% of the time I don't travel with lots of weight. Maybe once in 5 years and it was just 2 adults, 2 small dogs and lots or regular luggage in the back of the car. Nothing on the roof. I'm not sure if bags are cheaper or more expensive but both OEM bump stops cost about $80 including shipping.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a point of info, I don't think the stops would deteriorate like your pictures show if your van wasn't bottoming quite a bit.

Are you the original owner? Note, the stops will still stop, just not as much as you'd want.
I got this car when it had about 143 000 miles. At that time I didn't even know bump stops existed. So I'm not sure it happened during my ownership or before. Yeah, bump stops look like they were hitting the bottom more than once. Currently, I have 210 000 miles on the car, so it's been a while.

I may change it later after I change the front struts...

·
Registered
2015 Touring Elite
57 Posts
Hi folks!

I decided to replace all two front struts and two rear shocks because the ride isn't smooth and soft every time I go through even tiny potholes. Today I replaced my rear shocks and tomorrow I'm going to replace the front struts.

While replacing shocks I noticed both bump stops inside the springs were in terrible condition. They started to crack a while ago. I wonder if I really need to replace them as well or not? I'm not sure if those bump stops ever touch the bottom of the lower arm. But how did they crack? So they may have touched the bottom many times...

Here are the pics. Please provide your opinion about these rubber things:

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 168853
View attachment 168850
View attachment 168851
View attachment 168852
View attachment 168854
View attachment 168849
View attachment 168848
Just last night I was on here and one of the things I read about was Timbren kits for Honda Odyssey, a quick search will give you much info but here is a quick video I saw
\

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Airlift 1000 and timbren Hrod2 mentioned here:

so far I had Airlift on 01 ody and was good. Then did that 08. Longer jounce of timbren is also a good option. Air bags allow variable control, which is nice. Either is a good choice.

Reactions: Oddysea

·
Vendor
44 Posts
@Oddysea, both air bags and our SES kits are good options but since it doesn't sound like you'll be carrying around extra weight in the van you may want to consider replacing with OEM bump stops. Air bags will be way too complicated (bags, compressor, hoses, valves, etc.) if you don't have the extra weight to justify it and if you don't use them often they'll dry rot. Our kit is a simple set it and forget it kit with a lifetime warranty but you may not need it if you're only towing or hauling once every 5 years. The only downside of the OEM bumpstops is that you risk this happening again.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Good point Timbren. The better timbren HROD bump stops maybe the other alt to airbags? Its still better than OEM. While I do not tow either (no hitch), the airbags or even longer bump stop has been helpful with just carry heavy loads now and then. In addition to luggage, I mean cement bags, pavement bricks (not often), furniture, etc. With OEM bumps, rear used to go so low with anything extra other then few suitcases when family goes on trip ... also loaded on camping trips.

Airbags was a bit of work one-time, but been great. No compressor setup, etc just bike pump to fill air. The spring mount/dismount work is the same for either. Just the bag valve decision on bumper or elsewhere is a hole drill.

I still have my 08 OEM bumpstops in parts box as backup and I might have thew away the 01s somewhere (car sold). Bags do make the rear suspension last longer and helps posture. Now if OP does not load it that much, then yeah what you said is best. Would the longer timbren jounce still be better choice or OEMs?

Reactions: Oddysea

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you, guys!!!

I really appreciate your feedback and opinion!

I'm sure I will never install airbags in my 2005 210,000-mile Odyssey. At this moment I decided to let it go as-is. I'm sure my rear springs don't compress 5" or more during my everyday driving. I'll check the condition of my cracked OEM bump stops later this year, probably in Oct-Nov.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts