Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to tow an enclosed 6' x 12' Uhaul trailer this weekend and was wondering what drop/rise ballmount to use. Has anyone had any experience towing this trailer?

By the way, thanks for all the great posts. Through searching, I have performed the following upgrades:

Installed -
- B&M Supercooler already installed using Mel's instructions (found @ Jegs for around $45)

Ready to be installed-
- Valley Round-Tube Hitch getting a coat of Semi-flat black paint before install (same as Uhaul etrailer $130+shipping)
- Wiring Kit (from etrailer)
- Airlift 1000 (Jeg's $66)

·
Registered
38 Posts
mrstop said:
I'm getting ready to tow an enclosed 6' x 12' Uhaul trailer this weekend and was wondering what drop/rise ballmount to use. Has anyone had any experience towing this trailer?
Not sure if this will be of any help but:

We've towed an enclosed 4' X 8' U Haul on our '00 Ody equipped with the OEM trailer package. No problems, whatsoever...

The trailer, by the way, was loaded up quite heavily (!!!), from floor to ceiling, back to front.

Also, surprisingly enough, the guys at our local U Haul were quite helpful.

Good luck, and good trailering!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Belated greetings Mrstop,
After performing a seach to get answer to my question, I discoved your identical situation and question. Thus I am disappointed that there is no answer to your post. I have ordered a hidden hitch (class 3) and need to get a ballmount that will allow me to also pull a U Haul trailer. Unless you, or someone else, can suggest the proper size ballmount, I will have to get an answer from U Haul. I trust the collective wisdom of this forum over a random U Haul worker. What size ballmount did you get?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
726 Posts
Here's My setup:

Class II hitch
5 Inch rise ball mount
http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchan...re_Code=E&Product_Code=36065&Category_Code=C2

Those that have a Class III hitch might could get away with less rise. I don't have air bags to compensate for sagging and with a 5 inch rise draw bar it puts the ball about equal to the height of the rear bumper. Also note the draw bar I used has a longer shank on it (10 inch). This helps with clearance between the trailer's tongue and vans bumper. It also lets me open my rear gate while hitched to a trailer.

Don't bother running around to stores if you have a Class II hitch looking for a 5 inch rise... You'll never find it! A Class II draw bar with that much rise and length I only found on-line. Those who have Class III hitches you'll have better luck finding the right height in your local stores.

·
Registered
30 Posts
funfinder4 said:
Here's My setup:

Class II hitch
5 Inch rise ball mount
http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchan...re_Code=E&Product_Code=36065&Category_Code=C2

Those that have a Class III hitch might could get away with less rise. I don't have air bags to compensate for sagging and with a 5 inch rise draw bar it puts the ball about equal to the height of the rear bumper. Also note the draw bar I used has a longer shank on it (10 inch). This helps with clearance between the trailer's tongue and vans bumper. It also lets me open my rear gate while hitched to a trailer.

Don't bother running around to stores if you have a Class II hitch looking for a 5 inch rise... You'll never find it! A Class II draw bar with that much rise and length I only found on-line. Those who have Class III hitches you'll have better luck finding the right height in your local stores.
Funfinder4,
Thanks for sharing your setup. You told me exactly what I needed to know. Although my Hidden Hitch class three hitch has not arrived from eTrailer (as well as a tranny cooler), I will now order a ballmount. I like their adjustable mount TK5007 that will meet your specs and provide some adjustment for any trailer I may pull with a different level tongue height.
Best regards,
John

·
Registered
726 Posts
http://www.etrailer.com/p-TK5007.htm
This draw bar will definitely have enough rise for any trailer you tow. But be forwarded that the side gusset (the angled piece) of this draw bar may very well hit your bumper when inserted. There is not much clearance between the top of most hitches and the Ody's bumper.;)

Those adjustable ones are nice but also very bulky. They are more suited for applications on big SUV's and trucks where bumper to hitch clearance is less of an issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks again for your warning. I had not thought about potential of hitting bumper. While this ballmount is lengthy - 13". it appears that side gusset starts more than half that distance toward bumper. I had better wait until I install hitch before ordering a ballmount. I am not sure how far back hitch will end. I had assumed, for not good reason, hitch would be flush with bumper.

I now regret getting a class III hitch rather than a II. I seem to be paying more for no good reason and am having more trouble finding what I want. I like your ballmount, a well as its cost, but it won't work with a class III. I even considered a reducer to take me from the 2" to a 1 1/4" but that reduces towing capacity and tongue weight by 50% as well as adding its cost ($40) to total cost.

Thanks again,
John

·
Registered
726 Posts
They do make "2 to "1.25 adaptors will work and still give you a 3500/300 lbs rating. However, by the time you buy them (~$35) and a "1.25 ball mount your spending a pretty penny.

I'd just wait until you get your hitch installed then drive around to your local trailer supply stores (or even U-Haul if it's one of those big corporate stores) and see what they have available. You might not need a "5 rise like I do with my Class II hitch, camper with "14 tires, and a full 300 lbs of hitch weight sagging the rear end of the van.;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Funfinder,
I just did some more looking and see a ballmount that I previously rejected because it did not match your model of 10 inches out and 5 inches of rise. But it is only 1/4 inch less in each of those two dimensions. Is that still enough distance to allow hatch to open or should I check to see after hitch is installed?

Its cost is also more reasonable at $25. In fact since it is less than $30 I have to pay shipping. But I could add a ball or something. What is most common size ball that I would need? Here is the part at eTrailer.

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchan...re_Code=E&Product_Code=80240&Category_Code=BM

Regards, John

·
Registered
726 Posts
John, I think that ball mount will work just fine.

The comment on being able to open my rear hatch is more due to the construction of my camper. My camper has a jack (the kind you crank) mounted right in the middle of the hitch that sticks up rather high. With a normal draw bar the distance between the two holes is more like "7 and would make my rear hatch come into contact with the crank-up jack on the camper.

All of this changes from trailer to trailer depending on how the front jack is mounted. However, the good news for you is ALL U-Haul trailers have VERY long tongues, so you don't Jack Knife and hit the side of your van. So you should able to open your rear hatch just fine!:cool:

Oh, and get a 2 inch ball with a "1 shank. This is by far the most common size for light-moderate trailers. Also, all U-Haul's have a coupler that can adjust from "1 7/8 - "2 5/16.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Funfinder4,
Thanks again for all your help. I think I am all set now. I hope Mrstop sees this if he still has need.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts