Honda Odyssey Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery placement matters. My Sebring convertible battery lasted over 15 years. It’s in the wheel well. Have to take the tire off to get to it.

I don’t drive it much so I bought a lithium jumper. Lasts months sitting in the trunk. Worked so good I bought one for the Ody. Low stress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At the most basic level, batteries are a device that maintains a reversible chemical reaction. As with anything in engineering/physics, nothing is 100% efficient, there are always small losses, so they will have a finite lifespan. For a flooded lead-acid battery, one of the first components to go is the electrolyte. Once it is reduced to a level that exposes the tops of the plates, the battery is shot. Even a "sealed" battery is vented and will eventually lose electrolyte. I went through a period 20-25 years ago with my fleet of 4 vehicles where I was replacing batteries every 4 years or so. That's when I realized that I had never replaced the battery in my camper in 8 years. That's when the lightbulb went off - The major difference was that the RV battery had caps where I could check and maintain the electrolyte level. I haven't purchased a "sealed" battery since and now I routinely get 7-8 years out of a battery in daily drivers due to the fact that I can top-off the electrolyte.

I also have 2 Jeeps (not daily drivers) that both have Optima red top AGM batteries in them. One is over 10 years old and the other is over 15. When I need to leave the vehicles parked for an extended period, I remove the negative cable. No other special care or maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At the most basic level, batteries are a device that maintains a reversible chemical reaction. As with anything in engineering/physics, nothing is 100% efficient, there are always small losses, so they will have a finite lifespan. For a flooded lead-acid battery, one of the first components to go is the electrolyte. Once it is reduced to a level that exposes the tops of the plates, the battery is shot. Even a "sealed" battery is vented and will eventually lose electrolyte. I went through a period 20-25 years ago with my fleet of 4 vehicles where I was replacing batteries every 4 years or so. That's when I realized that I had never replaced the battery in my camper in 8 years. That's when the lightbulb went off - The major difference was that the RV battery had caps where I could check and maintain the electrolyte level. I haven't purchased a "sealed" battery since and now I routinely get 7-8 years out of a battery in daily drivers due to the fact that I can top-off the electrolyte.

I also have 2 Jeeps (not daily drivers) that both have Optima red top AGM batteries in them. One is over 10 years old and the other is over 15. When I need to leave the vehicles parked for an extended period, I remove the negative cable. No other special care or maintenance.
All Walmart sells is "maintenance free." You can bet the electrolyte will evaporate. I'm told you can pry off the tops of a maintenance free battery to add water. Or buy one with caps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All Walmart sells is "maintenance free." You can bet the electrolyte will evaporate. I'm told you can pry off the tops of a maintenance free battery to add water. Or buy one with caps.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Yes you can pry off the tops off on many "maintenance free" batteries (I use a screwdriver), and do the maintenance of topping off the electrolyte. :) Might have to loosen the battery hold down to get them off.

Reactions: skelsall

·
Registered
38 Posts
I transferred the new 650 CCA battery (purchased from Autozone) to my Accord because I wanted a higher CCA battery for the Odyssey

Costco and Wal-mart both carry AGM Technology batteries with Wal-mart beating out Costco by $10 plus 1 extra year of replacement.

Wal-mart: EverStart AGM technology 24F battery, $150, 4 years free replacement, 710 CCA.
Costco: Interstate AGM technology 24F battery, $160, 3 years limited warranty replacement, 710 CCA. Interstate by Costco

In the end, I went for a conventional EverStart Maxx for $99 (not $88 as listed on the website). Conventional Maxx by Wal-mart

Just wonder what others think about AGM technology batteries and why or why not one would prefer it over the conventional batteries. I passed it over because the conventional battery EverStart Maxx at Wal-mart had higher CCA (750 vs. 710) not to mention it was $50 less.
I’ve buying the EverStart Maxx for my 03 Pilot, 05 Odyssey since replaced the original battery.
I transferred the new 650 CCA battery (purchased from Autozone) to my Accord because I wanted a higher CCA battery for the Odyssey

Costco and Wal-mart both carry AGM Technology batteries with Wal-mart beating out Costco by $10 plus 1 extra year of replacement.

Wal-mart: EverStart AGM technology 24F battery, $150, 4 years free replacement, 710 CCA.
Costco: Interstate AGM technology 24F battery, $160, 3 years limited warranty replacement, 710 CCA. Interstate by Costco

In the end, I went for a conventional EverStart Maxx for $99 (not $88 as listed on the website). Conventional Maxx by Wal-mart

Just wonder what others think about AGM technology batteries and why or why not one would prefer it over the conventional batteries. I passed it over because the conventional battery EverStart Maxx at Wal-mart had higher CCA (750 vs. 710) not to mention it was $50 less.
I’ve been using Walmart EverStart Maxx for my 03Pilot n 05Ody, I replace avg 4-5 years good or badn. I’m very satisfied made by JC here in US n like higher CCA needed during the winter. They are good, cheap n on sale every now n then n last to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just Replace it!

I agree with SCOTTMACHO, IOZAWA, and THSCOTT, as an old-car guy with 2 modern drivers and 3 antique cars, I've been buying car batteries for more than 60 years and learned many years ago THERE IS NO GOOD TIME FOR A BATTERY TO FAIL, especially if your wife, daughter or granddaughter drives the car.

I buy conventional batteries at 36 months (Usually from Costco) and replace them in my own comfortable garage at my convenience. Am I wasting battery life? Maybe, but it's okay. For roughly $1 per month I don't have to worry about it.

In the 1960s batteries failed gradually, your starter cranked slower for several weeks and gave warning of impending failure. Today, your starter spins as always until one day you go to lunch with a normal start and after lunch it is completely dead.

I have not kept a battery to 37 months in many years. Nor have I or my wife had to walk.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Walmart for the price. Batteries are/were made by Johnson Control. During Covid I had to replace the battery in our Odyssey, customer service couldn’t prorate due to tire center closure. I left and walked right back in, explaining that I wasn’t trying to be a jerk, but I needed this issue resolved. Thankfully, another CSR was at the counter and knew what to do. Was a $5 price difference which I paid and walked out with a new battery.
I do think their warranty is now 3 year instead of 4.
I’d just stick with a regular battery over AGM.

·
Registered
125 Posts
"good" battery dying in 2-4 days of sitting does not sound ok to me. It should last couple of weeks at least. Sounds like you should check AC relay or rear latch (try to pull DTC) and test the idle parasitic drain.
I had a noiseless SLIPPING serpentine belt under driving (at idle) the alternator, causing all kinds of issues. I swore it was battery even replaced but same darn issue...

·
Registered
17 Posts
My OEM battery lasted a little over 2 years. I got a regular battery from NAPA to replace it and it lasted a little over a year so these Odyssey's burn through batteries pretty fast. Better off getting the AGM battery if you want it to last over 2 years. Just don't go through the dealer since they will charge you around 300 bucks to replace it with the labor charge. Sams or Costco probably give the best prices with the long warrantee. If you buy it from a regular auto parts store they usually give you only 2 years warrantee or less. I'm lucky my last battery died right before the warranty ended.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Costco and Wal-mart both carry AGM Technology batteries with Wal-mart beating out Costco by $10 plus 1 extra year of replacement. Both Wal-mart and Costco batteries are made by Johnson Controls.

Have a 2011 Odyssey - It would be more prudent to choose the Costco brand - due to their incredible membership warranty

I bought the InterState AGM - returned it on the 34th month and was provided a free replacement - this scenario has played out not once but twice with another car - try returning a 32 month old battery to Walmart...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Have a 2011 Odyssey - It would be more prudent to choose the Costco brand - due to their incredible membership warranty

I bought the InterState AGM - returned it on the 34th month and was provided a free replacement - this scenario has played out not once but twice with another car - try returning a 32 month old battery to Walmart...
I agree that Costco would definitely provides better customer service than Wal-mart because you are a paying member.

That said, it is still hard for me to ignore the fact that I would be paying $10 more and get 1 year less of warranty for an exact battery (they both made from Johnson Controls) from Costco than I would get from Wal-mart. I am not a spoke person for Wal-mart, but common sense tells me that I should buy from Wal-mart instead.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I my area I'm happy to pay 20% more to avoid Walmart. :LOL:

Although recently I have starting ordering online from Walmart with ship to home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Walmart will price match their online price in store if you show it to them on your phone.

I just tried to take a spare 24F Maxx that wouldn't hold a charge to Walmart for a new one today. Half an hour of 6 people not knowing how to return a battery on the "new system". Finally someone came and told me that because there were no replacements in stock, like the app said there was, they couldn't honor the 3 year free replacement. Now I have to just carry the battery around until they get it back in stock. Apparently they only stock up to 2 at a time at my local walmart.
I tried to take a battery back to Walmart that had a month left on the free replacement, they told me that they couldn't replace it because it was over 90 days old. They had 2 in stock. I won't ever buy a battery from there again. I'll pay the extra to have a battery that the seller actually knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I tried to take a battery back to Walmart that had a month left on the free replacement, they told me that they couldn't replace it because it was over 90 days old. They had 2 in stock. I won't ever buy a battery from there again. I'll pay the extra to have a battery that the seller actually knows what they are doing.
They lied to you, or didn't know what they were talking about. At that point it's up to you to find an employee that will follow company policy. You should not have walked away.

Edit: Battery warranties at Walmart are stored by the serial number on the top of the battery, not the manufacturers dated sticker. You can exchange your defective battery at any time during the warranty that is printed on the battery that they sell. Even without a receipt.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
They lied to you, or didn't know what they were talking about. At that point it's up to you to find an employee that will follow company policy. You should not have walked away.

Edit: Battery warranties at Walmart are stored by the serial number on the top of the battery, not the manufacturers dated sticker. You can exchange your defective battery at any time during the warranty that is printed on the battery that they sell. Even without a receipt.
+1 here.

When I checked out my newly purchased battery, the system told me to scan in the battery serial number. So I figured that their system would know whether a returned battery is under warranty or not.
I don't think Wal-mart would be where it is today if it lies to customers. In reality, I think it's the other way around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with all that a battery should last at least 6 years when properly maintained (kept charged). One point I did not see (unless I missed it) is that most cars since around 2000 have anti-theft, radios with anti-theft, or other electronics that continually require a small amount of current from the battery. As several have said, COVID has minimized the amount of miles driven daily/weekly so the car just sits there slowly draining the battery; and I suspect that the newer models (2018+??) have even more electronics that continuously require a small amount of power. We have an '06 Ody that has sit unused for up to 3+ weeks and still has power to start; and a '12 Subaru Outback that has sit for up to 6 weeks and still starts OK. Both have Walmarts Everstart MAXX batteries, and both original OEM batteries lasted 6 years. My around town/area driver is a '96 Toyota T-100 4WD pickup that also has a regular Walmart battery that is now 11 years old and I can tell it is finally getting a bit low due to a slightly slower starting rpm; the only continuous drain is a digital clock - nothing else. I had it tested recently and it showed at least 80% power left and I guess I'll find out someday just how correct that was; but since it has a 5-speed, jump starting by rolling down an incline is not too difficult, or even getting someone to help me push it. Also as others have said, I like that I can check the electrolyte level in all of these and keep them topped up. On rare occasions we have accidentally left an interior light on that discharged the battery so I just put a charger on it; if one has set for some time I will also put the charger on it to get it back to full charge. I don't know if it helps but I also use distilled water instead of tap water to minimize mineral build up. Bottom line is that modern cars need more battery attention due to all the electronics, so my suggestion is to keep them charged with a charger if they are not driven regularly. One more point about Walmart batteries, Consumer Reports stated several years ago that the same model battery can have both a North and South version and that the North version lasted a bit longer (at that time I think there was an N or an S in the number). I live in East TN and both Walmarts in town carry the North version, but 25 miles down the road (south) they carry only the South version; consequently I buy only the North version, even if I have to drive further north to get it. The North version is in all my vehicles.

·
Registered
380 Posts

That's exactly what I said. See my post from 9 days ago.

-pop the 2 caps and make sure fluid is over the plates in all 6 cells, fill with distilled water if low
-keep battery plugged in to a tender with desulfate feature when car is not driven, especially during the winter

61 - 78 of 78 Posts