Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tried searching on this topic, but no luck..

I am looking to replace the battery on my '06.

I live in the Toronto area, but go to Detroit occasionally.

I am not in a hurry

1. where is the best place to pick up a battery, pricewise

2. what should I get ?

Thanks.

UPDATE: i bought a 108-35N from Walmart at $87Canadian.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
463 Posts
And...you can find a Walmart almost anywhere and probably 24 hours a day, unlike most other stores.

·
Registered
539 Posts
^ What they said. ^ :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Also, Consumer Reports November 2010 edition rates the Walmart's Everstart Maxx as its Best Buy in four of its five type categories, and Kirkland as the Best Buy in the other of the five categories.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am not sure how long the optima batteries last, someone else might know. I saw a TV show on Speed Channel where they had a rep talk about the batteries. Obviously I did not adsorb all he was saying. But the net did stick with me that they are a better battery in terms of vibration immunity, no acid to leak, etc - but also about 2-3x the price depending on the model. For something like a jet ski, boat, race car where you want to have something that can take a beating, its the best. I guess one would have to quantify how much satisfaction they get knowing they have an optima battery starting their vehicle vs a walmart battery. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
We've had an Optoma yellow top in our 2002 for about 5 years, I believe. Its survived several occurances of overnight interior lights left on, and one two week period left completely idle while we were on vacation only a month ago, and its never failed to start the van.

I'd buy another. I think this one was $135 or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have two of the Ever-Start Maxx from Wallyworld. One of them sits in my camp car, a 1986 Toyota 4-Runner which hasn't seen a paved road in 4 years. In the fall when I close up camp for the winter, I pull the negative cable off and shut the hood. Around Memorial day I reverse the process and turn the key. It always starts.

I will keep buying this line of battery as long as they are available.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I had an optima yellow top in my car. The only reason why I had bought it besides hearing they where good was because I have a 3000 watt stereo system in it. I had the battery for a little over three years and one day I stopped for gas and when I went to go start my car, all I got was a one time pop noise. It was completely dead. It wouldn't even turn the buzzer on when when the door was open. I popped the hood and the pop noise I heard was the two little vents on top. They both popped off and hit the hood. I was hoping there was some type of warranty left, but they told me there was nothing. They also told me that they have had so many problems with the optima batteries that they stopped carrying them. So I just bought a similar type of battery but by a different manufacturer. Never again will I buy an optima.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Kscha41 said:
I had an optima yellow top in my car. The only reason why I had bought it besides hearing they where good was because I have a 3000 watt stereo system in it. I had the battery for a little over three years and one day I stopped for gas and when I went to go start my car, all I got was a one time pop noise. It was completely dead. It wouldn't even turn the buzzer on when when the door was open. I popped the hood and the pop noise I heard was the two little vents on top. They both popped off and hit the hood. I was hoping there was some type of warranty left, but they told me there was nothing. They also told me that they have had so many problems with the optima batteries that they stopped carrying them. So I just bought a similar type of battery but by a different manufacturer. Never again will I buy an optima.
Odd. I run a red top in my Maxima. I even forgot how long its been but I'd say at least 5 years. No problems yet. I guess I just jinxed myself though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Kscha41 said:
call me simple minded, but maybe the 3000 Watt stereo use had something to do with its demise...

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I have Duralast Golds in all 3 of my cars.....I like'em and Free replacement for 3 yrs....8 Yr pro-rate

·
Registered
511 Posts
When buying batteries, do you guys check the manufacture dates?

Last time I purchased a battery at BJs, I sorted through their stock and was surprised to see a mix of old and faily new batteries.

Obviously, I went with the newer one. :)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
dvpatel said:
Odd. I run a red top in my Maxima. I even forgot how long its been but I'd say at least 5 years. No problems yet. I guess I just jinxed myself though.
I thought they were good too. I was telling people that how good they are. Not any more.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
brians said:
call me simple minded, but maybe the 3000 Watt stereo use had something to do with its demise...
It could of but ever since I bought my truck I really haven't driven my car that much, so I really haven't listen to that stereo in about a year. Oh well, sh1t happens. Also the yellow top is made for stereos so it should handle it. I never had a problem until it died out of know where.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I check manufacture dates, yes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hello,

I need to order a new battery as well.
Which one would you recommend to use?

1. Optima REDTOP RT S 4,2 [BCI 34]
Order#: 802 250 000 888 2
length (mm): 254
height (mm): 200
width (mm): 172
Voltage: 12V
CCA: 815
Capacity: 50Ah
Reserve Capacity: BCI 100

2. Optima REDTOP RT R4,2 [BCI 34R]
Order#: 802 251 000 888 2
length (mm): 254
width (mm): 172
CCA: 815
Capacity: 50Ah
Reserve Capacity: BCI 100

3. VARTA SILVER Dynamic
Varta# 563 401 061
length (mm): 242
height (mm): 190
width (mm): 175
CCA: 610
Capacity: 63Ah
Size: H5R/L2R

4. VARTA SILVER Dynamic
Varta# 563 400 061
length (mm): 242
height (mm): 190
CCA: 610
Capacity: 63Ah
Size: H5/L2

5. Arktis-Batterie High Tech 60 Ah -/+
length (mm): 225
CCA: 390
Capacity: 60Ah

6. Honda original battery

In Germany it's a bit more difficult to find a fitting battery. But I assume each one of the six batteries should fit well. I was thinking about the Optima Redtop but I've read in this forum that the quality isn't as good as it used to be?

Regards,

Niels

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have been using the military spec. Odyssey (no relation) PC1200MJT for 5 years now and it is still going strong. Also available from Summit Racing and other vendors.

Odyssey PC1200 MJT

1 - 20 of 26 Posts